Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my 5.7 fox coupe build

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 11:35 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default my 5.7 fox coupe build

Ok this is just to go ahead and start my own thread so if I have any specific questions I can ask. I mostly have an idea of whats needed for the swap though bc I've been searching my *** off lol. ANyways I went and picked up the engine yesterday, it's out of an 01 Avalanche. Not for sure of miles, but I got it for a measely $100 . It's missing oil pan, one rod cap, and the intake.

Now I was planning on running the F-body oil pan and windage tray anyways so no biggie there.

I have an LS1 intake and fuel rails and injectors that came off my 99 ta from the LS6 intake swap. I was planning on using it unless I cant for some reason.

I also read that the water pump will cause clearance issues if I run the stock truck pump and the ls1 intake. But I did read where one guy got it to work by twisting it and making room with a hammer .

hoping to pick up a fox coupe roller soon, it is a 4 cyl though. So if I buy the AJE Kmember can I still use the stock A arms if I buy the perched also? Or will the 5.0 stuff only work?

Thanks for looking. This will be a budget build and prob a slow build as I will pick up parts as I get the extra cash.

Last edited by bjamick; 04-29-2010 at 09:49 AM.
Old 06-28-2009, 05:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

yes you can used the factory lower control arm.you only need perched when you have tubular control arms and keep the coil spring.as for the water pump,buy a 07 and up truck water pump do to it points away from the tb and will clear car intake.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:12 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweet. Turbo it
Old 06-29-2009, 09:00 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by montecarloss
yes you can used the factory lower control arm.you only need perched when you have tubular control arms and keep the coil spring.as for the water pump,buy a 07 and up truck water pump do to it points away from the tb and will clear car intake.
Ok thank you for that info. Hoping to be picking up the car soon. I will first start with getting all the fueling needs done first. Guess I'll be going with the whole corvette regulator/filter deal to make it easy.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Well a major update is now in order .

A Calypso green coupe has made its way into my garage. Onto the pics of the car exactly how I got it. I will start messing with the wiring tonight after work. Going to remove the old ecu and all the other crap that goes with it. I found all kinds of lil modules on the car. All that crap is coming off.

I'm kind of debating on whether boring out the 5.3 to take an ls1 piston and rod and run the 5.3 crank or just do a hone job and run the 5.3 pistons. Can't make up my mind, but I've got plenty of time to think about it.

Here's the pics of the roller:

Look at this rats nest .

Giving her a nice bath.

Overall I think I have a great starting point. Can't wait to tear into her tonight.

More pics to come as progress ensues.

Last edited by bjamick; 08-11-2009 at 10:30 AM.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Well got a lil bit more to update. I have since been given a complete set of rods and pistons for an LS1. So I'm having the block bored to take the ls1 stuff.

I have also got a 99 5.3 wiring harness, pcm, and fuse box. I have started tearing into it this week. Man there is alot of wires to deal with. I just started on the red connector and started tracing the wires I didn't need. The most time consuming is pulling off the tape that was all over the harness. That tool forever it seemed like, but I taped up some spots to try and keep the basic shape of the harness intact. Anyways here are just a few cell pics from last night.

I've also got most of the parts to get the engine running. I need to buy the headers that will work, some head bolts, gaskets, and just some other misc. stuff. Overall it's moving along pretty quick, just trying to tackle one thing at a time so I don't overload myself and it take forever. After I finish the harness, I will start on the fuel system, gotta get the adapter pieces for it to work with the LS1 fuel rail.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

cool man, keep me posted cause I just picked up a nice coupe car myself. Almost the same as yours but the color is a little darker. I going to do a LS1 swap too and this will be mine first one. I may do a 5.3 myself if I can get it cheaper.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:26 PM
On The Tree

Looks like a nice project, please keep us updated
Old 08-12-2009, 10:05 AM
TECH Veteran

Bout got the wiring harness done. Go a bunch of stuff labeled to where it needs to go. One question though, I'm trying to remove the rear o2 sensors. All I have left running to it is a pink wire that runs from the o2 sensor to C2 on my 99 5.3 harness, but there are 2 pink wires there. Then a ground, I'm guessing I can just cut the pink wire at the C2 connector and then cut the ground where all the grounds meet up.

The way I'm seeing it, it that it shouldn't cause any issues to do it like that.

Also the front O2 sensors for trucks have a different type connector, and it threw me off when looking at the o2's.

Here is a pic for reference, for anyone else looking into using a truck harness.

Last edited by bjamick; 08-12-2009 at 10:10 AM.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:45 PM
Teching In

Nice project. I have a calypso notch sitting waiting for me to yank the lump/slushbox. Keep up with the updates so I'll get off my a$$!!
Old 08-18-2009, 04:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Ok guys just checking to see if I am somewhat correct here. I've got most of my wiring harness done, now I've got the wire separated that will be having an external connection. Well 2 of those wires are what's in question here.

Here is the diagram I am looking at.

Hopefully the pic shows.

So what I'm seeing is the Red/lt green wire is the always hot. (So this is the wire that I will run from my fuse box to power up the switch, no?)

The White/pink wire ends up being the Hot in run/start? (This is the wire that I will run to power up my 5.3 fuse box, am I correct?)

Maybe one of you guys can help me out.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:41 PM
Teching In

The red/ltgreen is hot in run/start and the white/pink is hot in start only
Old 08-19-2009, 01:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Ok so the yellow wires must be where the 12V actually power the switch. Thanks.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Progress???
Old 01-25-2010, 08:16 PM
On The Tree

More pics buddy, get motivated. I got my glenns fuel tank almost installed and I have an A1000 pump. What are you going to do for a fuel system.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey, we have the same car! Are you going to keep it that color?
Old 01-26-2010, 06:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 598 Likes on 474 Posts

doesn't the rear of the block say 4.8 ?
Old 02-02-2010, 02:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Sorry guys, I haven't got much to update right now. I've already just about done most of the free stuff. Just bout to start trying to remove anything not needed for weight reduction.

As for the fuel system I'm going to be using the stock fuel tank with a walbro 255 installed. Then use a corvette regulator setup, then run it to the stock ls1 fuel rail I'm using. Shouldn't be expensive at all I hope, i found a great site with cheap pumps.

As for the engine I am prob going to keep it semi stock for now. Just to get it running, should still run some 12.5's or so and mid 11's or so on a nice 150 shot which should be plenty of fun.

Also gotta get the interior wiring done to, gotta remove all the BS that I won't be using anymore. I just want to have the basics work like headlights, blinkers, brake lights, and a radio. I've got all mechanical gauges waiting for me to make a cluster for the dash.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heck yea man! Keep it up! I'm picking up a coupe and have been thinking about the swap. What headers, oil pan, motor mounts are you going with?
Old 04-29-2010, 10:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Alright guys it's been awhile since my last update. Since then I have sold off my 5.3 stuff, and bought an 02 LQ4 for the stang. I got it for cheap bc it was supposedly knocking. Well me and the gf pulled it apart to only find a couple collapsed lifters .

I would like to add some flat top pistons to up the compression, but I can't seem to find anyone to trade with me.

Also I have been working on the wiring here lately whenever I could find time. I have got the wiring pretty much just about finished. Going to be buying a fuse block for the body harness, and get the gauges wired in also. Probably going to use a factory connector that I cut out of the mustang for the gauges, so if I have to remove the cluster I can just un-plug and do whatever.

Anyways how bout some pics of the wiring:

All the wires going to the engine bay:

All the wires going to the back of the car:

Look at all those connectors:

In the middle of cleaning out some wires:

What's all that?:

Here is the pic of just about everything out, now just got to tape it up. First I'm going to make sure everything works before I tape it up and loom it.

Also almost forgot here are some pics of me and the gf tearing apart the 6.0:

I asked her to label some bags for all the bolts for me:

Quick Reply: my 5.7 fox coupe build