Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine years for swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 04:15 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Engine years for swap

I have been researching here and everywhere else for the last few weeks for a swap of a 5.3 engine into my 1972 GMC Jimmy 4X4.

I have been looking at engines lately and was wondering if there is a big difference in years and or should I stay away from certain years?

I am looking at a 2003 , 2005, and 2007 all 5.3 DBW all with similar mileage. Of course the 2003 is the cheapest. So please tell me what to look for. One might be missing the DBW pedal and TAC box. What should I expect to pay for them if they are missing. The 2007 was hit hard in the front but the engine was not hit, anything I should be concerned there?

Thanks a lot. This place has answered a lot of my questions already.

Mark
Old 11-02-2009, 04:26 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2003 still had the regulator and return line at the rails. After that they moved to the filter. May be be easier or harder depending on how you look at it. If you decide against the DBW, I think ECM 's up to late 2003 still had the driver for the IAC on a cable TB. I'm keeping DBW on my 03 because I found the pedal and TAC on ebay for 47 shipped. I'm swapping a 03 L59 into an 83 K5 myself.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:43 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any particular reason for the 5.3 ? I live in the midwest and Gen III's are still rather expensive. The 2007 would be aluminum block and heads. I've worked for several major auto wreckers starting engines and IF the wreck didnt touch the drivetrain or change its position AND you can inspect it top and bottom i'd say buy it; with the pedal and tac box of course if available. There are several of those swaps running already around here as well if you search. I'd say look to spend about $ 700-900 without the pedal and box assuming you're talking scrap yard. Here in the classified $7-$9 bills would probably buy you engine, pedal, box and harness. Good Luck
Old 11-02-2009, 05:40 PM
Launching!

2003 is $650 negotiable (thinks he has the pedal and TAC but I could probably get it cheaper if it is missing anything) 53,000

A local scrap yard has a few 2005s already pulled. He will make them whole with pedal, alt, PS pump, AC, harness for $8-900. I really would like everything from the same vehicle just because. Have been there looking and didn't buy anything (im picky)

Found a local one one craigslist 2007 and I can have everything. He wanted $950 engine, tranny, and TC. I don't want or need the TC so if I can get the pedal and all wiring for $8-900 it might be a deal with 30,000 miles. This is the one hit hard in front but he says didn't hit the engine?

I can run a return line since This is a swap anyway but the 2007 sounds good. Wish I could see it run but I can't see any of them run?

Thanks so far. Apreciate any input I get.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:43 PM
Launching!

Oh and why a 5.3? Lower mileage than any TBI and half the money of a crate engine. The LS engines are roller cammed making good power? Why not?
Old 11-02-2009, 10:00 PM
Launching!

I shoulda been clearer ... why not a 6.0 ? should be had for comparable money.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:25 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by kj598bbc
I shoulda been clearer ... why not a 6.0 ? should be had for comparable money.
Part of me trying to justify the cost is fuel mileage? If the right deal came along I have no problem going 6.0. The vehicle I am putting it in is not driven hard so it isn't necessary.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:27 PM
Launching!

Looked at the 2007 today. Broken alternator, alternator/power steering bracket, left side idler, maybe water pump. The engine cover is cracked all of which I don't think is a deal breaker. On the front left of the intake manifold there is a port that goes over to something on the right side of the manifold, both nipples are broken off. It looks like the rest of the port is replaceable but I am not sure. Can any of you guys tell me? The front was hit high (alternator height), it doesn't look like the crank pulley or anything like that has been touched?

With 30,000 miles needing those parts with harness, pedal, engine, transmission what would you offer?
Old 11-03-2009, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Thealien
Looked at the 2007 today. Broken alternator, alternator/power steering bracket, left side idler, maybe water pump. The engine cover is cracked all of which I don't think is a deal breaker. On the front left of the intake manifold there is a port that goes over to something on the right side of the manifold, both nipples are broken off. It looks like the rest of the port is replaceable but I am not sure. Can any of you guys tell me? The front was hit high (alternator height), it doesn't look like the crank pulley or anything like that has been touched?

With 30,000 miles needing those parts with harness, pedal, engine, transmission what would you offer?
The water pump is cheap the alt bracket/alt cheap and common. Depends on what it is. If you had to get a new intake they aren't that much. I would look at the block and the heads. Make sure no damage there.

2005 and up are returnless fuel rails and all you need to do is run the vette regulator/ filter to give you a return to the tank.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:30 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Bo185
The water pump is cheap the alt bracket/alt cheap and common. Depends on what it is. If you had to get a new intake they aren't that much. I would look at the block and the heads. Make sure no damage there.

2005 and up are returnless fuel rails and all you need to do is run the vette regulator/ filter to give you a return to the tank.
Block and heads look good. Even the waterpump might be okay but some scratches on the front so like you say, cheap to replace. He is asking 950 for engine, transmission, and transfer case. I am thinking of offering $700 hoping to get all the parts for $300? A complete harness, engine, and transmission for $1000 +- is a good deal?
Old 11-03-2009, 11:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Talking

A complete harness, engine, and transmission for $1000 +- is a good deal?
I'd say so... If I came across a deal like that, I'd be the owner of a third LS-type engine! BTW, I have one of those alt/PS brackets that I'll probably never use - I'll let you have it for just a few bucks + shipping...

Make sure to post plenty of pics, I really like those trucks.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:21 PM
Launching!

If the engine is still in the vehicle why wont the yard run it for you ? If they're asking $950 for engine, tranny, and case i'd definitely say counter with a grand for EVERYTHING you need. If you spend a lil more i think its still a great deal.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by V8Rumble
I'd say so... If I came across a deal like that, I'd be the owner of a third LS-type engine!
Me too, then I would have to look around for something to put it in.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:37 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by kj598bbc
If the engine is still in the vehicle why wont the yard run it for you ? If they're asking $950 for engine, tranny, and case i'd definitely say counter with a grand for EVERYTHING you need. If you spend a lil more i think its still a great deal.
It is not at a scrap yard. It is at a body/repair shop and they bought it for the rear clip. They can't run it because there in no battery, radiator, MAF, alternator, the broken intake part I mentioned.

They don't have the other parts to make it whole. A scrap yard around here has takeouts for 1500 for engine, trans, harness, DBW pedal etc but they don't have it all from 1 vehicle. I kind of like this one even if I have to repair a few things because it is all from 1 vehicle (and maybe cheaper).
Old 11-04-2009, 05:42 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by V8Rumble
I'd say so... If I came across a deal like that, I'd be the owner of a third LS-type engine! BTW, I have one of those alt/PS brackets that I'll probably never use - I'll let you have it for just a few bucks + shipping...

Make sure to post plenty of pics, I really like those trucks.
I'll keep the parts in mind, thanks. I apreciate it. I spent a couple hours here and elsewhere researching all the parts and even with a replacing an intake (might just need to replace the vacuum port/nipple) the bracket/alternator, left belt tensioner, and MAF (didn't see the harness or connector, forgot to look) it might cost me $3-400?
Old 11-04-2009, 07:16 AM
Launching!

Go for it !!! After closer inspection to ensure they're are no broke tranny parts, as i posted before i've worked at several yards starting and evaluating vehicles just like the one you described and at a body shop they should'nt have a problem allowing you to inspect the truck on a lift. Then you can look closely at the tailshaft to make sure the driveshaft didnt rupture it.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:42 AM
TECH Addict

It is not at a scrap yard. It is at a body/repair shop and they bought it for the rear clip. They can't run it because there in no battery, radiator, MAF, alternator, the broken intake part I mentioned.

They don't have the other parts to make it whole. A scrap yard around here has takeouts for 1500 for engine, trans, harness, DBW pedal etc but they don't have it all from 1 vehicle. I kind of like this one even if I have to repair a few things because it is all from 1 vehicle (and maybe cheaper).
Call me paranoid but I like getting everything from the same car... Besides you never know what you will need for the project. Sometimes buying stuff you may have gotten free just for asking would have cost hundreds and negated the original "good deal" you got. My first Gen III engine had the MAF sitting in the plastic air hose next to the crate and a broken coil. They tossed that stuff in free even though I didn't realize the MAF was in the tube just cause I mentioned it had the same stock# as the engine. New coils are $50 and an OEM MAF is $250 which was over 50% of the engine's cost if I bought them separate. Of course there is always eBay and the "list" if you are patient.

I still think it is a deal for the complete running gear... even missing the stuff you mentioned.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:22 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
Call me paranoid but I like getting everything from the same car... Besides you never know what you will need for the project. Sometimes buying stuff you may have gotten free just for asking would have cost hundreds and negated the original "good deal" you got.

I still think it is a deal for the complete running gear... even missing the stuff you mentioned.
I think the guy at the scrap yard was annoyed at me because I wanted everything from the same truck when he had 3-4 takeouts he could make whole?

I even think the guy with the smashed truck at the repair shop would be more inclined to take a deal if I offered to remove the harness, pedal, and all parts I want myself so he only has to pull the engine/transmission. It would also give me a chance to familiarize myself with the layout of things and save him some labor? I should be able to get 02 sensors, power steering hoses (easier to find something to work if I have both ends)VSS. Battery cables?

Did the 2007 still have a TAC box? I thought I read that the DBW did away with the TAC and the PCM handled that after a certain year/certain models?
Old 11-05-2009, 09:15 AM
Launching!

We struck a deal. I can have engine, trans, harness, PCM I remove harness he removes engine for $750. A 2007 even if I need $3-500 in parts I think it is still an OK deal. Time will tell. I'll post pictures when I get it and maybe some of you can help me aquire a few parts. Probably going to go all new water pump, alt, power steering pump.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:38 AM
TECH Addict

We struck a deal. I can have engine, trans, harness, PCM I remove harness he removes engine for $750. A 2007 even if I need $3-500 in parts I think it is still an OK deal. Time will tell. I'll post pictures when I get it and maybe some of you can help me aquire a few parts. Probably going to go all new water pump, alt, power steering pump.
Did you show up with ? Wow! Is this with the trans too or without? If it's without, grab the flexplate, bolts and bellhousing bolts while you are at it since they are all metric.

Nice.

As far as TAC module, I'm not sure but if it is a box that looks important and you don't know what it is take it and sort it later.

Quick Reply: Engine years for swap