Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AN fittings for F-Body PS Pump?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 07:28 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default AN fittings for F-Body PS Pump?

I'm sure some -6 or -8 adapters exist for the F-Body PS pump.

I have a lot of leftover SS braided -6 line that's PS safe, and I would like to use it to make my hybrid PS lines, but I can't seem to find the proper adapter fittings to work with an F-Body power steering pump.

It looks like at least one of the adapters will have to have a 90* on it to clear the pulley.

Can anybody point me in the right direction?
Old 07-19-2010, 07:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can not use standard SS braided line for Power steering, their is way too much pressure (1600+ psi ?), You will need to use something that is rated for PS. Russell has a Teflon line SS Braided hose that is rated for Power Steering.

Most of the AN vendor have adpater. you need the 0-ring to AN adapter for your High side of the pump. Get a Flared to AN adapter for the power steering box.

I used the ORing adapter with a 90 AN from Russell on the pump and it cleared. I also used their adpater for the box. I don't have the part numbers, but you should be able to look them up in there catalog or if you search in this forum many have posted there part numbers before many times.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:18 PM
Launching!

Hmm....the hose I have says it's PS safe. I guess they mean PS "safe" just as far as the fluid goes, because it says it's only rated for 1,000psi.

Since that's the case, I would probably be better off just getting my LS1/Mazda hoses joined by a shop rather than fronting the additional cost of more braided PS specialty hose. I just figured I would use my surplus if I could.

Can anybody tell me which end of this hose goes into the pump? Seems like no matter which way I route it, there's no way for this hose to connect into the PS pump and clear the pulley and/or other accessories close by. Either end of the hose sticks out further than the pulley itself?

I wish I had an F-Body nearby to look at. Even on the Mitchell diagrams I can pull up at work I can't tell for sure the orientation of it.
Attached Thumbnails AN fittings for F-Body PS Pump?-getimage.php.jpg  
Old 07-24-2010, 06:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure if all F-Body adaptations are the same.
Here's from my experience in matching up the pwr steer box in my 67 RS to a 98 LS1 pump.
67rsss provided the helpful info listed in the following thread...
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...-steering.html see entry #3
67rsss used the Russell braided pwr steer rated hose.
I did the following, and ran accross a problem....which I haven't rectified yet.
The following is from a PM to 67rsss, which he hasn't replied to yet. Sorry for so many words, but there is a context to the whole thing.
PM to 67rsss...."I decided to order all of the fittings from Aero-quip, and while on Aero quip's site, I ordered their -6an hose as well, because their braided blue hose matched the color of my car.
All went well until I arrived at the last connection-plugging the hose onto the plastic nipple on the power steering pump. Without modification, the hose opening will never go onto that nipple. I've tried heating a large phillips head shaft, then melting the rubber a bit to widen the hole...then, taking a dremel and grinding it somewhat. By the time the hose opening is wide enough, the metal braid is beginning to show, and I'm not sure that's a good idea.
I see that you bought the Russell braided Powerflex line. Did you have any trouble with the same connection?
If Russell line works better, I may have to buy new hose ends because Aero Quip may not be compatible."

I'm assuming that 67rsss had no trouble fitting Russell hose to the nipple on the pump.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No.. the Russell Power Steering (teflon lined) hose will not fit over the plastic nipple on the return side. The return side is low pressure so any power steering rated hose. you just have to find some that matches your high side.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by bczee
No.. the Russell Power Steering (teflon lined) hose will not fit over the plastic nipple on the return side. The return side is low pressure so any power steering rated hose. you just have to find some that matches your high side.
Thanks for the clarification.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:02 PM
TECH Resident

The f-body pump end has the sharp bend end and it faces the block so it clears the pulley
Old 07-24-2010, 11:05 PM
TECH Junkie

jonathan...I'm not sure which f-body you have....here's a few more ideas, including one I found which will enable me to use the eaton blue braided line to connect to my pwr steer pump nipple.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...-fittings.html last entry in thread!
Old 07-28-2010, 06:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its much cheaper, easier and reliable to bring your LS1 and RX7 hose to a hydraulic shop and have them spliced together. I tried making one out of AN line for my RX7 and it just leaked all over the place.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:03 PM
8 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i used regular braided hose on my car. it wasnt even the steel braided, it was the cloth-like pro-lite stuff. you can get the fittings through earls i think or maybe it was russell, i will check when i get home. i used -6 on the pressure side and if you use -8 on the return it will fit right over the plastic nipple. i found a pic of it....

Last edited by 9sec93; 07-28-2010 at 08:13 PM.

Quick Reply: AN fittings for F-Body PS Pump?