Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ4/T56 into my 69 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 08:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I received my radiator, shroud and fans, oil line -10an 6ft., straight fittings-10an, 20lb AFFCo radiator cap, fitting for my clutch line, tool for the clutch line, rubber pads for the radiator mount, radiator mounts, line lock and a Lokar dip stick. Waiting on my fuel pump. It will be here tomorrow. My remote oil filter adapter and fittings are on back order till 3/12. I have plenty to keep me busy until then. Sorry for the late response as I had to see the tax lady tonight and find out how bad I was for 2010. All I can say is I am getting a refund from both State and Federal= car parts!!!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-23-2011, 08:27 PM
TECH Addict

$179 for an all aluminum 26" double pass radiator is not a bad deal at all. Notice the top hose is smaller like it should be. I also like the passenger side inlet and outlet. Simplifies the hose routing! The Spal fans and aluminum shroud was $229. I like the placement of the fans for the double pass radiator. It will require a little trimming but almost fits perfectly. Now to get everything back in so I can play a little.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:32 AM
TECH Addict

I am going off of the advice I received from Speedtigger and ordered a F body balancer so I can remove my spacers from all of my accessories. At the time I did the spacers I was running out of money and had a ton of stuff yet to buy. The cost effective route was to space everything out and make due. Now the majority is purchased and I can breath a little, I ordered up the balancer. Even though I could have done this at a later time, it will be easier to go ahead now while the engine is out of the car and no water has been added. I did find out some dissappointing news yesterday, you cannot buy the reservoir for the clutch master seperate. I went to PullaPart and grabbed one off of a foreign car that should suffice. Where would someone buy a reservoir like the Fbody masters come with?
Old 02-28-2011, 12:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Snow your engine compartment looks BEAUTIFUL! Great work. Have you thought about where you're going to "hide" your computer? Inside the car or in the engine compartment? I'm hoping to paint my firewall soon, we need more sunshine here in SO CAL, lol. It's all prepped and waiting for paint. Also, can you please send me info on the radiator? PN/supplier? Thanks again for the updates as it keeps me motivated on my build
Old 02-28-2011, 03:54 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks Mister D! The radiator was purchased from Speedway Motors part #917340. You will have to specify what width you want. I chose 26". I dont know for sure if I am going to hide the computer. I am thinking an Ironworks bracket and mount it on the fire wall. I am not certain on this yet. I want easy access to it so I will wait till I get the engine back in to see where everything will fall. I would love to mount it indoors but dont like the fact of cutting any holes in the firewalll after I spent so much time filling them. I was going to relocate the battery and mount it in the battery tray but cant bring myself to mounting the battery in the trunk. I figure if it rust the battery tray up front what will it do to the quarter panels? Cheaper to buy a battery tray than to have new quarters and a trunk floor welded in. I would like to see about mounting the battery down low like a circle track car but will have to wait till everything is back in to do anything with that. If I did mount it on the firewall I was thinking about making a box lined with heat proofing to cover up the PCM, relays and fuses. I am open for suggestions!!! Hint Hint
Old 02-28-2011, 04:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree on battery,I think it looks best up front and like u said cheaper to replace metal in that area!
Old 02-28-2011, 08:01 PM
TECH Addict

I had a couple of hours without the wife up my butt so off to the garage. I had to put longer bolts in the pedal bracket for the brake master cylinder. The CPP master is thicker than the stocker and with the clutch master adapter included the stock length bolts were too short. About three threads were all that was left protruding out. I zipped the factory weld on these bolts and didnt realize they also spot welded each bolt in three different places. I took some 1 3/4" long bolts and welded them from the back side. I used the clutch master adapter to align the two new bolts. I slide the brake master over the new bolts and tightened down the other two nuts to the adapter and then removed the brake master just so I knew there wasnt going to be any interference once welded. Of course I had to repaint the bracket so that put me behind a day. I did all of that yesterday. Today I reinstalled the pedal bracket, installed the adapter(clutch), reinserted the pedals which was a royal pain in the ***, hooked up the spring on the brake pedal, mounted the clutch master, installed the bolt connecting the clutch master to the pedal, mounted the brake master cylinder, put the gas pedal back together and reinstalled it, and I adjoined the new clutch master hose with adapters to the new master. All that in about 1 3/4 hours.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-28-2011, 08:04 PM
TECH Addict

Oh yeah and dont forget to readjust the freeplay in the pushrod with the new brake master cylinder installed!!!
Old 02-28-2011, 08:59 PM
10 Second Club

Wow, looks clean. By the time I get around to my car looking this good, my LY6 will be like a tpi swap and I'll have to start over. Nice work!
Old 02-28-2011, 09:22 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by futureuser
Wow, looks clean. By the time I get around to my car looking this good, my LY6 will be like a tpi swap and I'll have to start over. Nice work!
Thanks but give yourself some credit!!! Look at where you were say a month ago. That car you have has all the potential in the world! You ought to seen mine 3 years ago. As a matter of fact here it is three years ago next month. This was before the quarters were replaced, outer wheel housings, trunk to quarter filler panels, door skins, fenders, etc. etc. I spent $8000 to just get the body fixed and painted that doesnt include parts. It may sound like a lot but scroll on down to the next picture. He worked his *** off and did a fine job too! You will get there it just takes time and a ton of money. I am sitting on approxiamtely $34,000 to date in this car. But considering what a new car cost I have to justify it. A 2010 may turn a few heads but in a year or so they will be run of the mill. I love the new cars but to be around for 42 years and still be desired by most has its perks. I should be able to recoop most of my money if the day ever comes she needs to go you just cant do that with a new car. Take a look at these pics!!!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-01-2011, 07:40 PM
On The Tree

Default ls2/4l70e

Futureuser... Tsnow is right! Stay the course!! You will enjoy the fruits of your labor. It has taken me 17 yrs to finally achieve what I want with this car. Who knows where the next "trend" will take me?

here are some "inspirational photos" from 17 yrs of ownership. My daughter just turned 20 the other day.. she was 3 yrs old when my wife came home with the 'vert.

As Tsnow says, it's not for the money, it's definitely a labor of love.
Look in my sig block for the "Pro-Crastination" mod....
Attached Thumbnails LQ4/T56 into my 69 Camaro-68-vert-1994-first-day.jpg   LQ4/T56 into my 69 Camaro-my-babies-1994.jpg   LQ4/T56 into my 69 Camaro-68-vert-1997-work-begins.jpg   LQ4/T56 into my 69 Camaro-68-vert-1996.jpg   LQ4/T56 into my 69 Camaro-68-vert-1998.jpg  

LQ4/T56 into my 69 Camaro-68-vert-1998-bri.jpg   LQ4/T56 into my 69 Camaro-68-vert-1996-w-65-bel-air.jpg  
Old 03-01-2011, 07:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

I agree tsnow,u have a brand new 40 year old car!!can't beat it!!!
Old 03-01-2011, 08:15 PM
TECH Addict

You have to have a love for old cars to do what we do to these things. It would be so much easier to buy a new car and add on parts but to take one from nothing and build it the way you want and to make it trustworthy and appealing says something about its owners. Hats off to anyone that spends the time and money to put back one of the classics! I love new cars as well so please dont hate me! If I could afford it I would have a Z06 and a new SS in my driveway. I am allowed one project at a time and who knows in 2019 I should be free of kids or at least the dependent kind I may just go on down and grab me a Z06. Lord willing if I live that long.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey Tango, the girl in the picture keeps getting bigger, when Brians done she may have her hand out for the keys!!!!!!

I've had mine 24 yrs, drove it till 93/94 T400 lost 3rd gear, and the cam had round lobes in the BBC, I used to limp it around early in the morning in Cocoa Beach, expired registration and all,
Old 03-01-2011, 09:40 PM
TECH Addict

We had a neighbor that had a white 67 Vert that she drove everywhere. Loved that car!!! Never forget going to store in it and getting some baseball cards and actually having gum to chew after I opened all of the packs. I still have those cards and some packs that I didnt open that still has the gum in it, wonder if it is any good now. If you hear of a guy dying from 29 year old gum being ingested you will know it was me!!!
Old 03-02-2011, 04:40 PM
On The Tree

Default Ls2/4l70e

Steve. You are correct! My daughter is already asking for the 'vert for her college grad in two years (yeah, right!) Brian is almost finished with my underpinnings... I just got a "visit" from the UPS man with all my goodies! Hopefully she'll be on the road by the end of March!

Tsnow, the 'vert is a true '68 SS. The ding-bat I "rescued" her from had added '67 grill, '72 seats, and a '74 350 motor... What do you expect from South Miami??
Old 03-02-2011, 07:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Too funny, what parts are you putting on it?
Old 03-03-2011, 05:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

I saw your post on the radiator, get some Aluminum angle iron and have somone tig it to the rad tanks, just like the factory job,
Old 03-03-2011, 07:10 PM
TECH Addict

I have a spool gun, a roll of aluminum and some argon. I wonder how hard it would be to weld to it without burning a hole in my radiator. I guess I could get some aluminum a little thinner to practice with as I have never welded aluminum. I know from what I have read that you push and not pull the gun. You also keep it steady and not weave it any. What do you think about the aluminum rods that weld with a propane torch. Its sort of like solder but it is supposed to be really strong. The radiator will be full of water and with the hoses and fans attached it might get a bit on the heavy side to use this product. What is your take on it? Go ahead and mig it or use the safe route and use the aluminum rods???
Old 03-03-2011, 07:43 PM
Staging Lane

Looking good, Very good! Nothing like that feeling when you come home to a pile of boxes from the speed shop. I'm still trial fitting my little pile of parts and hoping for some warm weather. Again awsome job so far, the fuel tank shouldn't be a problem for you.

Quick Reply: LQ4/T56 into my 69 Camaro