Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ4/T56 into my 69 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 12:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by crosstraining
Sounds great & a nice clean looking swap. Where did you run your tranny lines?
Thanks!
Are you reffering to the hydraulic lines to the slave? If so I ran the line out of the master and along the subframe straight into the slave. The remote bleeder comes out of the slave and over the bell housing and will reside somewhere over there. I need to get the bracket that attaches this fitting to the frame. Speedway sells them and they are inexpensive.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by tsnow678
Is it just me or is there a lot of valvetrain noise?
Old 08-24-2011, 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great tsnow,u should be proud my friend!!
Old 08-24-2011, 03:23 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by -TheBandit-
Is it just me or is there a lot of valvetrain noise?
I am with ya on this. I noticed the same thing watching the video. It didn't seem as bad in person but on video there is a distinct tappet sound. I will run her a bit and see what happens. If it doesn't get any better, some investigating will be needed. Hopefully its the preload on the lifters but worse case it will be a set of lifters. Hopefully its not the lifters! Please dont let it be the lifters, lol!!! I have heard that these engines were notorious for valvetrain noise but in my mind a hydraulic lifter should run at zero lash and no valvetrain noise should be heard.
Old 08-24-2011, 03:23 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bmf5150
Looks great tsnow,u should be proud my friend!!
Thanks and I am!
Old 08-24-2011, 03:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't worry too much about the valvetrain noise. That's very typical of a cam'd LS motor. Some call it a sewing machine sound. I heard it in your vid and assumed your camera mic was slightly amplifying it. If its quieter in person (or at least no louder) I would consider it normal/typical. Of course, a quick double check of your pushrod length/lifter preload wouldn't hurt, but I would bet your lifters are fine.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:22 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GC99TA
I wouldn't worry too much about the valvetrain noise. That's very typical of a cam'd LS motor. Some call it a sewing machine sound. I heard it in your vid and assumed your camera mic was slightly amplifying it. If its quieter in person (or at least no louder) I would consider it normal/typical. Of course, a quick double check of your pushrod length/lifter preload wouldn't hurt, but I would bet your lifters are fine.
If I remember correctly the preload was around .065" or higher. I hope your right on the lifter noise. In person it seems quieter or it might be the fact I was so concerned with everything else going on at the time that I just overlooked it. I am running a little lighter oil than normal also. I wanted to get it moving and check for leaks before I switched over to the high dolla synthetic oil. There seems to be no leaks anywhere so it will be safe for me to do so now. Thanks for the relief. I am used to a solid lifter motor so this is quiet compared to that.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I remember correctly the preload was around .065" or higher. I hope your right on the lifter noise. In person it seems quieter or it might be the fact I was so concerned with everything else going on at the time that I just overlooked it. I am running a little lighter oil than normal also. I wanted to get it moving and check for leaks before I switched over to the high dolla synthetic oil. There seems to be no leaks anywhere so it will be safe for me to do so now. Thanks for the relief. I am used to a solid lifter motor so this is quiet compared to that.
Yeah....I'll bet it is quite a bit quieter than a solid lifter motor . If you're at or near .065 preload then I would say you're fine. There are several theories out there on how/where these motors should be preloaded, but IMO you're in the right neighborhood and changing from where you're at wouldn't make a noticable difference to the noise you're hearing. I'm not sure, but I also think a lot of the valve train noises these engines make when aftermarket cam'd is actually related to the extremely aggressive ramp rates that are used with common LS grinds/lobes as opposed to lobes more commonly used in SBC/BBC applications. I often wondered if a lot of that chatter isn't from the valves "snapping" shut on the seat, rather than being lifter noise at all. I guess you'll know if running a slightly thicker oil doesn't make a noticable difference. I never really experimented with it at all; it's just a theory.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have same sewing machine sound,no big deal
Old 08-24-2011, 06:22 PM
TECH Addict

I have 5W20 conventional in it now. Its was readily available at home (Honda) and thought it wouldnt make a difference and it prolly wont but I will go ahead and run it a few more days and then change it over to the recommended synthetic and another oil filter just to see. I am not too concerned with the valvetrain as it is all new except the lifters. The lifters that came out looked great and are prolly in good shape. I am running a heavy spring so I know the valves will return home accordingly. I say we run it and worry later. I usually dont throw caution to the wind but its time to get some mileage out of it and we will see where the chips fall. Thanks for the reassurance and I now you know more than anyone what an LS should sound like with the white ghost T/A!!!
Old 08-24-2011, 06:23 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bmf5150
I have same sewing machine sound,no big deal
I appreciate the reassurance!!! Hows that sweet *** ride doing anyways?
Old 08-25-2011, 05:35 PM
TECH Addict

Ok the Vintage is still not complete, waiting on the Kwik bracket to arrive. I get home a little bummed out and to my surprise Moser came through for me. These are replacement axles for my '79 T/A WS6 disc brake rearend. These are 30% stronger than stock and had to be custom machined for the disc brake application. Noone sells the stock axles much less aftermarkets for the factory disc brake rears. I contacted Superior Axle, Strange Engineering, and one other before Moser emailed me and said it wouldnt be a problem customizing a set of axles for me. So then I figured "oh **** whats this gonna cost" and to my surprise it was $272 shipping included for the pair!!! Moser in my book, after this experience, is the best out there and will get my future business. Here are a couple of shots.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-25-2011, 06:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

I love my moser rear end!I agree great company and service
Old 08-25-2011, 10:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Great Feeling

That's a great feeling when you are trying to source something and everyone you talk to acts as if you asking for a space shuttle part, and you know what you are asking for is a reasonable item that should be available, and finally you find a real professional shop and they know exactly what you are talking about and need and say no problem and then the price is very reasonable as well.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:49 PM
Teching In

I just read all 48 pages.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:50 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by lizeec
That's a great feeling when you are trying to source something and everyone you talk to acts as if you asking for a space shuttle part, and you know what you are asking for is a reasonable item that should be available, and finally you find a real professional shop and they know exactly what you are talking about and need and say no problem and then the price is very reasonable as well.
I agree 100%

I love my moser rear end!I agree great company and service
That will be my next upgrade is rearend selection and maybe some suspension components.

A98Z28P I just read all 48 pages.
Your more patient than I am! Thanks, I hope it didnt put you to sleep. lol
Old 08-26-2011, 08:40 AM
10 Second Club

Mine makes a fair amount of valvetrain noise too. Sometimes at slow speed I can hear it a little through the firewall. Great buy on the axles.

A friend of mine in Canada has given me his 12 bolt that is installed in a 76 nova. Problem is it's 4:56 and a spool and it's in a Nova in Canada. So I think I'll wait until mine breaks. I've been reading that novas kept the same size rear end even when the cars got big in 75. Don't know if true or not.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Where did you find the black schedule 40 sewer pipe?

Sorry for the red. I copied your your post =}
Old 08-26-2011, 04:06 PM
TECH Addict

Lowes Home Improvement is where I bought mine along with the couplers and such. I was going to make it temporary until I could get everything like I wanted in the engine bay but after looking at it, it sort of fits. I figure it will keep the air charge cooler than metal piping so thats a plus plus in my book. Oh and its a helluva lot cheaper. I think I had less than $50 in everything.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Lowes Home Improvement is where I bought mine along with the couplers and such. I was going to make it temporary until I could get everything like I wanted in the engine bay but after looking at it, it sort of fits. I figure it will keep the air charge cooler than metal piping so thats a plus plus in my book. Oh and its a helluva lot cheaper. I think I had less than $50 in everything.
I was at Lowe's & Home depot near my house today & could not find black. I did not do an extensive search because I was with my 3 year old daughter. I'll check again thanks.

Quick Reply: LQ4/T56 into my 69 Camaro