Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ4/T56 into my 69 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 08:59 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tsnow678
Thanks and best of luck to you on your project! Do you have a build thread? If not, is there anyway we could talk you into doing one?

i started one and could not finish it because i could not figure out how to load pitures so i called it a night and didnt get back to it.
ill get back to it soon..

in the mean time check out the build so far in a different forum...

http://camaroforums.com/forum/1st-ge...-thread-57879/
Old 09-07-2011, 09:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by game-over
i started one and could not finish it because i could not figure out how to load pitures so i called it a night and didnt get back to it.
ill get back to it soon..

in the mean time check out the build so far in a different forum...

http://camaroforums.com/forum/1st-ge...-thread-57879/
If you continue to have problems loading pics or whatever else, shoot me a PM and I will try to help you out or send me your number and I can call to help out.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:17 AM
10 Second Club

im sure i'll have a ton of questions for you....... so i would love to have that resourse
Old 09-07-2011, 09:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

tsnow thanks for sharing your experince with the VA system. Are you using their encoder controls that attach to the original AC cable levers? Are you using the original AC vents?

Posts like yours are why I want to keep my factory AC.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:34 AM
10 Second Club

Did you get the GEN IV Sure Fit?
Yes or not exactly sure fit. I am calling them to buy the 3 year extended warantee. It's pretty cheap.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:50 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by -TheBandit-
tsnow thanks for sharing your experince with the VA system. Are you using their encoder controls that attach to the original AC cable levers? Are you using the original AC vents?

Posts like yours are why I want to keep my factory AC.
The word Vinatge Air uses is a set of potentiometers. No I opted not to use the factory lever controls coupled with the potentiometers. The original A/C lever controls are not being reproduced according to the resto shop I use so I am going to sell the good one I have. I am using the billet vertical three **** controls that Vintage sells. I have already made a plate to fit it in the stock location in the dash. The Gen IV system uses servo controls and this **** controller is made to work with the system. Well it should anyways, we will see. The evap case actually has an ECM attached to it and its all plug and play. I understand on the factory A/C, I would have kept mine but I cannot stand the big ol' evap box in my way. Its all about preference. I like the modern electronic controls as is the reason I went to fuel injection.

I did reuse the original A/C vents in the dash. I had to modify the drivers side and add an adapter to both the left and rights. The center also has an adapter. The defrost vents are new and were easy to install. All in all the setup is not all that bad if you like to work under a dash. I personally cannot stand to lay on my back under a dash and work.

Could you imagine having to install a factory style A/C unit from a box into a stock car. Between the cramped space and the cable controls I would just do without. Hats off to you when you pull it off!!!
Old 09-07-2011, 11:55 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by futureuser
Yes or not exactly sure fit. I am calling them to buy the 3 year extended warantee. It's pretty cheap.
How much is the warranty and what does it cover? I am leary of extended warranties as there are so many loop holes. I seen in the instruction manual that they offer individual warranties for the evap, compressor, etc. Do they have one that blankets the entire system?
Old 09-07-2011, 03:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

So are there any better systems than vintage air?
Old 09-07-2011, 03:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bmf5150
So are there any better systems than vintage air?
I doubt it. There are a couple of other brands that are around that make a system for the Camaros. The main reasons I purchased the Vintage Air brand is because they are the most popular, been in business since 1976, and parts are readily available. I feel comfortable buying from company that has been in business almost as long as I have been alive. It shows they have a strong company and the leaders needed to stay out in front. Are there companies that provide a nicer, better fitting unit, who knows, but will they be able to sell you parts 10 years from now? Am I happy with my purchase so far? Not neccesarily, but the end results will take up the slack hopefully. Here are a couple of the other A/C distributors that have systems to fit the Camaro.

http://www.classicautoair.com/manuals.html

http://www.oldairproducts.com/catalo...120132061.html
Old 09-07-2011, 04:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Great point tsnow,my fan went out On my heater I need to replace,how hard are they to replace and any idea where they located?thanks for the advice
Old 09-07-2011, 07:11 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bmf5150
Great point tsnow,my fan went out On my heater I need to replace,how hard are they to replace and any idea where they located?thanks for the advice
Your blower motor is located between the right side fender and the firewall. Are you sure the motor is bad? Could be a broken wire, bad connection, blown fuse, bad switch etc. etc. I would check the voltage at the switch first. Will the motor run on wide open only? If so it could be a bad rheostat. If the switch checks out I would go to the blower motor itself with it turned on wide open and there should be 12 volts on the orange wire running to it. If no voltage is present, I would trace the wire from the switch from the motor. If voltage is present then more than likely you have a bad motor. You may need to unbolt the inner fender on that side to get to it. You may end up pulling the fender itself. Its been a long time since I worked on a factory style blower motor on these years of cars. If you can get to the bolts that hold it on the housing you may not have to pull nothing loose as far as body panels. I am pretty sure the inner is going to come out to access it though.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by tsnow678; 09-07-2011 at 07:31 PM.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

No I'm not positive need to trouble shoot and see what I get!thanks for the great advice as always!!
Old 09-08-2011, 10:43 PM
10 Second Club

How much is the warranty and what does it cover? I am leary of extended warranties as there are so many loop holes. I seen in the instruction manual that they offer individual warranties for the evap, compressor, etc. Do they have one that blankets the entire system?
Since it is directly from vintage, I assumed it would be good. I will find out and let you know. Thanks again for detailing this install.
Old 09-10-2011, 01:27 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by game-over
wow.. very nice build ... i am just starting mine.. hoping to push thru it over the winter... will keep an eye on this thread since its a 69 also...
X2 Absolutely top notch everywhere, Thanks for going into such great detail in your posts and pictures.. I have read all 51 pages 3 times in the past few weeks for ideas, shortcuts, tips etc looking forward to the final verdict on the Vintage A/C
Old 09-10-2011, 09:17 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 69SYC
X2 Absolutely top notch everywhere, Thanks for going into such great detail in your posts and pictures.. I have read all 51 pages 3 times in the past few weeks for ideas, shortcuts, tips etc looking forward to the final verdict on the Vintage A/C
Thanks man! SYC, you have one? The seats that I have in my car had the decals on the headrests. They came out of a Yenko clone. I am waiting on a hardline from Vintage, should be here on Monday. I am going to the garage today and finish up the interior and what little wiring I have left. I will mount the condensor, receiver/dryer, and what lines I do have at this point. I may even try to get the hood back on. The hood has been off of the hinges for a year now. Do you have a build thread?
Old 09-10-2011, 11:28 AM
TECH Addict

I am on my way down to the garage and the Fedex guy stopped by and dropped off a couple of goodies. Here is the Trick Flow rear cover and the Moser Engineering stud kit for the caps. I will try to get all of this done during the week if not sooner. I already have the Moser axles so this should help a little with some launches. I figure if you upgrade the engine and transmission you might as well complete the entire package. Next on my list will be suspension and brakes. Gotta build up some funds for all of that. I may go with the 4th gen brake conversion up front and retain the rear discs for now. I will prolly leave the stock uppers and lowers and just upgrade the bushings. May even install some adjustable shocks. For now we are riding on a basic stock setup. Oh and the sway bars will be a definate upgrade when the front is pulled apart. I think the stock front sway bar is a whopping 1/2" in diameter and no sway bar in the rear. Any suggestions on sway bars? Brand and size?

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-10-2011, 11:47 AM
Teching In

Anytime I will be using this thread as a reference throughout my build. Im wanting to use a set of 04-06 GTO seats and have the center recovered with SYC logos stitched in, supposedly the rear seats are a close fit but we will see. Wantin somethin comfortable in this car lol. And gotcha on the hard line, always have to wait on somethin. Thats a good feelin tying up loose ends putting the final pieces back together especially if its been apart awhile. And yes I do:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...o-lq-4l60.html

But not alot of responses yet, still kicking around ideas. Was wanting to do a full C5 under it but im leading farther and farther away from that for this car and leadong more towards a pro built square tube bolt in subframe with weld in connectors and maybe a 4 link and 10 or 12 bolt under the rear.. But just gettin started on her, Dad picked her up last week with his latest project and got em both in our shop. Ill only get to work on it one month per year sadly currently workin overseas and only get to come home 30 days per year or uncle sam rakes me over the coals on taxes maybe you can toss some ideas my way im open to anything
Old 09-10-2011, 01:51 PM
TECH Addict

Took a look at your new toy and you are like me, you have a clean slate to work off of. I opted for the Z/28 clone look. I have a 72 stepside 4x4 I bought my son that will be our "clean slate" to work off of. I will not start on it till the Camaro is complete though. Its cool you have a dad such as yours that is into this type of hobby. Best of luck to you overseas and a speedy return for ya. I bet you cant wait to get started. Look up Steve68 as he just bought a bolt on front subframe with all of the Corvette components and its badass! I would 9 inch the rear and add sub connectors. These cars handle great with the right components and unless you want to go extreme you should be able to reach your goals and keep it simple. Of course IRS would be awesome out back. If I can be of any help just shoot me a PM and I will do what I can. Thanks
Old 09-10-2011, 02:24 PM
Teching In

Thanks! Much appreciated, And thats exactly what I wanted to start from the ground on this one and know what I have for a body this time.. Loved my GTO but them little surprises turned to bigger surprises.. Bondo chicken wire etc lol. Thanks for the tip I will look up his thread that sounds promising. And yes I cant wait to get started on it, Until then I get to start rounding up parts, Its a possibility I might have it shipped over here if I stay more than a couple years. I am thankful as can be to have my Dad love the hobby and fed my inspiration for it, I got bit by the bug at a young age always had a muscle car book or two in my back pack at school lol. And we did the same my first truck was a 76 4x4 short wide bed that we built (and I destroyed) lol first vehicle, And he and my brother built a 69 C/10 2wd for his first truck.. Love the USA and our freedom to be able to do the things we do bein over here makes ya realize what we have at home.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:51 PM
TECH Addict

This is the plate I made to house the three **** Vintage Air controller. Simple 22 gauge sheet metal cut to fit. One bend, two speed nuts, three holes and the mount that was file to fit.

[IMG][/IMG]

Here it is installed into the dash.

[IMG][/IMG]

This is the bulk of the wiring. The harness is prewired with two relays included. You will have to runn two grounds, one hot, and a couple of wires to the safety switch and compressor. The controller plugs into the ECm so does the main harness.

[IMG][/IMG]

Here is a shot of the new glove box insert Vintage sends with the kit. It is plastic and fairly simple to install.

[IMG][/IMG]

You will have to preassemble the condensor before mounting it in the car. Pretty straight forward if you follow the directions.

[IMG][/IMG]

This is a pic of the condensor installed on the radiator support. The brackets lined up great on three of the four mounting holes but the right lower did not want to line up as it shares a hole with the center support. So I did what I do best and wedged it in behind the support and tightened it down. I figure if three of the mounting points are locked in solid this one wont or cant go anywhere.

[IMG][/IMG]

Here is the hardline coming from the evaporator to the condensor.

[IMG][/IMG]

another shot of it.

[IMG][/IMG]

Pretty much have the dash together other than the tach and gauges.

[IMG][/IMG]

Had to drill a 5/8" hole for the drain on the evaporator. I ran the line down to the subframe.

[IMG][/IMG]

Here is the line exiting the firewall and ziptied to the ground.

[IMG][/IMG]

I made a plate to cover the original 4 speed hole to eliminate any drive train noise coming up through the hump. I plan on using the insulation on this and screwing it to the tranny tunnel for future access.

[IMG][/IMG]

I got quite a bit done tonight but still not finished. I will try to start back on it tomorrow and get the interior back together, a/c wired in, tie up some loose ends. I want to be at a good stopping point so when the hard line comes in this week I can throw it on there and have the system evacuated and charged. I want my hood back on this week if possible.

Quick Reply: LQ4/T56 into my 69 Camaro