Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

66 GTO LY6 Swap with VVT

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 01:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 577 Likes on 359 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Sorry if I missed it, but what kind of MPG do you get with the VVT?
Old 04-18-2012, 05:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys.

As for the MPG I am not totally sure to be honest. I didn't have a working speedo/odo until a couple of weeks ago and I haven't done any real driving since I got it installed.

Last fall I drove the car to work a couple times one week and very roughly figured 20mpg, but that was mostly city/country driving never going above 45mph.

I should know realistically in the next month or so. I've been getting the car ready to go into the paint booth so I'm not going to be driving it for a few weeks.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well the car really looks like crap now. No turning back at this point. I've been dealing with some rust issues that the body had in an attempt to make me feel better about the looks of the car for a couple of years until I can do proper body work. There were various spots of bubbling paint and the quarter panels had some pretty good sized holes. I should be in the booth this week for primer which will be great!

I also changed my mounting brackets for the 06 GTO seats to get them to sit about 1.75-2" lower in the car. Definitely made a difference. I'm 5'9" tall and I think if I were closer to 6' these seats wouldn't work in this car...

Also I am using the Flaming River hub adapter for my steering wheel to work with my new collapsible Flaming River column. My wheel also required the use of 2 adapter rings to adapt to the hub adapter... Big pain. When I ordered the Flaming River hub adapter I saw that NRG makes a hub which is about 3/4" less in depth. Looking back I wish I would have paid extra for that piece. My hands need to stretch to reach the turn signal lever and it doesn't feel natural. Something to think about for others looking to upgrade their column.

Old 05-07-2012, 05:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Looks great!!! Can't wait to see it finished!
Old 05-07-2012, 12:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

It's going to be awesome to have it painted! What color are you going with? Good luck.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:08 PM
Staging Lane

this is a well thought out build
Old 05-07-2012, 07:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks!

As for the color, ask me in 20 minutes and I will probably have a different answer then I do right now I keep thinking one solid color, then I think 2 tone, then I think a color and a black painted roof... The list goes on. I've thought about something silly like having the Pontiac Indian logo up on the fender with the feathers coming off the back extending into a pinstripe down the side.

But I keep thinking I should do the factory color. Its a 66 only color called Marina Turquoise. Its slightly darker and a little bit bluer then my current color. I've never seen the color in person though and I'm not sure I'm thrilled about it from what I see online. Sometimes I like it other times I don't...

Another color I was leaning towards pretty heavily is a 05-09 Lexus color called Desert Sage Metallic. I would like to do this one but I'm nervous about it. I think for it to look right on the car I would have to paint my bumpers some shade of black and the headlight bezels body color. I'm not putting the rocker trim or the wheel well stainless back on the car so that is not a concern. Looking at the car now with the trim off it totally changed the personality of the car, in a good way. Looks tough!

I've got it setup for Saturday that I'm going to be in the booth. I've only used the booth and the guns to spray smaller items so I'm pretty nervous but still excited to be doing the whole car. I'm either going to be spraying a grey or a black primer depending on what color I choose. I'm hoping to go with the black primer because I want to see the car in that satin black look for a few days just to have that rat rod look for a bit.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Today is going to be a fun and exciting day. I'm headed over to the body shop to spray the car with primer. Hope everything goes smoothly. Hopefully I get some pics this afternoon to put up.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:58 AM
Staging Lane

Paint days are exciting! Have fun and take lots of pics!
Old 05-12-2012, 09:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Can't wait to see the pics!!
Old 05-12-2012, 10:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Cool!
Old 05-12-2012, 11:31 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice!
Old 05-12-2012, 08:53 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know what you mean about never seeing the factory color. Mine was burnished brown and I'm thinking about going back to the original appearance. Nice work and your car will look great in it's original color.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by Rucumn
Here are a couple of pictures of how how the gto turned out. Metal work included lower rear quarters, patches on quarters in front of wheels, rear tail panel, patches on lower door corners, patches on lower fender, fixed some patching in the rear window channel. The other guy patched his floors in the trunk and inside the car and I was able to leave that. Also, him and his girlfriend must have got passionate on the hood a few times back in the day because we had to spend quite a time building that up and blocking it down since I couldn't get the metal warp out.

what color / paint code is that?
Old 05-12-2012, 09:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well it was a 14 hour day, never would have dreamed it would be that long. All I did was spray the primer today. Used a PPG industrial primer called CRE. This stuff goes on thick, really thick... It has some heavy orange peel but I knew that going into this. Its going to be sanded down anyways before paint so its not a real concern. When I put up pics later you will see what I mean.

The stuff is supposed to be mixed 3:1:1 Cre,hardner,reducer. Well the painter told me for my car I should skip the reducer to get it super thick and then he left. Well that was a huge mistake. I almost lost an entire gallon of this stuff because it wouldn't spray for crap and it started to catalyze on me. I was kinda panicked though because I was the only one there and the gun was all plugged up, and the stuff was setting up in the can... Ended up thinning it out and finally got it to start spraying. The second gallon I mixed per the 3:1:1 and it worked great.

Put a solid 3 coats on and I'm really happy with how it looks. There are a few spots around the car where you can see some imperfections underneath but I'm not worried about it because it looks so much better then it did. Next up I have to smooth it out for paint, although the black does look kinda cool...
Old 05-12-2012, 09:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by futureuser
I know what you mean about never seeing the factory color. Mine was burnished brown and I'm thinking about going back to the original appearance. Nice work and your car will look great in it's original color.

I just looked at that color, that is sweet! Actually its really sweet! You should do the white hockey stick stripe too.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:19 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Tramminc
what color / paint code is that?
It is Fountain Blue Metallic - GM color from 1966
Old 05-12-2012, 11:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

That fountain blue is also a nice color!

Last edited by FatfreeGTO; 05-13-2012 at 12:02 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 05-13-2012, 12:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

So here are the pics of my day in the paint booth. The orange peel looks worse in the photos then it does in person. All these were taken shortly after the final coat of primer so I'm excited to see how it looks tomorrow once its dry.

Old 05-13-2012, 12:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Some pics of a couple of the cars at the shop where I did my priming today.

1970 Challenger TA. The very 1st one with the TA package ever sold!

The paint on this Superbird is so deep looking you would think you could stick your arm in it.

Another Challenger R/T 440 6 pack.

Quick Reply: 66 GTO LY6 Swap with VVT