Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

alternator wiring question on 1st gen with ls1

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 07:37 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default alternator wiring question on 1st gen with ls1

i am having a problem of not charging . i think i am missing a wire . all i have is the single wire in the harness to the alt , and there is a post on the back . does it need hot from the battery to the back of the alt?
Old 03-30-2004, 08:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by datsbad
i am having a problem of not charging . i think i am missing a wire . all i have is the single wire in the harness to the alt , and there is a post on the back . does it need hot from the battery to the back of the alt?
The F-body harness has three wires merged at the battery positive pole connector. One goes to the starter pole. One goes to the distribution block at the fuse panels. One goes to...the alternator pole.

Without that last wire I listed, you gets no charge...easy fix, go get it and start driving that bad boy!
Old 03-30-2004, 10:17 PM
9 Second Club

hey thanks for the answer, i did figure it out today though . stupid me , anyway its charging good now . thanks again
Old 04-29-2004, 10:16 PM
Launching!

I'm about to reinstall a new alternator. My power steering leak somehow singed the single wire connector and the plug came off somehow. I really don't know how that happened, but now I'm confused. I went to the dealer and the only plug they had for the alt was one with 4 wires coming out of it. Now I only have a single wire that is loose. Which wire from the plug do I use or does it matter?
Old 04-30-2004, 08:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can't help on this one, mine's a 2001.
Old 04-30-2004, 10:40 AM
Launchin It!

Go to the Street and Performance tech section. They have PDF file on alt. wiring.
Old 05-03-2004, 07:56 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Budman78
Go to the Street and Performance tech section. They have PDF file on alt. wiring.
Gonna check it out. I did install it, but haven't tested it yet cuz I have my water pump off.
Thanks
Old 05-03-2004, 04:05 PM
9 Second Club

I Have That Same Plug With Provisions For 4 Wires But Only One Wire . Di You Get It Figured Out ? I Can Look Tonight If You Want !
Old 05-05-2004, 09:08 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by datsbad
I Have That Same Plug With Provisions For 4 Wires But Only One Wire . Di You Get It Figured Out ? I Can Look Tonight If You Want !

Thanks man. I did it yesterday finally. However it's not charging fully. It will go up a little about 13 then after a minute it will drop to the first line in the red zone. Revving makes it go up, but not stay up. When I first turn it on it will go back to slightly above 13. I have to go recheck my wire connection I guess. And possibly get my battery recharged.

Quick Reply: alternator wiring question on 1st gen with ls1