Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 1965 Buick Skylark L92/6L80 Swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 10:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by 1989GTA
Couple of things I have noticed while driving around and watching my laptop in the scan mode. The engine coolant temperatures are 4-5 degrees different between the sending unit in the passenger head and the one in the drivers side head. That is considering both units/gauges are calibrated the same. The one in the passenger head feeds my dash gauge while the other one feeds the ECM.
Do you have any way to switch the signals or sensors? It would be interesting to see if the temperature is actually that different or if the gauge and ECM are just reading differently.

Now once moving they will both come down to the same level or ambient with the IAT varying between 0-2 degrees more. Also the IAT will come down quicker once the car is moving. I guess this is relative to the sensitivity/calibration of the units.
Where is your outside temperature probe located? The intake has a reasonable air exchange rate, constantly drawing in fresh air. Also the sensor is designed for fast response. If your probe is in a stagnant area, it will take time for the hotter heat/soaked air to be exchanged or cooled after sitting for some time.

I don't know if it is posible to keep the IAT from rising while sitting still with the car not moving and the engine/radiator creating all that heat. I am thinking of the staging lanes at the drag strip and then the starting line. Maybe some dry ice in my cold air box. Hahaha
How long after you start moving does the IAT temperature stabilize? Is it almost immediately after you get moving or does it take several seconds or minutes?
Old 04-01-2014, 12:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

1. I don't know if the sending units are the same. People have always suspected that the passenger cylinder head would read slightly lower as that water is closer to the readiator. But there could be defferences in the units.

2. The OAT sensor could be in a stagnant area. It is easy enough to change the location.

3. It takes maybe 30 seconds or so to stabilize.

I was on the Camaro5 website looking at some of the IAT temperatures with their cold air kits. From what I can tell mine is doing pretty good. I think the grill being right in front of the cold air box helps alot. They have to run a scoop to get the cool air from the front.

My IAT is virtually the same as the OAT when moving. Theirs maybe 10 degrees different at best with some more. Also mine does not seem to heat up as fast when at a stop. I am going to see what happens with the hood open and at a stop. Maybe like in the staging lanes at the track.

One more thing I am going to try is buy a plastic intake tube from one of the vendors. It will be interesting to see what that does. I don't think I can do anything more with the box as it is pretty well sealed from the engine bay heat.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have paddle shifters? I want to use these http://www.powertraincontrolsolution...addleshifters/ I called them and they said they need to know if it connects directly to the trans or to something with the computer? I was wondering if you had any insight into this.
Chris
Old 04-01-2014, 06:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 12secondnova
Do you have paddle shifters? I want to use these http://www.powertraincontrolsolution...addleshifters/ I called them and they said they need to know if it connects directly to the trans or to something with the computer? I was wondering if you had any insight into this.
Chris
I did bring the purple wire into the dash area from the 6L80 transmission. I did that incase I wanted to add paddle shifters. In my case it is direct into the transmission. I know on some cars they use the BCM or body control module. So if you have the wire from the 6L80 it is direct.

Regarding the link it says: "This receiver module plugs into your PCS transmission control unit harness with one simple, pre-installed plug."

I am not sure what the PCS transmission control unit harness is. I am wondering if that is a stand alone transmission control module?
Old 04-01-2014, 07:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received my BBK 95 mm throttle body today. Stock is 90mm. It seems to be of quality construction. Moves freely with no binding. This along with the ported LS3 intake manifold is my endeavor to find another 15rwhp.

One thing I see I will have to do is bevel the front lip on the entrance to the throttle body. This is not uncommon as I have done it before to other ones. I want a smooth transition from the cold air intake tubing through the throttle body and into the plenum area. Nothing in the way to cause turbulance.

Here are a couple of pictures I took with a piece of 4" tubing like I have on my cold air intake.

Name:  BBK95mmThrottleBody003_zpsb176cd4e.jpg
Views: 587
Size:  95.8 KB

This one looking down the 4" tube trying to show the lip or wall protruding into the air path.

Name:  BBK95mmThrottleBody002_zps1a76d1cf.jpg
Views: 577
Size:  77.6 KB
Old 04-01-2014, 09:25 PM
Staging Lane

I did bring the purple wire into the dash area from the 6L80 transmission. I did that incase I wanted to add paddle shifters. In my case it is direct into the transmission. I know on some cars they use the BCM or body control module. So if you have the wire from the 6L80 it is direct.

Regarding the link it says: "This receiver module plugs into your PCS transmission control unit harness with one simple, pre-installed plug."

I am not sure what the PCS transmission control unit harness is. I am wondering if that is a stand alone transmission control module?
I looked at the plugin to the trans and it has 2 red, 4 white, 1 orange, 1 blue, 1 black, and one kind of pinkish looking wire which I assume is the purple?

I'm not sure what the harness is. I called not knowing anything right before they closed(forgot about the time change east to west coast) I told them I'd call back tomorrow after I figured out if it had to connect to the bcm or just to the trans directly.

I'm not really sure were I would find out if the tutd runs through the bcm or trans though.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:12 PM
TECH Junkie

On the 6L80 transmission cable plug it is pin 7 for the TUTD wire. Your best bet is to call the vender as you are doing. Otherwise it is through the GMLAN communication wires.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:58 PM
TECH Junkie

I talked to Cunningham Motorsports in Murietta Ca today and I have set up the chasis dyno tune for May 6th. That should give me enough time for the parts to arrive and install them. I like a little cushion in case there is an "oops".

Actually only two more parts are on the way. The ported LS3 intake manifold and the spare LS3 throttle body so I can take the motor assembly off of it and put on the BBk 95mm throttle body.

So once all that is done we will be ready for some track shakedown time this Summer. The Bonzai runs will be this Fall/Winter to wring out the best times.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:30 PM
TECH Junkie

I just voided the warranty on my BBK 95mm throttle body. I went ahead and beveled the leading edge into the throttle body. The intake tubing is .065" and I wanted the inlet lip of the throttle body to be less than that. I don't want any turbulance so there is more airflow. Here are a couple of pictures. One before and one after.

Before showing the lip.

Name:  BBK95mmThrottleBodyBeveled002_zps0937388b.jpg
Views: 595
Size:  81.0 KB

After with the bevel.

Name:  BBK95mmThrottleBodyBeveled003_zps9f7fd3a4.jpg
Views: 582
Size:  97.8 KB
Old 04-03-2014, 04:43 PM
Staging Lane

Hey, called pcs and they said the harness is only for theyre special standalone 4L and 700r controller. They also said the 6l80e doesn't need it. Just plugs directly to the trans.

Btw thanks for the pin number. My 6L doesn't have it for some reason. Can I put it in or do I have to do something different?
Old 04-03-2014, 04:45 PM
Staging Lane

Also sorry for bugging you with so many questions. Really hard to find solid info on swapping 6l80e's. Thanks a bunch.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 12secondnova
Also sorry for bugging you with so many questions. Really hard to find solid info on swapping 6l80e's. Thanks a bunch.
Mine did not have it either. I had to add it. There are people who make paddle shifters for the 6L80. I was going to do it but Speartech said the new Corvette program for the 6L80 is real good so I decided not to do it at this time.

So I just had both the 6L80 and the E38 ECM reprogrammed to the 2011 Corvette software. No problem at all with the questions. These types of discussions can bring up some good points and others can benefit from them.

Edit: Maybe it was Twist Machine that makes the paddle shifters. Just trying to remember.

Last edited by 1989GTA; 04-03-2014 at 09:47 PM.
Old 04-18-2014, 04:15 PM
TECH Junkie

I have been wondering what to do for my spare tire. Come to find out the answer was right under my nose. I decided to use one of the skinnies I run up front on my 1989 Trans Am.

The stock Buick Skylark tire and wheel assembly weighs 49.2 pounds and that was what I was going to use but that is on the heavy side. I weighed one of the skinnies and it comes in at 27 pounds. Much easier to handle and 22 pounds lighter.

Still waiting on my ported intake manifold assembly.

Name:  SpareTire_zps9da23661.jpg
Views: 586
Size:  117.2 KB
Old 04-18-2014, 04:48 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Does it match the height of your rear tires?
Old 04-18-2014, 07:49 PM
TECH Junkie

No. My rears are listed at 25.94". From what I can tell these are 25" or maybe a little over using my trusty tape meaure. Closer to the ones on the front of the car. However the price is right as I already have them and they are for emergency use only and will be used on a very limited basis in that regard. Exception will be at the track with both on the front. Got to do all I can to get that 10.99 in the quarter mile.

Edit: Now the search is on for a lightweight jack.

Last edited by 1989GTA; 04-18-2014 at 08:54 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Ok, my ported intake manifold showed up today. The biggest thing about it is the bars running down each side. It is a Rick Crawford design. This suppose to be good for 7-10rwhp depending on your modifications. I will have to open up the throttle entrance just a hair for my 95mm BBK throttle body. Here is a picture.

Name:  IntakeManifoldModifications_zps08fb5792.jpg
Views: 587
Size:  71.3 KB
Old 04-21-2014, 09:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine did not have it either. I had to add it. There are people who make paddle shifters for the 6L80. I was going to do it but Speartech said the new Corvette program for the 6L80 is real good so I decided not to do it at this time.

So I just had both the 6L80 and the E38 ECM reprogrammed to the 2011 Corvette software. No problem at all with the questions. These types of discussions can bring up some good points and others can benefit from them.

Edit: Maybe it was Twist Machine that makes the paddle shifters. Just trying to remember.
It is TwistMachine that makes the paddle shifters, there call ShrifterSix. It's the setup I have in my 68 C10. Speartech verified that the wiring would work with the harness he built me. I've been using mine for about 4 months now with no problem. If you use the Dakota Digital VHX gauges and their CANBUS module (bim-01-1) you will also get gear indication and tranny temperature (as well as speedo, tach, IAT, water temp).
Attached Thumbnails My 1965 Buick Skylark L92/6L80 Swap-paddleshifters1.jpg   My 1965 Buick Skylark L92/6L80 Swap-paddleshifters2.jpg   My 1965 Buick Skylark L92/6L80 Swap-img_20131231_172851_resized_1.jpg  

Last edited by Hart_Rod; 04-22-2014 at 03:00 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Interesting. Thank you for adding the information to the thread.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:53 PM
TECH Junkie

My heat shield for the bottom of the LS3 intake manifold came in today. I can see how this might help in keeping the intake air cooler. The bottom of the intake manifold is honeycombed and the air space makes a great insulation. The heat shield is a composite of a reflective aluminum tape over a layer of a thermal barrier foam type material. Whether it actually works in practice remains to be seen but the theory is good. Here are a couple of pictures.

This is the bottom of my intake manifold out drying in the sun after a good cleaning. Easy to see the honeycombed bottom.

Name:  IntakeHeatShield001_zps22275ba3.jpg
Views: 640
Size:  112.0 KB

This picture is with the heat shield installed.

Name:  IntakeHeatShield002_zps1870a60e.jpg
Views: 589
Size:  120.8 KB

Last edited by 1989GTA; 04-23-2014 at 04:08 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:44 PM
TECH Junkie

I had an idea while installing the heat shield on the bottom of my LS3 intake manifold. I was looking around for a cover for the top of the manifold and ran across this one while doing a search.

http://www.corvetteguys.com/corvette...ted-c6ls3.html

It says it is held on by 3M tape. So there must be an airgap between the cover and the intake manifold itself. Air makes a great insulator so maybe this might work for what I am trying to do. Probably would have to use some sealant around the edges to make it pretty much air tight. Open to thoughts on the subject.

Quick Reply: My 1965 Buick Skylark L92/6L80 Swap