Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 1965 Buick Skylark L92/6L80 Swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 04:58 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Have you weighed this car since the new drivetrain was installed?
Old 04-23-2014, 05:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

The stock intake has a cover like that with sound deadening foam in between. I think it would actually act more to keep heat in than keep it out. I honestly think you've gotten a bit carried away trying to minimize heat in the intake path but it is fun experimentation.

That BBK throttle body looks sexy as hell. Wish they made one that could use the truck DBW motor.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

"Have you weighed this car since the new drivetrain was installed?"

No I have not, but it is on my list of things to do. I will estimate 3550-3600 pounds going by your cars weight. Some things on my car are heavier and some things are lighter.

"The stock intake has a cover like that with sound deadening foam in between. I think it would actually act more to keep heat in than keep it out. I honestly think you've gotten a bit carried away trying to minimize heat in the intake path but it is fun experimentation."

I will look into the stock intake cover. The way I feel is the more intake surface area I can keep away from the engine heat the better. The cool air should wick away the heat and if the it can't be replaced very fast that should be a positive.

Last edited by 1989GTA; 04-24-2014 at 05:03 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:00 PM
TECH Junkie

As stated earlier I ported my LS3 intake manifold to match the BBK 95mm throttle body. I wanted a smooth transition with not bumps in the way. Here is a picture with the throttle body mounted to the ported intake manifold.

I also did a little opening up on the manifold further into the entrance area to better match the 95mm opening of the throttle body. Remember stock is 90mm. I will be putting this on my car tomorrow. I hope there are no issues with the BBK. my fingers are crossed.

Name:  95mmThrottleBodyFitment001_zps9cd1877f.jpg
Views: 571
Size:  101.9 KB
Old 04-26-2014, 05:05 PM
TECH Junkie

One more thing I am going to do before putting the car on the dyno. That is to change out the factory thermostat to a 160 degree one. This should lower the temperature around the radiator 20-25 degrees. Ideally I would like the car to run around 180 degrees and I will set up the fans that way. Right now it is around 205 degrees. The thermostat starts to open at 160 degrees and I don't imagine that it is fully open until the 170+ range.

I installed the BBK 95mm throttle body today but the car would not idle. It would drop down to around 550 rpm and then just die. I did a throttle body relearn and up the idle speeds but to no avail. The good thing is so far it did not throw any codes. I put the ported stock one back on and it idles ok. So I will let the tuner deal with it. Here is a picture of the 160 degree thermostat. $29.99 at O'rielly's.

Old 04-26-2014, 06:54 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Allen are you using the computer to control the fans? If so, you cannot turn the fans on any lower than a 192 degrees unless you have a custom OS.

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...r-lack-thereof
Old 04-26-2014, 07:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Hart_Rod
Allen are you using the computer to control the fans? If so, you cannot turn the fans on any lower than a 192 degrees unless you have a custom OS.

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...r-lack-thereof
Hmmm, I did not know that. I thought when I was in the "descrete" mode it would just turn my relays on and off when commanded by the termperature charts. Looks like another thing for my tuner to look at. Thank You for the information.
Old 04-26-2014, 08:26 PM
TECH Junkie

I saw this on HP Tuners regarding the new 2.5 bar map program. I see that table goes down to 163 degrees.

"The new rescaled fan temperature axis will mean the fans will switch on at lower coolant temperatures than stock. If you wish the fans to operate at the stock on/off temperatures you need to modify this table."

I wonder if only that table could be downloaded into my E38? I will ask my tuner.

Last edited by 1989GTA; 04-26-2014 at 08:46 PM.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:59 PM
TECH Junkie

When I was changing out my BBK throttle body yesterday I had to remove my coated cold air intake tube. The engine was warmed up from checking out the throttle body. This tube has a thermal barrier coating on the inside and a thermal dispersent coating on outside. While I had the tube in my hand the outside was warm to the touch so I put my fingers on the inside to see how hot it was and I could not feel any warmth. The thermal barrier does work.

Also while driving around today I think this method of coating the tube is better as it seems to cool off very quickly once the car is in moving again. The other method has a thermal barrier coating on the outside as well as the inside.

The IAT and the outside air temperature are identical once the car is under way. I did a test while at park. One was not facing the breeze and the other was the car facing the breeze. Away from the breeze it got up to around 25 degrees above ambient. Then I drove around the corner with out letting it cool all the way down with the car heading into the breeze and the temperature started dropping. It got down to 10 above ambient and I then drove off to do other testing with some freeway runs.

I feel I have done all I can do with the cold air intake. I will have the 160 degree thermostat installed tomorrow and I will do some more testing to see if it makes any difference while stopped or in traffic.

Last edited by 1989GTA; 04-27-2014 at 01:14 PM.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:39 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 1989GTA
I saw this on HP Tuners regarding the new 2.5 bar map program. I see that table goes down to 163 degrees.

"The new rescaled fan temperature axis will mean the fans will switch on at lower coolant temperatures than stock. If you wish the fans to operate at the stock on/off temperatures you need to modify this table."

I wonder if only that table could be downloaded into my E38? I will ask my tuner.
I'm pretty sure it costs a couple of HPTuners credit to updgrad to the 2.5 bar map program,
Old 04-27-2014, 10:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Hart_Rod
I'm pretty sure it costs a couple of HPTuners credit to updgrad to the 2.5 bar map program,
I have a couple of credits left if I decide to go that route. I will wait and see how it runs with just the 160 degree thermostat. If it runs in the 180 degree range then all is well.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:59 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 1989GTA
I have a couple of credits left if I decide to go that route. I will wait and see how it runs with just the 160 degree thermostat. If it runs in the 180 degree range then all is well.
Let me know how that comes out as I'm interested in doing this too. Also, have you logged your tranny temps? I'm curious to see what you're getting.

Rob
Old 04-28-2014, 11:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Will do. I will probably do the testing tomorrow.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

great project and good job!

Curious, did you reuse the L92 throttle body, initially with the LS3 style intake? If so, do you have a part # for the coupler from the throttle body to the 4" intake tubing?
I ask as I need to fabricate my own cold air intake tubing for my swap (L92 / 6L80 in a 1951 Ford truck).

When I brought the L92 rubber inlet plumbing to the speed shop, nothing matched up with their supply of silicon and rubber intake tubing. If I remember, 3 1/2" nor 4" seemed to fit. One was way too tight and the other sloppy ... like a bee bee in a box car

I also planned to keep the stock MAF inline, but maybe I need to convert to a card style like you did?

Thanks a bunch!

Doug
Old 04-29-2014, 04:33 PM
TECH Junkie

No, I did not reuse the L92 throttle body. The LS3 throttle bodies can be had for cheap and have a 90mm bore versus 87mm. I paid $104 plus shipping for my last one on Ebay. They are new take offs. I used 4" hose to make my connections to the LS3. I never even tried the L92 throttle body so I can't help you there.

By the way the pictured 160 degree thermostat in the above picture is the wrong one for the LS3/L99 motors. I bought the correct one and may have data tomorrow on the termperature range the motor runs at.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi,
Thank you for the information. Great project. Love your attention to detail.

Doug
Old 04-30-2014, 11:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cutlass Convert
This probably isn't your highest priority at the moment, but did you get your brake switch wiring to work?

I have messed with a few different wiring configurations and never got it to work. I am assuming it is not working based on scans with HPTuners.
The brake switch requires a 2 pole type switch
one pole operates thee brake lights and the second
provides a signal to the tcm
the signal to the tcm is on (power on) as long as the brake pedal is not depressed. this allows the transmission to enter lock up.
a good description is on performance system intergration web site
steve
Old 05-01-2014, 01:00 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 12secondnova
I looked at the plugin to the trans and it has 2 red, 4 white, 1 orange, 1 blue, 1 black, and one kind of pinkish looking wire which I assume is the purple?

I'm not sure what the harness is. I called not knowing anything right before they closed(forgot about the time change east to west coast) I told them I'd call back tomorrow after I figured out if it had to connect to the bcm or just to the trans directly.

I'm not really sure were I would find out if the tutd runs through the bcm or trans though.
using a L76/6L80E combo from an 09 G8GT
for my swap
talking to a few people have found that
1. G8 GT setup requires going thru the BCM (body control module)
2. Corvette setup goes from TCM directly to ECM
paddle shifters will work directly with the Corvette setup and you may need a seperate trans controller if using other type set ups
have not tried this out yet
my swap is not up to this part of the build

when starting out many people told me to be sure electronic components match
as this would save a lot of headaches down the road.
reading many threads this seems to become a truism
started out buying a 09 pontiac G8 GT wreck
hopefully will make easier simple

the 6L80E in the G8 has a sport mode
looking for information that when in swapped vehicle
without bcm
will sport mode still work when shifted into manual mode
( in the G8 if placed in manual and not manually tu/td
transmission shift program is setup to shift differently than when in auto)

Last edited by sfiore; 05-01-2014 at 01:51 AM. Reason: add info
Old 05-01-2014, 08:25 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by sfiore
The brake switch requires a 2 pole type switch
one pole operates thee brake lights and the second
provides a signal to the tcm
the signal to the tcm is on (power on) as long as the brake pedal is not depressed. this allows the transmission to enter lock up.
a good description is on performance system intergration web site
steve
Steve - The Gen IV TCC's are wired opposite of the Gen IIIs and older. On the Gen IV's, they don't receive power until the brake is pushed. Also, I'm running a 2013 Camaro SS LS3/6L80 with some aftermarket ShrifterSix paddle shifters and the Sport mode does work on mine. If you put it in Sport mode, the shifts are different (you can have whoever your programmer is adjust it the way you want). While in sport mode, as soon as you use one of the shifters you are in the TUTD mode. If you want to go back to sport mode, all you have to do is hold the + shifter for about 4 or 5 seconds.

Last edited by Hart_Rod; 05-01-2014 at 08:38 AM.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:55 AM
Staging Lane

I have a question for anyone who can answer. I bought the Speartech cable-x box so I can use my stock speedometer. It needs to plug into the "VSS" (vehicle speed sensor). Does anyone know what pin number that is?

Last edited by 12secondnova; 05-01-2014 at 12:25 PM.

Quick Reply: My 1965 Buick Skylark L92/6L80 Swap