Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ4/T56 into 2001 BMW 540i

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 12:18 PM
TECH Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Your progress is going well.

I am hoping to start on my cross member this weekend in order to get the motor down into the car and sitting right.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:40 PM
TECH Regular

Any update on a driveshaft solution?
Old 03-16-2013, 09:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

I stopped by Fleet Pride, a driveline company that specializes in truck driveshafts/axles/etc. He said he'd have to take a look at it, but it probably wouldn't be a problem to do it. $180 including the slip yoke to slide into the T56.

because i still have to remake the driver's side mount, the driveshaft will be one of the last things i do
Old 03-17-2013, 12:12 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the driveshaft update
Old 03-20-2013, 12:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Manifolds are finally done, painted with VHT Flameproof header paint

Luckily I didn’t have to trim any of the OEM manifold heat shields to fit the exhaust. Forgot to snap a picture of those bolted onto the manifolds.

My rebuilt Stage 2 T56 will be here Friday, along with the Diamond lightweight flywheel. I’ll bolt up the flywheel, Diamond Stage 2 clutch/pressure plate, and hopefully install the motor for the last time this weekend.

Also ordered a Tick speed bleeder to bleed the new system quickly and easily. I still need to figure out whether the new 4th gen F-Body clutch line can be modified the way the E36 guys do, since the E39 master may be different.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Exactly what year and model did those manifolds come off?I think they will fit my app.Nice work by the way.Your car is gonna be a beast.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

They definitely came off a 1st Gen (04-07) CTS-V, but I don’t know whether it was an LS6 car or LS2 car.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LQ4-E39
They definitely came off a 1st Gen (04-07) CTS-V, but I don’t know whether it was an LS6 car or LS2 car.
Thanks.I'll be on the look out when I hit the yard next time.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:22 PM
TECH Regular

Manifolds are finally done, painted with VHT Flameproof header paint

Luckily I didn’t have to trim any of the OEM manifold heat shields to fit the exhaust. Forgot to snap a picture of those bolted onto the manifolds.

Nice.
I'm going to make a set of headers for mine. Space is crazy tight (this is not a hip term...I really mean the space is very tight and not "tight" as in good). I once I make the mounts -- hopefully this weekend -- I will see. I have been sick this week so not much has been done.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:44 PM
Launching!

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

One day my 540 m6 might get a ls1 if it ever lets go, my car has a m5 diff to it was probably one of the best things I ever bout, it alone drop 3 tenths off my 1/8 time
Old 03-26-2013, 09:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

I recently had my T56 out of a 2002 F-Body rebuilt to Stage 2 specs by Jason at TDP.

Installed the flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, all clutch hydraulics, and then mated up the trans to the motor. Went to fill up the transmission with Dex III ATF through the shifter hole, and it just started pouring out the back of the output shaft. There looks to be a brand new seal right there, but I do not have an output slip yoke installed yet. Is the slip yoke responsible for keeping the fluid inside the trans? I already have a slip yoke on order since I’ll obviously need it anways.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:01 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you are my hero..its awesome how resourceful you are...typical bmw owners would have bought everything or had someone build it for them...
Old 03-27-2013, 09:36 AM
Teching In

Is the slip yoke responsible for keeping the fluid inside the trans? I already have a slip yoke on order since I’ll obviously need it anways.
Yes

Originally Posted by silvergs
you are my hero..its awesome how resourceful you are...typical bmw owners would have bought everything or had someone build it for them...
What he said.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sparkydog
Yes

What he said.
Appreciate the kind words. I just hate spending money on things that I can do myself. I have enjoyed learning new fabrication skills as I go. Plus, it’s more fun to make sparks and drink beer than it is to just place orders online for parts while drinking beer. I like making do with what I have. Nothing special in my garage, just a few 115V outlets, my air compressor, and welder. The rest is a few power tools (cutoff wheel, chop saw, sawzall, high speed drill) and a LOT of hand tools. That’s it.

Thanks for the heads up on the yoke. I have one on order, should be here in a few days. At that point I will be able to slap that thing in, fill the trans with fluid, replace and tighten the fill plug, and finally RTV and close up the shifter. That should close the chapter on the trans.

I am stopping by a local hydraulic shop today to see what they can do about grafting the BMW quick connect fitting to the GM clutch line.

I wrapped up some more loose ends last night including the brake booster vacuum line, starter power wire, and alternator power wire. Surprisingly the OEM BMW starter (+) cable bolted right up to the starter, and the alternator (+) wire only needed a trim. I have to buy some crimp style ring terminals and then I can call that done. I also removed the spark plugs; I figure that since my starter is now powered, I could probably prime the engine to prepare it for startup. My injectors are not even close to being hooked up and coil packs aren’t either, so it’s a good time to do it. I will buy some cheap oil and fill the motor as well as the oil filter. I still have to probe the ignition switch and find which circuit is the cranked 12V signal.

Unfortunately my brand new F-Body LS1 throttle cable is just barely long enough to reach the pedal, and does not cross the intake manifold neatly (kinda stretched diagonally over it to reach the firewall). I’ll try to find a longer one at the junkyard or maybe buy one of those universal ones, but would prefer not to spend another $60 on something I can make work on my own.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:38 PM
TECH Regular

I have an update for you on the driveshaft issue. I called the driveline shop in my area and they said that they suggested a two piece driveshaft and that they could make if for a few hundred dollars -- but won't know exact price until I get all the information to them.
They could not use the stock shaft and modify because the Ujoints are pinned in. Not sure if that helps but the guys on the phone at Drivelines Northwest were pretty helpful
Old 03-29-2013, 07:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

I can see how they wouldn’t want to mess with the u-joints since they’re not serviceable (or are they?), but why would you need to even touch the u-joints? Assuming your driveshaft is like the E39 style (which I highly doubt it’s different), you’re only cutting off the front, and welding on a GM slip yoke/new u-joint.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:23 PM
TECH Regular

I can see how they wouldn’t want to mess with the u-joints since they’re not serviceable (or are they?), but why would you need to even touch the u-joints? ...
I hear you, but I don't put too much stock into the phone conversation. As the guy on the other end stated: He needs to see things be for he can really determine what should be done.

Also, my understanding is that he will take the stock BMW driveshaft cut to length, replace the u-joints and center bearing with new peices -- plus the slip yoke.

Also think about the fact that I am about to add 100+ hp to a driveshaft that has 220K miles on it. Fresh hard parts will be in order.

Last edited by vazfx16; 03-30-2013 at 07:35 PM.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:19 PM
Teching In

Awesome project! Can't wait to see it
Old 03-30-2013, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blak GT
Awesome project! Can't wait to see it
are you local to me?

Ordered a 1330 slip yoke locally, it came in yesterday, test fit it today, and of course it's the wrong one and doesn't fit. I am going to return it and go to another, more competent shop locally (Denny's Driveshaft).

Also wrapped up the clutch line. Rather than modify the camaro master cylinder fitting to match the BMW, i just had a local hydraulic shop mate the 2 lines. Installed and fits perfectly. I also installed the Lokar throttle cable; the outer sleeve was the perfect length, but the inner line was just a tad too short, so $5 later, a bicycle brake line trimmed to fit finished the job. I finished up the pedals, put them all back together, and we're good to go. I would have bled the clutch but didn't have any spare fluid on hand.

I rebuilt the driver's side engine mount to clear the alternator, and was inspired to get creative with the sharpie...i think it was the brake cleaner fumes

These also came in. I need to buy one of those 45* filler necks so the oil filler cap lines up with the cover.

T56 came back from Texas Drivetrain

and it all went together smoothly.

Then, my daily driver decided to surprise me on Thursday morning

It was broken into 5 pieces, and shredded that tire. I grabbed a replacement spring from a junkyard and had it on the road again later that day.

Old 03-30-2013, 11:17 PM
Teching In

Lol oops, I meant can't to see it finished. As in vicariously through pictures haha

Quick Reply: LQ4/T56 into 2001 BMW 540i