34 coupe on vette suspension and drive line

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 04:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 34 coupe on vette suspension and drive line

Hi
I didnt find a suitible tread for this
Im planning to build a driving car. A hot rod with the handling from a C5 Vette.

Anyone who did that? The vette is wide....
I plan to build the frame from mostley round tubing and square tubing. No standard 34 coupe frame.
The C6 is total 1860mm/73,2" total on the front wheels. And the 34 is 1750mm/68,9" over the front fenders. I dont know if its possible to strech the fenders that much. Does anyone know if they have seen this setup before? I cant find any pics.

Maybe anyone know a better forum for this, but I will be back when it comes to the engine.

thank you.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:24 PM
Teching In

We are doing a 37 chevy car and a 49 chevy truck with C5 suspension and drivetrain. The torque tube for the truck we stretched 11". The k members are sectioned and narrowed 3-4 inches depending on track width. The rear axles are shortened 2 inches on each side. The F-body rack and pinion is 4 inches narrower IIRC. It is very possible. We have also built a 58 Corvette with all C5 suspension and drivetrain. Here is the 'vette build gallery http://58redux.shutterfly.com/

Last edited by TS99SS147; 09-20-2012 at 09:32 PM.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:41 PM
Staging Lane

Took me awhile but I found a few.

This is a C4. I'm sure he did a C5 somewhere. Maybe somewhere here.

http://www.hotrodjim.com/projects_shop_32_roadster.php

Here's a cobra/Vette from 2006. Photos don't show. Same guy?

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/scra...e-project.html
Old 09-22-2012, 05:21 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks. Hotrodjim.com was very useful.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:57 PM
Staging Lane

Finally! The build is on. Next week I recieve the corvette c5 parts and the frame is gonna take shape. The engine comes in container from the us in januar, so I dont have it to look and take measurements from.
I have only worked on my trans am LT1 before, so I dont know anything about the LS1. I found a very useful site för that, www.shbox.com, and searching something similar for LS engines too. Anyone who knows any?

I would like a tip on witch parts other than engine, wire harness and pcm I would need from the same car for easy connection. I dont have to worry too much about emission control.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:36 PM
Staging Lane

Default Shortening the torque tube

So. Parts laying around on the garage floor. I need to cut the tube, but more important is to find the upper mounting points for the rear control arms. Does anyone have a link to some blueprints, scetches or measurements in any way? In the front I have a piece of the frame to build a jig. But the rear is more difficult since I dont have the rest of the corvette.

I want it to be as close to the c5 it can be. But one problem is the 7 inches longer weel base on the -34 coupe. Will it much difference in handling because of this?
Old 10-13-2012, 07:08 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TS99SS147
We are doing a 37 chevy car and a 49 chevy truck with C5 suspension and drivetrain. The torque tube for the truck we stretched 11". The k members are sectioned and narrowed 3-4 inches depending on track width. The rear axles are shortened 2 inches on each side. The F-body rack and pinion is 4 inches narrower IIRC. It is very possible. We have also built a 58 Corvette with all C5 suspension and drivetrain. Here is the 'vette build gallery http://58redux.shutterfly.com/
Hi
I only get a blank page from that link. Maybe my iphone...?
The -37, is that car a lot longer than the -34? Maybe the engine sits more between the wheels. Did you shorten the tube a lot? I would really like to see some inspiration pics if u have some
Old 11-08-2012, 10:17 AM
Staging Lane

Im still waiting for the body to show up. And the engine.
The frame work cant be done without the body, so Im just sitting here waiting right now.
Detailed study of parts:

Old 11-08-2012, 10:49 AM
Staging Lane

This will be a Awsome build looks like you have a great garage
Old 11-08-2012, 06:27 PM
Staging Lane

Yea. In fact its ment to be awesome. Or at least a hot rod that stands out a little. Well yea my garage is very good. But my spot is just around 350 square foot. But then there is a lot of dead space i can use in the drive way. There are 11 more spots there too. Dragrace cars for the most.
That combined with 25 meters of tabes and a bar. Yea the assosiation had a party last week.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:14 PM
Staging Lane

Some inspiration pics. Hood is going down an inch or two...

Lots of SPACE!!!

The tube do NOT need shortening. What was I dreaming about?????
Old 11-13-2012, 10:07 PM
Staging Lane

Crash bumper.

I think Suspension Analyzer 2.0 software by Performance Trends has the C5 stuff in it. It had a 30 day free trial last time I checked.

Found this.

http://www.hotrodjim.com/immages/oth...nt_centers.JPG
Old 11-14-2012, 05:05 PM
Staging Lane

WOW! Thank you! This can be very useful!!
Old 11-15-2012, 04:43 PM
Staging Lane

The rear upper control arm was easy. I managed to measure it in, since we have a -99 corvette in our garage. I fixed the wheel hubs on the jig and then I just have the height to measure in. The two ponts seem to be level.

Now it start to take shape.

Old 11-22-2012, 07:18 PM
Staging Lane

Here is now an update of the project. Finally I got some more tubing on hand. So tomorrow its gonna be some welding.

Old 11-22-2012, 07:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default c5 chassis

Looks good!

I'm in the middle of C5 build going under a 41 ford coupe. I had to add 10" to the torque tube.

Old 11-23-2012, 04:40 PM
Staging Lane

cool! But dont you need more frame than that? Like an X in the middle?
I would really like some more and detailed pics of your build in this thread. I find it very interesting

I just welded the rear frame together, so tomorrow I can let down the rear control arms from the jig and start measuring the front. Have to make some kind of uprights. I have to make a jig for the upper control arms so I can duplicate the right side to the left.
How did you get the exact measurement for the upper control arms? Curious....

Is it strong enough??

Last edited by scaryeyes; 11-23-2012 at 04:47 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:54 PM
Staging Lane

HOLD YOUR HORSES, some might say....
I just had a flash here. The rear upper control arms are placed way too high! And I didnt notice until people told me on a forum. And ofcourse! Looks like I was braindead for 2 weeks here. I have the right measurements and even though I built it wrong. Next week I will have an update of how it should look.
Stay tuned
Old 11-27-2012, 07:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

We are just finishing a conventional framed 33 roadster. I don't see that you have placed the engine with the body on the frame.
The ft accessory drive is VERY close to the radiator, even with the cowl notched for intake clearance. [Truck intake, dressed up].
We had to get creative to get the fan on the rad, and still clear the wp, etc.
Using the truck accessory brkt allows for alt to clear the hood sides. [Vette acc brkt puts alt lower and out to toward the hood side] The ac compressor is a Sanden 508, w/ a Street/Performance mount. TIGHT fit! Had to notch the frame to clear the compressor.

Good luck w/ the build!
Old 11-27-2012, 08:01 PM
Staging Lane

Yea I know that. I dont have the engine yet. But the alt is going where the ac have been. have to make some brackets. And intake... Its not solved yet, but I have to come up with something. Even the radiator is gonna be very tight, since there are gonna be some cross tubing as well for stiffness.
But if you want, I would really like some pics of yours.

Quick Reply: 34 coupe on vette suspension and drive line