Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1947-1953 Chevy Truck HEADERS???

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 10:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1947-1953 Chevy Truck HEADERS???

Hello everyone! I am working on installing my LS1 into my 1951 Chevy Truck and am stuck at what headers I should use. My GTO manifolds hit the frame rails. So what have people used any ideas?? thanks in advance.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 1951chevyman
Hello everyone! I am working on installing my LS1 into my 1951 Chevy Truck and am stuck at what headers I should use. My GTO manifolds hit the frame rails. So what have people used any ideas?? thanks in advance.
You can give us a call here @ straightline and I can build you a set Here's a set i did for a customer a while back for a lt1 impala, it was a tight fit! You can see here how many angles went into that passanger side, frame rail there sucked!

Old 12-06-2012, 04:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default exhaust manifolds

hello to all. torbojoe@straightline, nice headers. i dont want to know what they cost. 1951chevyman, i used a set Trail blazer ss stock exhaust manifolds. if you get a set cheap, i say try a pair. they work for my application and a few others with 67-72 trucks. i did not have to modify the frame rails for the to fit. i modified the heat shilds because they interfered with the frame mounts. i hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails 1947-1953 Chevy Truck HEADERS???-1971-c10-project-015.jpg   1947-1953 Chevy Truck HEADERS???-1971-c10-project-028.jpg   1947-1953 Chevy Truck HEADERS???-1971-c10-project-029.jpg  
Old 12-06-2012, 08:39 AM
Teching In

Thanks guys. I don't think custom made headers are in my budget but oils be nice. How much does a set that you describe run? Any one else have anymore ideas?
Old 12-06-2012, 08:47 AM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default exhaust for 47-53 truck

I used manifolds off a C5 Corvette. These are frequently available off e-bay. Manifolds are stainless steel so you can cut off the flange, weld on 2 1/2 inch pipe and you're there.
Not much else is going to fit inside the frame rails.
PM me your e-mail address and I'll send you a couple of pic's of the install on my truck.
The following users liked this post:
knickel (11-27-2022)
Old 12-06-2012, 10:54 AM
Teching In

Ken,
You have already sent me some stuff on this a few months ago and thanks again. Would you happen to have anymore pictures of the front of your engine about where you mounted it compared to the frame. I'm working on getting it set in place but do not have (headers or manifolds or accesories) I looked up those C5 manifolds and people want crazy money for them now. So if I am going to spend $200 on used manifolds why not get new headers for $300ish? Anyone with other pictures of their LS engine in a AD truck please post them. Thanks
Grant
Old 12-06-2012, 11:49 AM
Banned

only some are stainless, but you can weld to almost all style and types of ls manifolds
Old 12-06-2012, 01:40 PM
Teching In

I'm told that Sanderson makes a header that will work for you. But, I don't think cost is going to be that friendly. I paid $30 for the pair of manifolds that I used. There was a pair on Dallas Craigslist the other day for that same price. So, keep watching ebay. $200 is crazy for sure.
I have some other pictures and will send 'em to your e-mail address.
I didn't measure from the front of the frame rail to the motor mount. Like most motor swaps, you just need to get enough clearance at the firewall to clear the back of the motor. Mine has 1/2 inch from the back of passenger side valve cover to the firewall (measured from the bend where the firewall starts to angle down & back).
You will need to be back this far to have clearance for the bell housing and enough clearance at the radiator to get electric fan(s) on there. Any further forward will be a problem.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:50 PM
Teching In

I used 98 c5 vette on my 53 [ thanks to ken ] but if you have your GTO manifolds angle milled about 3/16'' that will kick the lower part of the manifold in toward the engine about 1''. I paid $50 for my c5 manifolds.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:49 PM
Teching In

Guys anyone have some pictures of how they mounted the engine in the frame? I just received my C5 manifolds and am ready to get my mounts made and in place. My cab is off the frame right now so I need to know I am far enough forward so that I can put the cab back on. Any pictures of this part of your build would be great. Email me at gbusse6@gmail.com
Old 12-12-2012, 01:02 PM
Teching In

Best to do it with the cab on the frame. But, if you really want to get the engine/trans into place.............

Look at your cab. The top half of the firewall faces forward. The bottom half takes about a 45 degree angle down and back. Place a straight edge vertically on the top half of the firewall so that it drops down at least level with the floor of the cab. Measure from the straight edge to the front cab mount.

Then use this measurement to measure from the cab mount on the frame forward and make a mark on the frame. Do this on both sides. Then mark
a line across the frame joining these two reference marks and you know approximately where the forward most point of interference of the cab will be. You can use this to test fit the engine into the chassis.

This will give you a good idea of placement. You shouldn't do more than tack weld the mounts until you get the cab back on and check clearances.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:25 PM
Staging Lane

I ordered a set for a 2010 Camaro this morning. Should get them the first of next week. I will let you know how they fit. I am working on a Chevy II with a TCI clip and if they fit this they should fit just about anything.
Old 03-29-2016, 09:22 AM
Teching In

Sanderson C7LS worked good for me. They are 1 7/8" primary / 3" collector
Attached Thumbnails 1947-1953 Chevy Truck HEADERS???-img_6443.jpg   1947-1953 Chevy Truck HEADERS???-img_6458.jpg  
Old 03-29-2016, 01:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a '51 Ford with L92 in it. I used the C6 corvette manifolds. I figured they were good for 450 to 500 horse, so good enough for my application. They are very narrow (frame width is 27", I believe) and dump in the middle. The stock L92 manifolds were much wider and would have needed to be angle cut.

I had mine high temp ceramic treated and bought the pair new off of ebay for $200 shipped. I kept the stock aluminum heat shields, which work and look great.

I was happy to trade a little power for zero headaches / leaks.

BTW - if you use the C6 manifolds use the pedestal engine mounts from the corvette, too. I didn't figure this out until after. My mounts work, but I had to extend the heat shield (weld in more aluminum to protect the rubber isolator).

good luck,

Doug
Old 03-29-2016, 01:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I took some pictures of the mounts I made. They used a rubber vibration dampener pressed in to a tube sleeve with the struts attaching to the plate bolted to the engine. I've also fabricated "wings" to attach to the frame, which was boxed at that point.

The wings were designed just with cardboard templates, once I had the motor and trans at the right angles and set in the truck properly. I then transferred to steel (3/16" plate)

Note, the washers were there to give me some adjustability fore and aft. I wasn't 100% how close I could get the intake manifold to the firewall as I setup the angles by hanging the engine from the valley cover with a cherry picker and couldn't mount the intake until after.

Does this help?

Old 09-30-2022, 09:33 AM

where's the picture of the drivers side using the Sanderson headers .. Would like to see how your steering worked out .Thanks ! dionpeech@gmail.com
Old 09-30-2022, 11:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,104 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Originally Posted by Peech
where's the picture of the drivers side using the Sanderson headers .. Would like to see how your steering worked out .Thanks ! dionpeech@gmail.com
Who are you asking? This thread was last posted to six years ago, and started way before that. Check post dates....
Old 10-02-2022, 07:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 201 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Who are you asking? This thread was last posted to six years ago, and started way before that. Check post dates....
Maybe tech can just lock threads that are 24 months old, or some random time frame.
Old 11-18-2022, 08:19 AM
Teching In

I know it's an old thread but I was searching for this info recently and I know the old thread helped me out....maybe this info will help others:
Sanderson CPLS134 long tube headers fit the LS in a 47-54 chevy frame! There is about 1/2" on either side between the frame rail and the nearest header tube. The headers don't work with the LSxinnovations sliding engine mounts, they interfere on the drivers side and they have about 3/16" clearance on pass side. I'll have to look into some other offset style mounts with more offset than the sliders provide. Best part is that these headers clear the 4L80E beautifully, no need to trim the ears. Yes they are pricey but if it works for your budget then it's good to know they fit the frame. I have not mocked up steering shaft yet, I have a mustang II kit with a late 80s style rack.....looks like the shaft will need 2 u joints to make the bends between the firewall and the rack while bending around the headers. In the pics it looks like they contact the frame but there is about 1/2" clearance. I will probably add slightly more clearance at a small specific location by trimming the frame, just to buy some insurance against contact.....I'm thinking adding a 3/8" notch along about 1" of the top flange of the frame near where the tubes are close.

Last edited by Parker Lewis; 11-18-2022 at 08:28 AM.
Old 11-27-2022, 09:00 PM
Teching In

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

hey Doug,how are you?

Quick Reply: 1947-1953 Chevy Truck HEADERS???