Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom Long Tube Header / Exhaust Build ***DYNO Results are In***

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 06:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1bigoldman
Is that electrical tape wrapped around the tubes in the header flange?
Yep, the 3" radius bends have slightly thinner wall thickness so they weren't quite as snug in the header flange. The tape was just there to fill the slight gap while I was making the headers. Once I have it tacked onto the flange I'll be able to open it back up some.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:08 PM
11 Second Club

Ok it's been a while since I've updated things. Got all of the primary tubes TIG welded up. They came out looking great and my buddy did an awesome job on the welds. Every pipe was back-purged with argon so the insides are nice and smooth.

I returned the slip-on collectors for some weld-on ones. They will take a little bit more work to get them to fit right but I didn't want to deal with leaky collectors and possible tuning issues.

The next step is to get all the primary tubes mounted in the car again so I can tack them all in their final position.

Now do I put in the time to polish them or leave them natural?
Old 05-02-2013, 12:09 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MX6.0
Ok it's been a while since I've updated things. Got all of the primary tubes TIG welded up. They came out looking great and my buddy did an awesome job on the welds. Every pipe was back-purged with argon so the insides are nice and smooth.

I returned the slip-on collectors for some weld-on ones. They will take a little bit more work to get them to fit right but I didn't want to deal with leaky collectors and possible tuning issues.

The next step is to get all the primary tubes mounted in the car again so I can tack them all in their final position.

Now do I put in the time to polish them or leave them natural?

Looking good. I vote to ceramic coat them as that will further reduce under-hood temps while increasing exhaust velocity.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:23 PM
On The Tree

These look soooo nice! Job well done. I love exposed welds and heat on headers so that would be my preference but do what makes you happy.....they will look good and perform no matter what!
Old 05-03-2013, 06:04 PM
11 Second Club

Right now I'm leaning toward NitroPlate's bright coating. They seem to have good reviews and their prices are reasonable. Hopefully I can get a quick turn-around on the headers.

I like the natural look of the stainless too but under hood temps are a concern. I looked into wrapping them too but got mixed reviews.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:27 PM
Staging Lane

Damn
It is amazing .
I bow to you
Old 05-03-2013, 09:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Right now I'm leaning toward NitroPlate's bright coating. They seem to have good reviews and their prices are reasonable. Hopefully I can get a quick turn-around on the headers.

I like the natural look of the stainless too but under hood temps are a concern. I looked into wrapping them too but got mixed reviews.

Don't wrap them! That's old tech. Wrapping soaks up oil/dirt/water/etc. Coat them and be done with them.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:29 AM
Teching In

I'm going to wrap my headers for my LS with an itb set up for as low under the hood temps as possible. Are ceramics coatings that good? (sorry I think I thread jacked for a second)
PS amazing work man! Major props
Old 05-10-2013, 06:04 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by IrishBoxer92
I'm going to wrap my headers for my LS with an itb set up for as low under the hood temps as possible. Are ceramics coatings that good? (sorry I think I thread jacked for a second)
PS amazing work man! Major props
YES! Go read the data out there, ceramic coatings are amazing products.

I ceramic coated the piston tops and combustion chambers for a 11.5:1 CR engine I built and I could run that engine on 87 octane fuel in 100+ degree weather.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:00 PM
Teching In

ceramic coatings are good but are no where near the kind of insulation that exhaust wrap has. but now I'm thinking why not both? ceramic coating to protect the header and have a little insulation then exhaust wrap to overkill the heat and keep the engine bay that much cooler
Old 05-11-2013, 07:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by IrishBoxer92
ceramic coatings are good but are no where near the kind of insulation that exhaust wrap has. but now I'm thinking why not both? ceramic coating to protect the header and have a little insulation then exhaust wrap to overkill the heat and keep the engine bay that much cooler
No reason you couldn't.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:54 PM
11 Second Club

Actually, from what I've read, wrapping the ceramic coating shortens it's life. And most places that coat the exhaust wont warranty their work if it's wrapped.

Again, this is just what I've read through several searches.
Old 05-12-2013, 01:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Actually, from what I've read, wrapping the ceramic coating shortens it's life. And most places that coat the exhaust wont warranty their work if it's wrapped.

Hmm, never knew that. Good piece of info.
Old 05-12-2013, 01:51 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ive heard this aswell, a while ago.
Old 05-12-2013, 01:55 PM
TECH Veteran

I found this:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...c-coating.html

So it seems with stainless, coating and wrapping is a non-issue. But I'd contact the coater.
Old 05-12-2013, 05:58 PM
TECH Regular

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Your workmanship is great but I hate to break it to you about the x pipe. With a merge like that it is going to be very inefficient.the center of the x has to be the size of each tube going in to it. IE if you have dual 3" then the center of thex must be 3" as well
just thought I'd let you know. Keep up the nice fab work
Beaudacious
Old 05-13-2013, 10:38 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by orange88ls1s-dime
Your workmanship is great but I hate to break it to you about the x pipe. With a merge like that it is going to be very inefficient.the center of the x has to be the size of each tube going in to it. IE if you have dual 3" then the center of thex must be 3" as well
just thought I'd let you know. Keep up the nice fab work
Beaudacious
I'm not sure what you mean here. Are you saying that an X pipe isn't useful when used with a merge collector? Or is it just dependent on the design of the X pipe?

I haven't built the X pipe yet so that's not an issue. I just haven't found much info online about exhaust design other than just pictures of different setups.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:11 AM
TECH Veteran

I'm not sure what you mean here. Are you saying that an X pipe isn't useful when used with a merge collector? Or is it just dependent on the design of the X pipe?

I haven't built the X pipe yet so that's not an issue. I just haven't found much info online about exhaust design other than just pictures of different setups.
I asked about making x pipes a year ago. It seems to be that the idea is to have the narrowest point of the merge be no less (ideally equal to) the cross sectional area of any one pipe. So if you are using 3" pipe, the you need the narrowest point of the merge to have a crossectional area of a 3" pipe. Other than that, try to make the merge as smooth/gentle as possible.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:29 PM
11 Second Club

I was finally able to get some work done on the headers this weekend.

First I tacked all the primaries into their final position and cut the end off all the tubes so they were even. Then I tacked the collector bullets into place.

I also tacked together the 2 collector parts.

The plan is to have the bullets and collectors TIG'ed separately, then once I get them back, I'll tack on the collectors to ensure everything fits right.

It doesn't seem like much work but once you consider how many times I've had the engine in and out, the time adds up pretty quick. I'd easily put this little project higher on the difficulty scale than the whole V8 swap.

Old 06-16-2013, 10:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Looks good! Are those the Holley valve covers?

Quick Reply: Custom Long Tube Header / Exhaust Build ***DYNO Results are In***