Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bump steer correctment steering arm ends?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 08:54 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Bump steer correctment steering arm ends?

I've got a fairly large amount of height I need to make up for with my swap. I've already put a bumpsteer correction kit on there with a heims joint, but i still need more (ugh).

My question is if there is such a thing that screws on to the end of the steering arm that "ramps up" to essentially level out the rack. I've done a bit of searching but I don't know what to call it so I don't know if it exists. This would solve all of my issues!

Thanks

-Mike
Old 04-29-2013, 09:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen offset rack bushings for Fox bodies for this sort of thing.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:10 PM
Launching!

Problem is my steering rack cannot be raised any higher without hitting the oil pan. I could if I pushed it in front of the engine but that's too far forward then.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:16 PM
On The Tree

Can the tie rod end be flipped? From under the steering arm to over? I'm used to 4x4's and this is a normal deal to get the steering to behave when you get to bigger stuff.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:52 PM
Launching!

Not sure what you mean by flipping the tie rods. See how my arms are angled way up? Bumpsteer will be tough to overcome without custom ends like I was talking about. You can see how my "end" is just a striaght piece with the heim joint on it. I'm wondering if they make a piece that curves up ("S" shaped) and then the steering arms are more level.

Old 04-30-2013, 01:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

That is a LONG way to be off for bumpsteer. What type of car is this? What has changed in the front suspension? How long are the spacers on the car currently?

I've lowered a LOT of cars and rarely come across something that drastic. Just guessing from your photos you will need another 1.5 to 2" to even get close. That is a long, long distance to have to rely on a spacer. The longer the lever the higher the force which in your situation means the higher probability of damage and / or failure while enduring the stress of driving.

In short, I'm not a big fan of spacers for things like that. Especially when they are as long as yours.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Man, that looks bad. Have to agree with the above. You need a drastically different solution.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:14 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MDoe8
This is dangerous. Looks like a front driver converted? I assume it's the car in your sig.

You will also need the axle stub bolted in the front or the wheel bearing will fall apart. You may have to adapt a different front suspension on it.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:57 AM
Launching!

Yes it's a fwd converted and yes the axle stub will be put in later.

I was afraid there wouldn't be a simple solution to this. The problem is the motor sits too low so the steering rack is way low and far enough forward that putting it in front of the motor would be too much of an angle back.

Anyone have any suggestions? Are there special steering boxes for issues like this?
Old 04-30-2013, 09:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Can you fabricate a steering arm that you can bolt onto the spindle below the bearing center? Art morrison does that with the C5 kit for 1st gen camaros.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks like you got the steering rack fairly level with the inboard pivot of the lower control arm. What I think you need is a different wheel spindle. The steering knuckle needs to come off the bottom, not the top, of the spindle. That would get the tie rod sloping down to match the lower control arm.

Anyway to adapt something like a Mustang II front end to that?
Old 04-30-2013, 10:13 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by beach cruiser
Can you fabricate a steering arm that you can bolt onto the spindle below the bearing center? Art morrison does that with the C5 kit for 1st gen camaros.
Good idea! Did a bit of research and came upon this. I could do pretty much the exact same thing. I think that, if I use the proper material and pay a pro to weld it for safety, I could make something that could work well. I could have it come inwards, a bit forwards, and definitely lower. Thoughts?

Old 04-30-2013, 11:24 AM
Launching!

Another

Old 04-30-2013, 12:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was going to suggest the same thing but you guys beat me to it. That would be your best route to fix your issues. It's been done plenty of times and as long as you use stout material, you shouldn't have any issues. Some of the older cars had bolt on steering arms standard, nothing new with doing it this way.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:46 PM
Launching!

Awesome, thanks!
Old 04-30-2013, 12:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think one major issue is that he has Front Wheel Drive. .got to have an CV Axle going right through the middle of the Spindle.. But hopefully someone other there has a solution with a lower Steering arm.

Is there another FWD car that has a spindle that can be adapted to your cars front suspension with a lower arm ?

BC
Old 04-30-2013, 01:47 PM
On The Tree

I'm late to this, but it looks like you and beach got it figured out. You could also maybe find a spindle that you could swap out, from what IDK. Fabricating a couple of steering arms is the way to go.

Hard to see in the photos, but could you swap the spindles from side to side? Not sure how they bolt up, but something to consider; along with will your brake calipers bolt up.

Good Luck. Let us know how you solve the problem.

oops. I left and came back a couple hours later and didn't update my browser. You guys already replied.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:43 PM
Launching!

Thanks! I've got an axle stub that I'm going to bolt into place for the wheel bearing. Thanks! I've looked a bit for a swappable hub but haven't found anything yet. If I do, that would be a good way to go. However, it's looking like fabricating a bolt on steering arm is the way to go.

The hubs are already swapped side to side.. This car had a steering rack against the firewall.

Quick Reply: Bump steer correctment steering arm ends?