Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 Hyundai Tiburon conversion to the LS1 Project.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2004, 09:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Hyundai Tiburon conversion to the LS1 Project.

Hi there every one, I am pretty new around here since about 2 months ago. I own a 1999 30th anniversary trans am #1008 and I also currently own a 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT. I am so impressed with the LS1 that I am sick of the design of the Tiburon and the power. Needs more power. My wife was the one to come up with this insane idea, but I am planning to totally modify the Tiburon in all ways, it might not even be reconizable when I get done. The originall drivetrain on the car sucks, so it is going to get a major upgrade. I am going to be needing a 98-02 ls1 donor car to tear apart the whole thing to put into this car. (a wrecked one prefered). The tiburon only weighs about 3100 lbs and with this drivetrain in it, it should sure as hell move. The out side of the car will have a body kit on it with a kameleon paint job and 20'' spinners. The whole drivetrain will an all american ls1 drivetrain to power this beast and the interior is totally getting ripped and redesigned. The goal for this car is to be mainly a showcar, but on the other hand it will be a sure sleeper on the road. Plans for the power gainers are going to 4:10 gears, 224 cam ls6 heads and intake manifold and possible if I can fit it a vortech supercharger. I know this will take me awhile and quite abit of money, but my wife and I are working together to build. Along side of ordering the LS1 parts, we will be ordering most likely 2 of each, one for the tib and one for my 30th t/a. Well see how it goes, when the project starts I will post pics and info about what is going on and also I might asking quite a few questions on how to modify some parts of the body and the installation of the computer and the rest of the drivetrain. Let me know what you guys think about this major project.

The Demond
1999 30th ann t/a ws6 #1008
Old 04-25-2004, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I can't wait to see before and after pics! I don't know about the 20'' spinners though.
Old 04-25-2004, 09:37 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

You might want to check out the hybrid section for info on shoe-horning the LS1 into other vehicles.

As for the idea... I think its cool.
But, I'd probably keep the Tiburon stock looking for the sleeper factor and I happen to like its appearance (inside and out).
Are you going to convert it to RWD also, or have some odd mutant FWD setup (That engine would probably sit high).

This sounds like a massive projet. A tiburon can be fast (maybe not as fast as you are thinkin with the modified LS1). A turbo or supercharger would wake up the Tiburon.

--VIP1
Old 04-25-2004, 09:49 PM
Teching In

I am planning on making this into a rearwheel drive car and for the 20'' spinners, its because it will hardly ever be on the street, show mostly only. Another reason why I am doing this is because, I want to see if I can make it good enough, I might be able to sure get noticed at a real car show (ex. Las Vegas). But if the car does go on the street and race, it will be using the spinners for the race.
Old 04-26-2004, 01:42 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by The Demond
I am planning on making this into a rearwheel drive car and for the 20'' spinners, its because it will hardly ever be on the street, show mostly only. Another reason why I am doing this is because, I want to see if I can make it good enough, I might be able to sure get noticed at a real car show (ex. Las Vegas). But if the car does go on the street and race, it will be using the spinners for the race.
Those wheels will slow you down big time. That is a lot of rotating weight and nobody makes a sticky 20" tire.
Old 04-26-2004, 08:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

you are going to rip apart a trans am to put it in a tib!!!!!! :supergay
Old 04-26-2004, 10:41 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

The Demond:
20" spinners....
but the rest sounds like an interesting idea.

zamboxl:
It looks like he wants to use a wrecked f-body.
Plus the Tiburon isnt a bad car. For one thing, it has a better interior (especially the seats).

--VIP1
Old 04-26-2004, 10:59 AM
Staging Lane

I hope you pockets are a little deep.
Old 04-26-2004, 11:48 AM
z98
TECH Fanatic

So is this gonna end up a tube chasis with a tiberon skin?
Old 04-26-2004, 12:20 PM
TECH Addict

can you pimp my ride too? lol
Old 04-26-2004, 01:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by VIP1
The Demond:
20" spinners....

zamboxl:
Plus the Tiburon isnt a bad car. For one thing, it has a better interior (especially the seats).

--VIP1
well i guess once you take out the crap drivetrain it be ok. But why wouldn't you just fix up the crash trans am hook it up and end up with a beast a true bad @*** beast of a showcar o my god it would be a beutifull thing. i guest iam just a little obsest with t/a's trans am
Old 04-26-2004, 01:38 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Originally Posted by zamboxl
well i guess once you take out the crap drivetrain it be ok. But why wouldn't you just fix up the crash trans am hook it up and end up with a beast a true bad @*** beast of a showcar o my god it would be a beutifull thing. i guest iam just a little obsest with t/a's trans am
To each their own.
Honestly, the Tiburon isnt that bad.

BTW I do prefer a Firebird (see sig.)

--VIP1
Old 04-26-2004, 04:59 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by nickv
I hope you pockets are a little deep.
They will be both my wife and I work to jobs and over 60 hours a week.
Old 04-26-2004, 05:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by zamboxl

This the "wife" writing on this one. I don't want another trans am, the whole reason I am doing this is b/c I want the power and reliability of a pontiac w/o the frustrations of a hyundai. I have replaced the clutch 2 times in the piece of crap, and the last one which was done in December starting having a burning smell and getting stuck into gear about 3 weeks later. I much rather have something with more power and that I know will be reliable. I personally want one of the new Grand Ams, but that will have to wait, we have three cars as it is. Plus doing anything other than what I want to do to the tiburon would be to normal, and if you knew me, what I want to do to the tiburon is normal in my mind. No more trans ams, I like the one I have, I like the way it rides and the power it has, but I don't want another one.
Old 04-26-2004, 05:08 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by VIP1
The Demond:
20" spinners....

zamboxl:

--VIP1
The "wife" is writing again, we do want to use a wrecked f-body, and there are many of them out there.
Old 04-26-2004, 05:10 PM
Teching In

Okay for all of you who don't like the idea of the 20'' spinners, maybe you should look at them first:

http://www.superbuytires.com/wheels_...=Gladiator+SP6
Old 04-26-2004, 05:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Okay for all of you who don't like the idea of the 20'' spinners, maybe you should look at them first:

http://www.superbuytires.com/wheels_...=Gladiator+SP6
Okay, thanks, now I definately hate them.
Old 04-26-2004, 07:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mark IXZD 150
Okay, thanks, now I definately hate them.
spiners!!!
Old 04-26-2004, 08:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

This the "wife" writing on this one. I don't want another trans am, the whole reason I am doing this is b/c I want the power and reliability of a pontiac w/o the frustrations of a hyundai. I have replaced the clutch 2 times in the piece of crap, and the last one which was done in December starting having a burning smell and getting stuck into gear about 3 weeks later. I much rather have something with more power and that I know will be reliable. I personally want one of the new Grand Ams, but that will have to wait, we have three cars as it is. Plus doing anything other than what I want to do to the tiburon would be to normal, and if you knew me, what I want to do to the tiburon is normal in my mind. No more trans ams, I like the one I have, I like the way it rides and the power it has, but I don't want another one.
wow ok ok it's cool to each his own.
Old 04-26-2004, 09:17 PM
On The Tree

I agree on the spinners, NO WAY!! Just get a set of 18's w/ a deep lip and you'll be set. But everybody likes different stuff, I'm just glad not many f-bod guys(LS1's) put spinners on their cars-that's a definite NO GO.

Quick Reply: 2003 Hyundai Tiburon conversion to the LS1 Project.