Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls 4.8/5.3 turbo budget fox

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 06:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls 4.8/5.3 turbo budget fox

So im new to this forum and new to a build like this. I'm interested in doing a turbo ls 4.8 or 5.3 in a fox body on e85 and on a budget... of course

I've been doing quite a bit of research and I hear people making this swap happen for about 5 grandish. the info I've gotten has already been very helpful, but I was hoping someone could sum up a very basic parts list for me.

basically my end goal is similar to others... I want a gutted street legal 10sec beater! (don't really care bout reliability either)

I and a friend should be capable of all the work except the tune.

parts is was planning on
aje k member
custom driveshaft
stall converter

some of my questions are..
is it best to by a "drop out" (engine/accseriees/tranny/harness and ecu?)
do I need that vehicles gauges also? even if I have the cluster ziptied somewhere I can see them
what auto transmission?
fuel system pump/rails/injectors etc?

I realize I could search forever but theres a 93 lx roller fs in the area, should I pull the trigger or no?

any help would be awesome
thanks
Old 10-03-2013, 11:02 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by newtothefox
So im new to this forum and new to a build like this. I'm interested in doing a turbo ls 4.8 or 5.3 in a fox body on e85 and on a budget... of course

I've been doing quite a bit of research and I hear people making this swap happen for about 5 grandish. the info I've gotten has already been very helpful, but I was hoping someone could sum up a very basic parts list for me.

basically my end goal is similar to others... I want a gutted street legal 10sec beater! (don't really care bout reliability either)

I and a friend should be capable of all the work except the tune.

parts is was planning on
aje k member
custom driveshaft
stall converter

some of my questions are..
is it best to by a "drop out" (engine/accseriees/tranny/harness and ecu?)
do I need that vehicles gauges also? even if I have the cluster ziptied somewhere I can see them
what auto transmission?
fuel system pump/rails/injectors etc?

I realize I could search forever but theres a 93 lx roller fs in the area, should I pull the trigger or no?

any help would be awesome
thanks
Realistically it will be very tough for you to complete this project for $5,000. Parts have their way of adding up fast and when your really close to the end its always easy to just go out and buy that "last" part to finish it rather than wait for a good deal. Being completely honest here for my fox project I expected it to be around 15k for me, start to finish (granted I wanted a very nice clean interior with ac and to run 9's and something my mom would drive) now that I am done and have been driving it around but still need a tune I am thus far 30k into it and most likely have another 1k to spend to finish it exactly how I want it. But if you are just putting together a beater it can be done but will be difficult to stay at that price range but not impossible but there will be a lot of things left on the table by not spending in certain areas.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:06 AM
9 Second Club

To answer some of your other questions as far as a motor and trans go, you'll have to decide on that. Things such as what trans do you want 4l80 or 4l60? Do you want f body acc or truck, which intake? Stand alone harness or are you planning on modifying a stock one and making it work? Fuel system as stated above when on a budget you may end up leaving power on the table by trying to stay under that 5k mark by not setting up a good fuel system thats up to the task, so you have decide whether you plan on trying to make a lot of power with this down the road. Thats why these projects get out of hand, you put the car together for 5k, get it running, lose a few races and want to add power and end up buying a ton of parts twice in the upgrade process. Gotta plan the build carefully.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:13 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by geoff17
To answer some of your other questions as far as a motor and trans go, you'll have to decide on that. Things such as what trans do you want 4l80 or 4l60? Do you want f body acc or truck, which intake? Stand alone harness or are you planning on modifying a stock one and making it work? Fuel system as stated above when on a budget you may end up leaving power on the table by trying to stay under that 5k mark by not setting up a good fuel system thats up to the task, so you have decide whether you plan on trying to make a lot of power with this down the road. Thats why these projects get out of hand, you put the car together for 5k, get it running, lose a few races and want to add power and end up buying a ton of parts twice in the upgrade process. Gotta plan the build carefully.
thanks for the reply, although not the answer i was looking for, probably a realistic one

What type of modification would need to be done?
Old 10-03-2013, 12:48 PM
Teching In

I am currently finishing up on my LS swap, I got the car for $700 (90 notch 5.0 w/t-5) 123k miles, had been parked for 8 years great interior, I stole it. 5.3 with PCM and harness for $500, 4L80e with converter $600 slip yoke $100. aje crossmember with a-arms $700. Custom length drive shaft $100, new fuel system in-tank Bosch 044, $300. LS6 intake $300, Fbody oil pan kit $250, Leash electronics relay board $100. Fbody radiator free, got love free. Lincoln markVIII fan $20, trans cooler $15, and at least another $1000 in misc things not mentioned. That's the cheapest-best LS mustang swap I have ever seen. Took me 6 months to buy all the parts and get it on the road. Brother in law is tuning it, so good cost savings there too. My goal was 4K, I was a little over $4700 when done. Helps I sold the 5.0 and T-5 for $1250!!!!! Suckers
Old 10-03-2013, 01:00 PM
Teching In

I am leaving out a bunch of stuff that was very time consuming but not expensive necessarily. I built the exhaust using corvette manifolds and 2-1/2" pipe all the way out to the rear bumper. Re-wired the factory truck harness, used ford sending units for all the factory gauges. (No speedometer yet, but that's it.) fabed my own trans crossmember, built my own cold air intake. I have an considerable amount of tools and raw supplies already at my disposal, another benefit many may not have. I spent a ton of time researching what to buy, and learned a lot from my brother in law who has already completed his LS swap, a 6.0 turbo with powerglide running 5.60's in the 1/8th. It's not possible without help from those of us who have already been in your shoes. Feel free to ask, I may not know the answer, but there is a good chance I do.
Old 10-03-2013, 01:07 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 5.3Notch
I am currently finishing up on my LS swap, I got the car for $700 (90 notch 5.0 w/t-5) 123k miles, had been parked for 8 years great interior, I stole it. 5.3 with PCM and harness for $500, 4L80e with converter $600 slip yoke $100. aje crossmember with a-arms $700. Custom length drive shaft $100, new fuel system in-tank Bosch 044, $300. LS6 intake $300, Fbody oil pan kit $250, Leash electronics relay board $100. Fbody radiator free, got love free. Lincoln markVIII fan $20, trans cooler $15, and at least another $1000 in misc things not mentioned. That's the cheapest-best LS mustang swap I have ever seen. Took me 6 months to buy all the parts and get it on the road. Brother in law is tuning it, so good cost savings there too. My goal was 4K, I was a little over $4700 when done. Helps I sold the 5.0 and T-5 for $1250!!!!! Suckers
Good work, I never said it couldn't be done, just difficult. My problem was I wanted to overbuild everything (which I pretty much did) you actually budgeted your build and stuck to it, I just guessed what I thought it was going to cost and was way wrong after completing it all. OP feel free to ask me any questions you may have as well I'm willing to help in anyway I can.
Old 10-03-2013, 01:13 PM
Teching In

O-I figured I was going to blow my budget, I would have made it if I didn't have to to the AJE, and could stick with the factory k-member. I figured it would really cost $7-10. But I got luck with a bunch of stuff, the brother in law intell helped considerably.
Old 10-03-2013, 02:04 PM
Teching In

a much more encouraging reply. thanks... no turbo for you?
Old 10-03-2013, 02:10 PM
Teching In

do you have a build thread by chance?
Old 10-03-2013, 02:54 PM
Teching In

No turbo......yet. I am planning on a turbo, that's why I went with the 4L80e. It's a lot less work to go with a 4L60, but they are weak. I have not done a thread, but I took a ton of pics, on when I have time I will put one together.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:40 PM
9 Second Club

Your trying to stay under 5k and going turbo? Good luck, for me the turbo stuff is what really put the hurting on the wallet because I spent a bunch of money on making sure everything else was up to the task (ie proper converter, good trans, built rear, steller fuel system, good intercooler, good wastegate and bov) I also made sure to spend the money to make sure I could make the power hook (ie full suspension, tubular everything) The AC also added to my bill a bit as well and all new full interior and nice seats.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:36 PM
Teching In

When I go turbo, I plan on dropping another 3-4K. For now it's going to be my daily driver, and tuned for MPG. OD trans and 3.08 rear axle. I am shooting for high 20's on the highway. We will see shortly.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:47 PM
Teching In

[QUOTE=5.3Notch;17727786]When I go turbo, I plan on dropping another 3-4K. For now it's going to be my daily driver, and tuned for MPG. OD trans and 3.08 rear axle. I am shooting for high 20's on the highway. We will see shortly.[/QUOTE

maybe this is what I should figure on.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:32 AM
9 Second Club

Sorry if this is harsh, but even if you keep the interior gutted and use a lot of stock suspension parts and stock gauge cluster and save money here and save money there sort of thing I would expect to spend around 10k for an turbo lsx swap fox if you want it to be done right and run 10's. Also be really careful when buying stuff off craigslist too, my build was done until I realized that my "built" rear end I bought off craigslist was built completely wrong and now I am having to rebuild it.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by geoff17
Sorry if this is harsh, but even if you keep the interior gutted and use a lot of stock suspension parts and stock gauge cluster and save money here and save money there sort of thing I would expect to spend around 10k for an turbo lsx swap fox if you want it to be done right and run 10's. Also be really careful when buying stuff off craigslist too, my build was done until I realized that my "built" rear end I bought off craigslist was built completely wrong and now I am having to rebuild it.
my definition and of "right" might be totally different then yours.lol as i stated originally that my build doesnt have to be reliable. not saying you wrong about the 10k budget tho im going to try to keep her down...that sucks about you rearend tho
Old 10-04-2013, 12:58 PM
9 Second Club

gotcha, I guess if reliability isn't important than that budget is feasible.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:36 AM
Teching In

When I go turbo, I plan on dropping another 3-4K. For now it's going to be my daily driver, and tuned for MPG. OD trans and 3.08 rear axle. I am shooting for high 20's on the highway. We will see shortly.
have you ever had your car to the track? you have been a huge help btw
Old 10-06-2013, 04:32 PM
Teching In

Have not been to the track yet, we just tuned it for the first time on Thursday night. And diagnosed a bad head gasket, so I have more parts on order, then I can finish the tuning and take it to the track.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:08 PM
Teching In

Have not been to the track yet, we just tuned it for the first time on Thursday night. And diagnosed a bad head gasket, so I have more parts on order, then I can finish the tuning and take it to the track.
that sucks... i always have bad tuning luck. keep me posted with numbers will ya?

Quick Reply: ls 4.8/5.3 turbo budget fox