Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle Cable

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 03:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Throttle Cable

I am trying to avoid spending the $100 on a Lokar throttle cable and bracket after already spending $60 on a gas pedal. I want to try to make a stock throttle cable work. I have purchased a 4th Gen F-body without cruise throttle cable and a used pedal off a 4th gen and I want to try to make that work. I think I can do it, but the length of the cable and sheath inside of the firewall seems excessive which will require a long arm off the pedal. I have also heard of others using a truck or van cable. For those who have not used the Lokar, please tell me exactly how you rigged this; pedal, cable, cable bracket, firewall penetration and/or any other details you can.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would like to know this as well. Running into similar issue with my build.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I myself have hunted all over the place looking or a good throttle cable or aftermarket replacement. Apparently Chevrolet figured thee would be bulletproof ad last forever.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 198 Likes on 144 Posts

Throttle cables are easy and can be done real cheap with factory parts. First off, what is this going into? You would need the factory cable that originally went to your car, cut the firewall part off of it, then drill the end the cable goes into the size of your 4th gen cable. Cut the actual cable inside the sheath at the gas pedal end and remove it. then cut the outer sheath to length from the throttle body bracket to the firewall piece you cut off your original cable. A little super glue will hold the cable in the original firewall part. Then put the cable back inside and secure the gas pedal end with a small cable stop that you can get in the Help section of any parts store. If you need pics, there are some of my '71 truck in my build thread that should be similar to what you would need to do. Page 2 and 3. https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...-c-10-a-2.html
Old 11-21-2013, 09:11 AM
TECH Regular

LS1Nova71, thank you for your response. My build is a 68 Camaro, so I am using the 69 Camaro 6 cylinder pedal. Your method seems pretty complicated compared to what I am thinking> i would like to hear from those that used a Truck or van cable. I think I can make it work with the LS-1, but I am not sure how it adapts to the LS-1 bracket. I am thinking of getting the truck bracket with it and modifying the LS1 bracket by cutting and welding.
Old 11-22-2013, 12:08 PM
TECH Regular

Well, my LS1 throttle cable came in along with the 4th gen F-body pedal. I think I am going to try to make that work. I'll let everyone know what happens.
Old 11-22-2013, 02:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

just use a bicycle brake cable. ive used them several times with no issues and you can make it whatever length you want.
Old 11-22-2013, 02:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Old 11-22-2013, 07:13 PM
TECH Regular

Pretty ingenious Swapper, but too late. I finished it up today but not without a couple "Oh *****". I bought a 3/4 inch hole saw for the firewall hole and it ended up making a hole about .800" which wouldn't work. I went to the hardware store and bought a machine spacer with the correct ID of .750 and welded that to the firewall (temporary for now, I will finish welding after I pull the engine for final rework). Then I used part of the 69 Camaro pedal and part of the 4th gen pedal welded together to finish everything up. I have pictures enclosed and can still make minor adjustments by heating and bending the pedal. I may have to do that after the carpet is installed, but I used some foam padding to try to represent the carpet.
Attached Thumbnails Throttle Cable-gas-pedal-set-up.jpg   Throttle Cable-gas-pedal-welding.jpg   Throttle Cable-throttle-cable-firewall.jpg   Throttle Cable-gas-pedal-hooked-up.jpg  

Quick Reply: Throttle Cable