Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

65 Skylark Lr4 and 4L65 swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 04:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 65 Skylark Lr4 and 4L65 swap

Well I've been lurking and learning alot since wanting to replace the stick engine and leaking trans in the Buick.

I'm unfortunately commissioning the build due to a lack of time but I'm excited to get it all started.

Here's what I've purchased so far:
'06 Silverado engine and trans
Atomic LS Efi
Atomic trans controller
Aeromotive tank with phantom pump.

My bank sets a daily spending limit on the card I use so more stuff definitely coming soon.

I'm looking to use the dirty dingo accessory drive relocation brackets
And BRP mounting kit. I'd like a thumbs up or another suggestion if you have a better quality or priced solution.

Holly oil pan

And sourcing a car intake and injectors from here.

I'll try and add some pictures later when I'm not relegated to phone use only.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks like you are going to have a nice build. Any pictures of the car? What size motor is it?
Old 01-06-2015, 09:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Looking forward to seeing your build. Sure sounds like the new Holly pan 302-2 is the way to go. Good luck. Let see some pictures of that bad boy
Old 01-07-2015, 08:42 AM
Staging Lane

So the car is in pretty good shape. It had been "reworked" some before I got it. Has an OK paint job, good original interior, and a "freshly rebuilt" motor.

The 300 Buick motor runs strong but uses so much oil in blow by that oil costs more than gas to operate it. Plus no one wants to drive behind an old car when you can't see what the hell is in front of you anyway.

Its driver quality, nothings too nice or perfect, which is how I like things, so I'm not afraid to drive it.
Old 01-07-2015, 11:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Nice looking 65 Skylark. It will be a sleeper for sure.
Old 01-08-2015, 05:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Very nice! This will be a great candidate for an LS, welcome aboard.
Old 01-08-2015, 10:45 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the encouragement guys.

I'm struggling to find a car intake, throttle body and injectors at this time to go with the motor. If you guys have stock take offs, or know someone who does I'd appreciate some contact info.

Also from prior research, I'm going to need an ls1 water pump is that correct? And good for insurance should I look into getting a new timing chain?

Goals are to boost the motor with a single turbo down the line. But want to get it running reliably first .

Best damn forum around!
Old 01-08-2015, 11:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Nothing wrong with the stock truck intake. You should have enough hood clearance. Be careful on the water pump. I am aware of 3 different spacings in relation to the pulley. I would just get the water pump that came on your truck motor. Hinson just advertised the strongest single timing chain. You might want to check it out. They just advertised under internal mods about a discount.

Question? Do you have everything that came with the truck motor such as the throttle body and water pump?

Last edited by 1989GTA; 01-08-2015 at 03:43 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-08-2015, 05:05 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 1989GTA
Nothing wrong with the stock truck intake. You should have enough hood clearance. Be careful on the water pump. I am aware of 3 different spacings in relation to the pulley. I would just get the water pump that came on your truck motor. Hinson just advertised the strongest single timing chain. You might want to check it out. They just advertised under internal mods about a discount.

Question? Do you have everything that came with the truck motor such as the throttle body and water pump?
I got the motor fully dressed minus the wiring and PCM. Purchased the atomic ls kit specific for car intakes. I believe the only difference is the mounting of the fuel rail, which is indeednspecific to intake used. And then as I've found out. Injectors are different demensionally for the corresponding intake manifold used.

At least this is what I've learned... Could have learned wrong though.
Old 01-09-2015, 06:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You do have the truck injectors? If so use them for the time being. There are adapters for the injector plugs if necessary. When you do the upgrade to turbo you could do the rest of the swap then. In my understanding the only mod that may be necessary for the truck intake to fit under you hood is to nip off the standoffs for the dress up cover. There are several here that have done the 64-67 cars they should weigh in soon.
Old 01-10-2015, 06:09 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks oldgoat. I appreciate the advice.

Honestly, I'm not absolutely certain what I've got yet. I had the local yard deliver the '06 drive train to the shop.

I made it clear that I expected all running accessories except wiring harness and pcm. I've been out of town for a conference since... I should hear more about it Monday and I'll find out which ac compressor I have to make the correct purchase on the dirty dingo bracket relocation mounts.

I'm waiting for parts to come in. The local speed shop in Joliet is meeting or beating all online prices (even after sales tax) so I'll have to be patient.
Old 01-11-2015, 08:50 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 64 Likes on 36 Posts

Good looking 65. These cars are perfect for the LS.
Old 02-04-2015, 10:22 AM
Staging Lane

I'm about two weeks away from getting it in the shop. waiting till the end of this week for the Holley oil pan to come in from back order at Summit.

I have a few odds and ends to pick up still to complete things.

Throttle body cable, what length do you think is appropriate? Just as a guess, I was going to pick up the Lokar 48" cut to length cable. Please let me know if this will be enough.

Also going to order the trans dipstick from Lokar.

Here's a question, for a VCC to mech speedo conversion box. I saw one by Dakota Digital that I like, only question is which speedo cable does this use? clip on or thread on?

I also plan on modifying the stock trans crossmember for 4L trans.

So, if all the parts purchased are as complete as possible, and some of the used stuff isn't spent/ broken already this thing should be out of the shop in 2-3 days. I give it a week at most, also going to have all new window seals put in place and getting the wiper arms shimmed up so i can use them reliably.

This will be a fair weather DD car. And i eventually want to get it pushing a mild turbo set up to achieve over 450 ft/ lbs to the rear wheels, with most of it coming in around 22-2500 rpm

but up and running, reliability and safety upgrades first.
Old 02-08-2015, 04:17 PM
Staging Lane

Ordered some more stuff last night. VSS to cable conversion speedo box, throttle cables, Trans dipstick, fpr, fuel filter, painless wiring kit, some miscellaneous tubing for an air intake, as well as some window Seals from op and some h4 conversion headlights with the requisite relays and wiring.

Again about a week before the old 300 comes out to make room for the new.

The holey 302-2 should show up about the same time as all this new stuff

Last edited by marbs34; 02-08-2015 at 04:20 PM. Reason: typing on a tablet is worse than my phone
Old 02-09-2015, 05:10 PM
Staging Lane

Default are you mc-serious?

Ibordered the holley pan from summit on Jan 26th. Knowing it was backordered until today, got a notification that the backorder has been extended until the 22nd or so now.

I'm glad I didn't have a hard commit date for work to begin on my car, it would have been worse to have everything waiting on a damn oil pan to adjust and fit stuff around it.

Anyone getting anywhere with getting ahold of one of these 302-2 pans?

Yesterday I felt like a "smart dude" ordering it before I needed it, but now I'm starting to feel like a fool.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:01 PM
TECH Junkie

You are not alone with regarding the Holley oil pan. I have seen others in the same situation as you.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:57 PM
Staging Lane

Ohh, I noticed (understatement)

Again, I thought I was ahead of it when I ordered weeks ago. Thinking it would be on its way now.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:01 PM
Launching!

Nice looking car, should be great for you in the end.
Old 05-13-2015, 06:12 PM
Staging Lane

Is been awhile, and I don't have any new pics but I do have some updates...

My mechanic is moving really slow, I'm a Marine so I'm used to having things right now or doing them myself until its finished. But Bruce is known for quality work so I trust him.

Got the tired Buick 300 pulled and shipped off to a guy in Georgia, I offered it up on the V8 Buick forum for those guys that want original motors and have an interest in rebuilding older stuff, made him pay shipping and take the leaky TH350 with it to get it out of the way.

Got a Grand Cherokee steering box which is an upgrade I wanted to do anyway. The original box was leaking from all of its seals anyway.

Today I ordered a new rear light harness to go with the painless 21 fuse "muscle car" harness. A front light harness is on back order for the time being. I figure if I'm going to replace some of it, might as well get all of the old stuff out of there too.

Got excited and ordered some wheels... US Mags U111 17x7 front and 17x8 for the rear. They have a negative 1 offset and a 4 and 4.5 inch backspacing respectively. They are just big enough to clear 13" disks although that will be a round two challenge. The thinking is this... If I'd be out $300 bucks just for some rear tires to go on the 15x8 ralleys why not spend more now to save in the end?

Also after reading the install instructions for the Atomic LS efi for the 10th time, decided that the fuel system will be PWM with a return and external regulator.

The EFI uses the map sensor and when it senses a lack of vacuum will switch from PWM to full duty cycle on the pump to support boost...

Good for cruising, keeping the fuel cool, the pump won't be over worked and I won't have to tie in a secondary fuel pump controller, so the A1000 should last.

I'm getting pretty excited, its warm out and I'm missing my car now.
Old 07-16-2015, 10:53 AM
Staging Lane

Default Having trouble with mounts

I've tried both of the Mounts from energy suspension. I initially got the tall and narrows, which were absolutely not going to work with the frame stands in the vehicle. Then purchased the short and wides. Well they are too narrow also, they can probably be beat onto the frame stands but then they will need to be holed out for the motor mount bolts to slide in.

Second, it doesn't look like the engine is going to fit where the Mounts need to be. They seem to be too far back, and the DD sliders have run out of adjustment.

So I know 1989gta took out a 6 and used tall and narrows. What about speedtigger. Did you replace a v8 from your 65?.

I pulled out a 300 with the aluminum 4v manifold.

Please help guys. I'm at a loss for what to do next.

Quick Reply: 65 Skylark Lr4 and 4L65 swap