Sponsored by:

Hooker 1964-67 A-body LS swap system preview thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 10:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Senna
Todd

We did rotate the engine mounts as mush as we could, so I do believe I will need to slot the hole in the frame.

The headers do look pretty darn parallel to the frame.

I'm using a digital app for the phone to measure. I don't have a balance on yet. I'll see about installing it.

Sounds like I'm close enough to get a drive shaft made, so I measure that and get one made.
It sounds like you are using the Clinometer app for your phone, which is what I use and is good and accurate if your phone model has nice flat sides on it (I use an old iphone 5).

You can take measurements off of the front of the crank snout if your balancer is not yet installed.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddoky
It sounds like you are using the Clinometer app for your phone, which is what I use and is good and accurate if your phone model has nice flat sides on it (I use an old iphone 5).

You can take measurements off of the front of the crank snout if your balancer is not yet installed.
Todd, Yes to the clinometer app.

I did measure off the crank snout and any other surface I could find. It's consistently 4.2-4.3 deg. It seams like the amount it has to move up to gain even 1 deg is unrealistic.

I'm going to work on getting a drive shaft, that could be a week or two away.

The T56 Magnum is supposed to be on the lower mount of the cross member, correct?
Old 11-29-2017, 08:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Todd, Yes to the clinometer app.

I did measure off the crank snout and any other surface I could find. It's consistently 4.2-4.3 deg. It seams like the amount it has to move up to gain even 1 deg is unrealistic.

I'm going to work on getting a drive shaft, that could be a week or two away.

The T56 Magnum is supposed to be on the lower mount of the cross member, correct?
Don't get too caught up in any one particular measurement at the moment, get your driveshaft in and let me know when you get to that point. Did you do a T-cut in the floor over your transmission? What specific model/year A-body is your car? What rearend are you using? Post up a side view shot of your car that shows it's ride height/stance if you can so I can see what you're working with overall.

Last edited by Toddoky; 11-29-2017 at 08:59 PM.
Old 11-29-2017, 09:33 PM
On The Tree

Don't get too caught up in any one particular measurement at the moment, get your driveshaft in and let me know when you get to that point. Did you do a T-cut in the floor over your transmission? What specific model/year A-body is your car? What rearend are you using? Post up a side view shot of your car that shows it's ride height/stance if you can so I can see what you're working with overall.
66 with 1" low springs in the back sitting on a 10 bolt ( 12 bolt some time in the future).

Tin Man fab

Old 11-29-2017, 10:27 PM
Teching In

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

FYI Tremec also has a good free driveline angle app available. It also has several other functions built into it.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,090 Likes on 2,406 Posts

NICE ride, Troy!
Old 11-29-2017, 11:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by CapSS92
FYI Tremec also has a good free driveline angle app available. It also has several other functions built into it.
I have the app. Just assumed I needed the drive shaft to utilize the feature.
Old 11-29-2017, 11:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by G Atsma
NICE ride, Troy!
Thanks, It's about to get a lot nicer!
Old 11-30-2017, 12:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,090 Likes on 2,406 Posts

Thanks, It's about to get a lot nicer!
Old 12-15-2017, 05:28 PM
On The Tree

Todd, so I received my drive shaft from Strange Engineering.

the measurements are Engine/trans are @ 5 deg down the drive shaft is @ 1 deg and the diff is @ 3 deg up.

I do have adj upper rear control arms.

I'm still perplexed as to why the eng/trans are @ 5 deg. The trans is on the lower of the two pads on the cross member. Also, I mounted the cross member as per the directions. It is one hole shy of being all the way back. At this placement the bolts for the trans mount will not start in the mount. They are hitting on the front edge of the slot in the cross member. It would probably work if I move the cross member forward one hole, (now two from the back).

I'm using factory GM 2000 f body engine mounts.
Old 12-15-2017, 06:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Todd, so I received my drive shaft from Strange Engineering.

the measurements are Engine/trans are @ 5 deg down the drive shaft is @ 1 deg and the diff is @ 3 deg up.

I do have adj upper rear control arms.

I'm still perplexed as to why the eng/trans are @ 5 deg. The trans is on the lower of the two pads on the cross member. Also, I mounted the cross member as per the directions. It is one hole shy of being all the way back. At this placement the bolts for the trans mount will not start in the mount. They are hitting on the front edge of the slot in the cross member. It would probably work if I move the cross member forward one hole, (now two from the back).

I'm using factory GM 2000 f body engine mounts.
I will give your install some thought over the weekend and come up with a list of things to check. Do you know if the partial VIN on your frame matches the body VIN?
Old 12-15-2017, 06:09 PM
On The Tree

I will give your install some thought over the weekend and come up with a list of things to check. Do you know if the partial VIN on your frame matches the body VIN?
Where is the vin# located on the frame?
Old 12-15-2017, 06:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Where is the vin# located on the frame?
It's typically found on top of the driver side frame rail behind the rear tire, so you'll need to investigate with a small mirror.
Old 12-15-2017, 06:56 PM
On The Tree

It's typically found on top of the driver side frame rail behind the rear tire, so you'll need to investigate with a small mirror.
With what I just went through to change the body bushings I doubt the body has ever been of the frame.

I have some photos of the top of the frame rails when I was replacing the trunk floor. Maybe I'll get lucky and be able to see the vin in one of the photos.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:45 PM
TECH Junkie

With what I just went through to change the body bushings I doubt the body has ever been of the frame.

I have some photos of the top of the frame rails when I was replacing the trunk floor. Maybe I'll get lucky and be able to see the vin in one of the photos.
See what you can find, any variable you can validate helps to narrow things down. Are the crossmember frame adapters raised up all the way against the bottom of the top frame flanges?
Old 12-15-2017, 08:04 PM
On The Tree

Old 12-26-2017, 04:14 PM
On The Tree

So, I'm still trying to get this ironed out.

With the trans sitting on the two shims provided ( 1/2" ) it is 4.8* down And I match the pinion at 4.8* down And the shaft is at .8* down.

this gives me operating angles of 3.9* on each u joint. This seams unacceptable.

If I move the trans up and add another 1/2' spacer for a total of 1" tall spacer.
I get 4* down on the trans and the pinion is at 4*down and the shaft is at 2*

This gives me 2* operating angle on both u joints. This seams perfect. Although it would require some modification of the floor brace at minimum, probably some extra tunnel mods as well.

When I saying down on the pinon I'm say the angle of the pinion shaft from front to back just like the trans and shaft are down from front to back.

http://spicerparts.com/calculators/d...gle-calculator
Old 12-26-2017, 06:15 PM
TECH Junkie

You are closing in on your final set-up geometry. Operating angles of 3.9 degrees are definitely excessive...if you can obtain 2 degree operating angles on both U-joints and have clearance between your oil pan and tie rod ends up front then you are in a good place at that position. Take the car out for a test drive set where you have it (2 degree operating angles) and if you get vibration under acceleration you'll need to tip your pinion down towards the ground a degree or two as a final adjustment...if you go too far it will introduce vibration under deceleration.

With your indication that your floor brace might need clearancing, it's possible your floor has sagged over the years somewhat, which does come up from time to time.

Last edited by Toddoky; 12-26-2017 at 06:23 PM.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:47 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Toddoky I was wondering if you could help I think I was sent 2 left side pipes on my 70501311RHKR. The left hand side goes under crossmember and the right is up into cross member so both pipes have the same bends in them. I've emailed pictures to holley a couple times phoned a few times for the last month and the only thing I've been told is engineering is looking at it. I would like to get it resolved as I waited for 3 months after ordering to receive exhaust now a month with no one getting back to me as I am waiting to put my body back on the frame.
Attached Thumbnails Hooker 1964-67 A-body LS swap system preview thread-exhaust1.jpg   Hooker 1964-67 A-body LS swap system preview thread-exhaust2.jpg   Hooker 1964-67 A-body LS swap system preview thread-ex3.jpg  
Old 02-09-2018, 12:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Can you pull both of the inlet pipes off and take a photo of them side-by-side and post it?

Quick Reply: Hooker 1964-67 A-body LS swap system preview thread