Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1969 firebird lq4 swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 09:26 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1969 firebird lq4 swap

Can you guys give me some clear cut answers. I can a hold of a low mileage 02 lq4 cheap. I want to put it in my firebird. Will the all the front brackets and accesories and water pump housing work for this swap? I know you need to change the intake for clearance reasons, but what about the rest. If it does work, will all that stuff work with the car intake and tb? If not, what do I have to go get to get it to work. I know I have to change the oil pan, my main concern is the front accesories. I'm trying to decide if I should just but a ls1, or go with this lq4. Thanks guys.
Old 06-10-2016, 11:51 AM
Teching In

Yes you got most of it. I have a 67 Camaro and it all works if you change the oil pan as you have mentioned. But the stock brackets look like crap in my opinion. Much better reasonably priced aftermarket options exist that really clean up the engine bay, see links below
http://www.ictbillet.com/ls.html?p=2

http://www.billet-speed.com/ls-alter...-camarof-body/

Are you planning on running power steering?

Why do you need to change the intake??? I have an edelbrock proflow with a stock SS hood and all I had to do was trim a small section of bracing from the hood to clear the throttle body.
Old 06-10-2016, 11:57 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Sixleaker
Yes you got most of it. I have a 67 Camaro and it all works if you change the oil pan as you have mentioned. But the stock brackets look like crap in my opinion. Much better reasonably priced aftermarket options exist that really clean up the engine bay, see links below
http://www.ictbillet.com/ls.html?p=2

http://www.billet-speed.com/ls-alter...-camarof-body/

Are you planning on running power steering?

Why do you need to change the intake??? I have an edelbrock proflow with a stock SS hood and all I had to do was trim a small section of bracing from the hood to clear the throttle body.
Thanks for replying Sixleaker. As far as changing intake, that's just what I was told. Not by a 1st gen fbody guy, so hearing that it will fit, from you, makes me happy. I kinda want to run power steering, since the car already is. Is it a pain in the butt to do?
Old 06-10-2016, 12:01 PM
Teching In

Okay, next stupid question. If I change brackets, will the truck accesories still work?
Old 06-10-2016, 12:35 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Baatze
Okay, next stupid question. If I change brackets, will the truck accesories still work?
Yes "IF" you get the ones for a truck set up. the Billet speed bracket I posted a link to comes with additional spacers and bolts that will work with both f-body and truck accessories.

Power steering's really not that big of a deal to run if you want / already have it. the other link to ITC billet had bracket setups for power steering and alternator in almost any configuration of truck & f-body accessories imaginable.

you also can run the stock hose location radiator and just get new hoses an ls swap radiator is not necessary. If im not mistakes you car has basically the exact same radiator hose placement as my Camaro. I can dig up the part numbers of the hoses that I used.

you can check out my set up here

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=773370
Old 06-10-2016, 12:45 PM
Staging Lane

Holley also offers access brackets that will use the truck altenator. I don't recall on the PS pump off hand.
Old 06-10-2016, 01:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the power steering do u use the original 1st gen camaro line or are they custom?
Old 06-10-2016, 01:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Busted67
On the power steering do u use the original 1st gen camaro line or are they custom?
im not sure I ended up ditching my power box for a manual because I couldn't get the clearance I needed for my forward facing manifolds on my turbo setup.
Old 06-10-2016, 01:32 PM
On The Tree

im not sure I ended up ditching my power box for a manual because I couldn't get the clearance I needed for my forward facing manifolds on my turbo setup.
I hear ya,mine were faced up and forward for that reason.

Old 06-10-2016, 01:43 PM
Teching In

very nice set up. kinda of derailing this thread but if your not done with all of your fab yet might I suggest modifying the wiper motor location to under the drivers side fender it is a much cleaner look. you can still use the stock wiper motor just a small rod needs to be welded on to "extend" the arm to the new location.

Old 06-10-2016, 01:53 PM
On The Tree

very nice set up. kinda of derailing this thread but if your not done with all of your fab yet might I suggest modifying the wiper motor location to under the drivers side fender it is a much cleaner look. you can still use the stock wiper motor just a small rod needs to be welded on to "extend" the arm to the new location.

I just painted the firewall or I would.
Old 06-10-2016, 02:33 PM
Teching In

Thanks for all the replies and help. You guys are awesome!
Old 06-16-2016, 06:27 AM
Teching In

I did my swap into my 1969 firebird back in 2012.

I ran BRP motor mounts (circa 2012, I believe they have new ones that move the engine further back) with the Holley oil pan and full truck accessories. This fit beneath the stock non 400 hood.

The power steering was an easy conversion. I used all the factory (1969) hoses and only changed out the BIG NUT (high pressure line) on the back of my old power steering pump and installed it in the newer power steering pump. The old hose then attached with no issues. The low pressure line was hose clamped to the reservoir return line. The power steering pump I used was on a hydrobrake system and has 2 return lines. One from the brakes and one from the steering box.
Old 06-17-2016, 09:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Last time I mokd up a truck engine the truck intake cleared the hood in my 69 camaro or it gave me enough clearance to use it. I may have cut the top pieces that hold the intake cover on but it's been a while. I have the hooker swap kit with the Holley oil pan. Easiest install to buy with no fuss. No need to buy an intake unless you have to and definitely don't buy an ls1 intake, buy an ls6. Use the truck brackets also save money in your swap to get it going then decide later if you want to spend money on looks
Old 06-17-2016, 09:06 AM
Teching In

Thank you guys for all the help. You have taken a lot of my fears out of this. I'm picking up my engine tonight!
Old 06-19-2016, 01:10 PM
Teching In

Wiring question for you guys. First off, are you guys using the original fuse box for your car? Secondly, have any of you done the wiring, or does everyone just buy a ready to go harness? Thanks guys.
Old 06-20-2016, 10:03 AM
Teching In

I got an aftermarket fuse box - I went with a summit kit, but painless etc are all readily available and much better that stock.

Depending on what you are doing for the motor - carp or fuel injection - some guys run a stock pcm and modified stock harness - I am running the holley ECU so I just went with their harness. again many options available depending on what you want to do and how much work you want to have. there are guys who will modify your stock harness, lots of info on the web on how to take the DIY route, megasquirt etc.

I Personally hate wiring so the more plug and play I can get the better. what ever you do I would replace the stock wiring lets face it it's still almost 50 year old wiring
Old 06-20-2016, 04:36 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Baatze
Wiring question for you guys. First off, are you guys using the original fuse box for your car? Secondly, have any of you done the wiring, or does everyone just buy a ready to go harness? Thanks guys.
I did the wiring myself and decides to re-use the factory underhood fuse boxes. I removed anything that wasn't needed and located them underneath the front of the driver's side fender. I also lengthened my harness and located the ECM up under the front passenger side fender. Not really a bad job if you understand electronics and schematics. It got a little scary at first when all the wires were first laid out.
Attached Thumbnails 1969 firebird lq4 swap-img_20160205_124647304.jpg   1969 firebird lq4 swap-img_20151130_190602811.jpg   1969 firebird lq4 swap-img_20151216_194739562.jpg   1969 firebird lq4 swap-img_20160205_124702865.jpg  

Quick Reply: 1969 firebird lq4 swap