Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swapping in a supercharged LSA, fuel delivery requirements?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 02:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Swapping in a supercharged LSA, fuel delivery requirements?

I'm swapping in a '13 LSA out of a ZL1, its totally stock except for a LS9 camshaft and 2.55 upper pulley (2-3 psi more boost), and of course a free-flowing exauhst and CAI. I already have a Tanks-Inc fuel tank in my car with their 255 fuel pump to a C5 style filter/regulator and a -6 hose to the front. Do you think this setup will be sufficient for this motor?

I read somewhere that the stock ZL1s use PWM fuel pumps without any regulators, do I need to convert/replace my setup to this style?
Old 10-05-2017, 05:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't think it will. The regulator will be the choke point. At best you will need a PWM to modulate the fuel pump under boost. You might check with the manufacturer of that pump to see if it will support close to 600 horse power....

You are correct, the ZL1 uses a PWM with unregulated fuel module. The PWM does the regulating of fuel under all conditions to maintain correct PSI at the rails...

Contact Carl with Vaporworx, he has the fuel solution you need. I am running a ZL1 fuel module and Vaporworx PWM in a Rick's tank. It supports my Supercharged LSA with no problems....

T,
Old 10-05-2017, 06:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

U need a boost a pump in the least. I would switch to a return style fuel system with a walbro 450 if it was me. This is what I run on my ly6/whipple 2.9. Works mint 13lbs boost.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:31 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ricks restomod tank, ctsv pump and vaporworx.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 168 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by tomm
i don't think it will. The regulator will be the choke point. At best you will need a pwm to modulate the fuel pump under boost. You might check with the manufacturer of that pump to see if it will support close to 600 horse power....

You are correct, the zl1 uses a pwm with unregulated fuel module. The pwm does the regulating of fuel under all conditions to maintain correct psi at the rails...

Contact carl with vaporworx, he has the fuel solution you need. I am running a zl1 fuel module and vaporworx pwm in a rick's tank. It supports my supercharged lsa with no problems....

T,

Old 10-06-2017, 11:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 590 Likes on 468 Posts

It sounds like the OP opened up a can of worms. You're better off just selling the LSA motor at a loss and just toss in LQ4 or LY6. Wait a minute......... I have a LY6........ even trade? LOL

You spent enough money on a nice SC LS, do it right and get a vaporworx setup and never look back.
Old 10-06-2017, 06:03 PM
On The Tree

I went to the Vaporworx website and everything I found there is related to having a ZL1 fuel pump module in the car, while the pump that I have is a GPA-4 module which is compatible with the Tanks-inc tanks. My understanding is that I need at least a 400 lbs/hr pump that need to be PWM compatible, and then I need another module (PWM module) to control that pump to keep the fuel pressure right at 60 psi. I will send an email to Vaporworx to ask them if they have such a solution.

Any other inputs regarding that subject will be highly appreciated.
Old 10-07-2017, 08:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 168 Likes on 98 Posts

That is correct........You will need the ZL1 pump to operate the system correctly......

Ken
Old 10-08-2017, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

You guys are over thinking this. A simple return style fuel system with a single 380-450 lph pump will supply plenty of fuel. You could use your existing -6 line for the return, -8 feed , decent regulator mounted after the rails. Or you could spend twice as much going PWM . For what? You could prob hang a 450 on your existing hanger and keep the -6 and just add the return, and regulator.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jimmyg
You guys are over thinking this. A simple return style fuel system with a single 380-450 lph pump will supply plenty of fuel. You could use your existing -6 line for the return, -8 feed , decent regulator mounted after the rails. Or you could spend twice as much going PWM . For what? You could prob hang a 450 on your existing hanger and keep the -6 and just add the return, and regulator.
Exactly what I thought. I called Carl @ Vaporwork yesterday and talked about their PWM module, the guy was super helpful and he really knew what he was talking about, by the end of our conversation I realized that I need to spend around 1200-1300$. I'm not saying that its not worth it, its worth every penny as it will upgrade your fuel system to the latest technology (long pump life, less noise, much more reliable, headache-free .. etc), but its just out of my budget.

Since I have already a good walbro 400lbh pump installed in Tanks-inc. tank, I will just get a -8 line and good regulator and use my existing -6 line as a return.

Any recommendation for a good and reliable regulator?? is there any preferred one for forced induction setups?
Old 10-11-2017, 10:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Aeromotive. You can boost reference it to raise fuel pressure under boost .make sure you put reg after the rails. What are u gonna run for ecm/ harness?
Old 10-11-2017, 10:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

+1 On aeromotive. Used many and never had one glitch..
Old 10-17-2017, 01:41 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jimmyg
Aeromotive. You can boost reference it to raise fuel pressure under boost .make sure you put reg after the rails. What are u gonna run for ecm/ harness?
I'm using the stock LSA fuel rail that has no return line, so my only option is to have the regulator before the rail, any issues with that?

I'm using a GM swap harness and a E67 PCM.

Quick Reply: Swapping in a supercharged LSA, fuel delivery requirements?