Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Early LQ4 - 71 Nova Build - Billyfargon

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 12:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It looks like you have a regular -8 female fitting and are trying to connect it to a -8 ORB (o-ring) fitting, these are not compatible. What are you using the o-ring adapter fitting for? Just to get a swivel connection?
Old 05-30-2018, 12:40 PM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MtotheIKEo
It looks like you have a regular -8 female fitting and are trying to connect it to a -8 ORB (o-ring) fitting, these are not compatible. What are you using the o-ring adapter fitting for? Just to get a swivel connection?
I needed to step from -6 to -8 and that's what came up when searching
Old 05-30-2018, 12:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MtotheIKEo
I think I just found it: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fra-497308bl
Old 05-30-2018, 03:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That should do it. The other fitting you have is more commonly used on fuel rails, regulators, etc... as an alternative to an NPT thread.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:43 AM
Launching!

I almost had a disaster with the oil pressure on this motor! Ever since I put the Holley oil pan on I was a little worried about that o-ring for the pick up tube... Glad I checked!

Old 06-07-2018, 09:20 AM
Launching!

Motor is in the car!

Old 06-18-2018, 11:20 AM
Launching!

Got the Holley/ Hooker transmission crossmember installed which means the engine and trans are fully mounted. It was a real pain installing the crossmember when the holes didnt want to line up. But its all good now and super solid.

I also made a list of what needs to be done so I think this will help me be more productive and reach my goal a little more clearly.
Old 06-19-2018, 12:30 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That looks like a nice piece, and MUCH better than the RaptorX crossmember that I used when I had the 4L80e.

Let's see the checklist!
Old 06-20-2018, 10:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Congrats on getting her in! It's hard for me to find the time to watch/listen through all the videos, but it is entertaining when I can. I'm guessing the work is taking you about 2-3 times as long because you are narrating and holding a camera the whole time, plus editing and uploading video after you are done. I do the same kind of thing except with photos and write-up. Thank you for taking the time to all our benefit!

Originally Posted by hookemdevils22
Let's see the checklist!
x2
Old 06-20-2018, 10:27 AM
Launching!

Thanks guys I appreciate the feed back! This is my list so far.. I know I am forgetting stuff but this should get me super close.. and the crazy part is that after going over my list a couple times I could realistically get this done pretty fast if I just buckled down and did it.

The biggest thing is that most things end up taking longer than expected. Crossmember took longer.. fuel system took longer.. computer mounting took longer.. I know things like the radiator and fan will take longer cause I need to modify mounts.. But even with this in mind I should be driving this car not too long from now.. (crossing fingers)
Old 06-25-2018, 11:52 AM
Launching!

Hey guys, I started working on routing my trans cooling lines. Can you take a look at this video starting around the 2:10 mark and let me know what you think about routing.. it also came to me this morning.. what about running the lines through the frame on this side? Is that possible?

Old 06-25-2018, 02:18 PM
TECH Addict

I had a similar debate about how to run my transmission coolant lines. Hardlines along the edge of the pan rail would most closely resemble a factory system, but there is very limited space in that area and it's hard to mock up and install hardlines there after everything is already in the car. Ultimately I went with flexible -6 hoses like you.I routed them along the top of the frame and then on the outside of the frame between the control arms. This way I was able to keep them far from the headers, but I had to be very careful to make sure they cleared the suspension and wheels/tires. It's worked out for me so far. Here are some photos:

There is more info on how I did this, including the types of hose retainers I used, in this post: https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...l#post19442524
Old 06-25-2018, 03:02 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by -TheBandit-
I had a similar debate about how to run my transmission coolant lines. Hardlines along the edge of the pan rail would most closely resemble a factory system, but there is very limited space in that area and it's hard to mock up and install hardlines there after everything is already in the car. Ultimately I went with flexible -6 hoses like you.I routed them along the top of the frame and then on the outside of the frame between the control arms. This way I was able to keep them far from the headers, but I had to be very careful to make sure they cleared the suspension and wheels/tires. It's worked out for me so far. Here are some photos:

There is more info on how I did this, including the types of hose retainers I used, in this post: https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...l#post19442524
Thanks for the advice! I didn't think about going on the outside of the A-arm..that looks to be the ticket!
Old 06-25-2018, 10:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 196 Likes on 142 Posts

That piece you're using to hold the radiator in, if you can find one out of a V8 car, it won't have that big hump in the middle of it where the 6 cylinder fan used to be. Then you can use the holes in it that the original (V8) fan shroud bolted to, to bolt your electric fan up to it. At least that's what I did, but I used a junkyard fan. Should be similar though I would think.
Old 06-25-2018, 10:11 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow that upper radiator support/hold down is wild; I never realized the 6cyl was so different. I have one from a V8 car if you want it.

I also ran soft lines when I had the auto. Mine went up the inner fender, but I like Bandito’s much better.
Old 06-26-2018, 09:36 AM
Launching!

I didn't realize my support had such a big hump.. now I'm all self conscious! haha... um..When I get home tonight I will take a better look and see if I feel like switching.. Maybe it will match up ok with the air intake coming towards it. It also has some holes for mounting fan on it too.. if what I am seeing is what you are talking about. Here is a better view:

I need to pull the tape off of the radiator and see how the rubber bushings seat.

Thanks @hookemdevils22 I will get back at you if I decide to switch. I appreciate the offer!
Old 07-02-2018, 10:11 AM
Launching!

Got my transmission cooling lines finished. Thanks Bandit for the tips!!

Then I started messing around with my shift linkage from shiftworks so I can keep the column shift. Its loosely bolted in but I am going to need to put some bend in the rod to clear the sheet metal.

Also got some smaller things done like passenger side header, plugs, wires, dipstick.

Got some fittings on order to make the fuel lines that go from the bulkhead I made to the fuel rails so that should be here this week and also got the drive shaft ordered but that is going to take a little while.

Oh.. and my Hooker 3" exhaust came in!

Old 07-09-2018, 11:00 AM
Launching!

Through some research on here I found a radiator hose I can make work with the correct shape. Its the right size diameter for the radiator side but its too large for the water pump side. What are you guys doing to make these work? Just cinching them tight anyway?

Old 07-09-2018, 05:54 PM
TECH Addict

Trans lines look great!

I have seen coolant hoses work by compressing them with the hose clamp, but long term the hose may harden and crack/split. Another way is to sleeve the nipple with another piece of hose that's the correct ID, then put the one over it. Personally I wouldn't do either unless I was in a pinch. It would be best to use a hose that has the right ID. It may take a trip to the autoparts store and some digging - there are quite a few hoses with step up/down inlet/outlet sizes.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:55 AM
Launching!

More stuff getting knocked off the list:

Harness hole in firewall drilled, harness tucked through and behind intake, harness fed through firewall, harness tucked to trans, finished fuel lines.. trying to work on this thing a little bit every day or every other day for at least 30-60 minutes.

Fuel line routing and trans dipstick:

Harness routed behind fuel lines then back behind head towards firewall:

Hole in firewall for harness, Its temporarily lined for protection until its all connected then I will add grommet.

And of course video link for this work:

Quick Reply: Early LQ4 - 71 Nova Build - Billyfargon