Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What crossmember/mounts for 4l60e/5.3 nova 70

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2019, 01:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What crossmember/mounts for 4l60e/5.3 nova 70

Just curious to know what combo you guys have used when it comes to the crossmember and engine mounts on a 5.3/4l60E swap? Ive read the official x-body thread but cant seem to find anything on the crossmembers. I do not have a drive shaft in the car and am pretty decent with my welder, so even if it comes to building my own i can do that. i just need guidance on what kit to buy and what engine mounts were used with this crossmember kit?
Old 07-30-2019, 02:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

One option for you is the Hooker Blackheart LS swap 12618HKR engine mounting brackets and 12625HKR transmission crossmember. You can find them both on the Holley website...If you have any questions about them, let me know here and I'll be glad to answer them for you.
Old 07-30-2019, 02:14 PM
Teching In

Have you or do you know anybody that has used this set up on a 68-72 Nova?? Will i need to do any mods?? or will it be direct fit? Sorry for the questions, just trying to prepare myself.. lol
Old 07-30-2019, 02:23 PM
Teching In

and im reading that i might have to buy clamshells of a 72 & up? or does it bolt directly to the mounts on the front cross member?
Old 07-30-2019, 02:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Titogarcia05
Have you or do you know anybody that has used this set up on a 68-72 Nova?? Will i need to do any mods?? or will it be direct fit? Sorry for the questions, just trying to prepare myself.. lol
Yes, I have a comprehensive level of experience with these parts as I developed that LS swap system and most of the others that Holley sells under the Hooker Blackheart brand. You won't have to do any modifications to the car as long as it is stock and you aren't trying to use 1/2 height body mounts or a 4th-gen F-body oil pan or accessory drive set-up. The mounting components of the Hooker Blackheart system places the engine lower in the subframe than other swap mounts do for better functional geometry, so the use of a Holley 302-2 or 302-3 oil pan is required to install the engine. Installation of a 4th-gen F-body alternator or factory 4th-gen F-body low-mounted A/C compressor would require notching of the stock subframe. Holley and other aftermarket companies offer accessory drive relocation brackets that will allow you to install your accessories without having to notch the subframe.
Old 07-30-2019, 02:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Titogarcia05
and im reading that i might have to buy clamshells of a 72 & up? or does it bolt directly to the mounts on the front cross member?
Yes, the Hooker Blackheart engine mounting brackets delete the factory frame stands from the mounting equation and convert the car to use the clamshell mounts of the 1972-up GM cars, which is functionally a better mount than the early GM motor mounts. The combined use of the early style mounts with swap plates and the factory frame stands forces the user to accept the discrete engine height that results from their usage. The Hooker Blackheart engine mounting brackets removes that constraint entirely.
Old 07-30-2019, 02:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Toddoky
Yes, the Hooker Blackheart engine mounting brackets delete the factory frame stands from the mounting equation and convert the car to use the clamshell mounts of the 1972-up GM cars, which is functionally a better mount than the early GM motor mounts. The combined use of the early style mounts with swap plates and the factory frame stands forces the user to accept the discrete engine height that results from their usage. The Hooker Blackheart engine mounting brackets removes that constraint entirely.
Well the good news is that i am in the proccess of installing the 302-3 holley oil pan already. Sounds like this is the route i will be taking then, thank you so much! By the way, can you post a part # for the clam shells i will need please??
Old 07-30-2019, 02:48 PM
TECH Junkie

The Holley heavy duty clamshell cages are part number 71221004HKR and the poly inserts that go in them are part number 71221014HKR (black), or 71221015HKR (red). You can also purchase stock replacement rubber mounts at your local auto parts store under the common 2292 part number. Many of the stock replacement rubber mounts I've seen over the last few years are of questionable quality (i.e. thin gauge material used to stamp the cages and rubber that falls apart and de-bonds from the cages quickly), so keep that in mind if you go the auto parts store route for your engine mounts.
The following users liked this post:
Titogarcia05 (07-30-2019)