Sponsored by:

L92 into 911 swap questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2019, 03:01 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default L92 into 911 swap questions

Hi,

I am planning to swap an LS into a 1999 Porsche 911. The Escalade L92 seems very interesting, cheap and plenty of power. How ever "de-trucking" it might be a lot of work and cost some money:
Would the LS1 be easier? (same cost)

Some questions:
1. I can't use the truck intake as it is to high. What is the "shortest" intake? Any aftermarket intake that is "shorter" than LS3 or L76 intake?

2. Why do people want to remove the VVT? Doesn't that add more power?

3. Is the L92 longer than LS3 because the accessories are "sticking" out? How hard is it to swap to LS3 accessories to make the package smaller?

4. My car has cable throttle, would be nice to reuse that. Any problems in getting a cable TB to work with the L92?

5. Would it be a problem to run manual transmission with the L92 ECU? Does it require to talk to the transmission?

Thanks
Old 11-04-2019, 07:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,110 Likes on 2,425 Posts

Originally Posted by turbogrill
Hi,

I am planning to swap an LS into a 1999 Porsche 911. The Escalade L92 seems very interesting, cheap and plenty of power. How ever "de-trucking" it might be a lot of work and cost some money:
Would the LS1 be easier? (same cost)

Some questions:
1. I can't use the truck intake as it is to high. What is the "shortest" intake? Any aftermarket intake that is "shorter" than LS3 or L76 intake?

2. Why do people want to remove the VVT? Doesn't that add more power?

3. Is the L92 longer than LS3 because the accessories are "sticking" out? How hard is it to swap to LS3 accessories to make the package smaller?

4. My car has cable throttle, would be nice to reuse that. Any problems in getting a cable TB to work with the L92?

5. Would it be a problem to run manual transmission with the L92 ECU? Does it require to talk to the transmission?

Thanks
1. LS3 is likely your best bet. It's pretty low profile
2. If you want to run more cam, the VVT must be limited in timing "travel" to avoid PTV hassles.
3. The L92 is longer than a Corvette LS3, but the same as a Camaro LS3. Camaro uses truck accessory spacing.
4. If you desire cable throttle, you will not be using the L92 ECU. It can only do drive by wire.
5. You might want to use a Holley Terminator X ECU if you want to use cable throttle and manual tranny, as it is far more easily tuned than the OEM unit.

Last edited by G Atsma; 11-04-2019 at 09:19 PM.
Old 11-04-2019, 08:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 464 Likes on 350 Posts

To add to the previous post, you won’t find a much lower manifold than the LS3. VVT (variable valve timing) shifts the cam timing on the fly to allow for more torque on the bottom while preserving a bit of top end power - nice for a heavy SUV. A lot of swappers disable it and just use the cam they want. The L92 and LS3 engines are basically the same block - same size. It’s the accessory packages that are different. You’ll need a Corvette balancer and accessories - they’re closest to the block. Urge you to dump your cable and use DBW...just mount electronic pedal in the car. LS3 is your friend. I used an 08 Corvette manual trans ecu and a new crate LS3. Flawless drivability - perfect start first turn of the key.

Last edited by Michael Yount; 11-05-2019 at 04:51 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Michael Yount:
G Atsma (11-04-2019), kpeters59 (11-05-2019)
Old 11-05-2019, 09:31 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by G Atsma
1. LS3 is likely your best bet. It's pretty low profile
2. If you want to run more cam, the VVT must be limited in timing "travel" to avoid PTV hassles.
3. The L92 is longer than a Corvette LS3, but the same as a Camaro LS3. Camaro uses truck accessory spacing.
4. If you desire cable throttle, you will not be using the L92 ECU. It can only do drive by wire.
5. You might want to use a Holley Terminator X ECU if you want to use cable throttle and manual tranny, as it is far more easily tuned than the OEM unit.
Originally Posted by Michael Yount
To add to the previous post, you won’t find a much lower manifold than the LS3. VVT (variable valve timing) shifts the cam timing on the fly to allow for more torque on the bottom while preserving a bit of top end power - nice for a heavy SUV. A lot of swappers disable it and just use the cam they want. The L92 and LS3 engines are basically the same block - same size. It’s the accessory packages that are different. You’ll need a Corvette balancer and accessories - they’re closest to the block. Urge you to dump your cable and use DBW...just mount electronic pedal in the car. LS3 is your friend. I used an 08 Corvette manual trans ecu and a new crate LS3. Flawless drivability - perfect start first turn of the key.
Thanks!

There is a kit to use DBW for 996s so it makes it easier, will ditch the cable.

What about emissions and a VVT deleted L92?

I am leaning more towards a LS3 or LS2 drop out, makes it easier since it comes with everything.

Crate engine is outside my budget but would be the best I guess?
Old 11-05-2019, 09:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks!

There is a kit to use DBW for 996s so it makes it easier, will ditch the cable.

What about emissions and a VVT deleted L92?

I am leaning more towards a LS3 or LS2 drop out, makes it easier since it comes with everything.

Crate engine is outside my budget but would be the best I guess?
Which state do you live in (mine is Confusion... aka Commiefornia..) ? VVT isn't so much about emissions as more flexible power curve.
You don't need a crate engine. Just make sure you find a donor vehicle with EVERYTHING needed associated with the engine. Buying the whole vehicle would likely be cheaper than a crate engine.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:51 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Which state do you live in (mine is Confusion... aka Commiefornia..) ? VVT isn't so much about emissions as more flexible power curve.
You don't need a crate engine. Just make sure you find a donor vehicle with EVERYTHING needed associated with the engine. Buying the whole vehicle would likely be cheaper than a crate engine.

So it's either buying a L92 and "converting" to Corvette LS3. That is correct belt spacing, correct intake, correct waterpump and what not. The kit I use is designed for corvette engines.
Or I could buy an LS3 directly.

What about LS2? They seem to be way cheaper than LS3.

I live in Texas, they only do the ODB Monitor readyness. So it's self checking from the engine and you need cats and all the emission stuff. I guess I also need to incorporate the cats.
Old 11-05-2019, 11:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

LS2 would fit if it came out of a Vette.
Old 11-07-2019, 08:29 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm pretty sure you have to use vette or fbody accesories, the truck and camaro ones are too wide. You would be cutting an additional couple inches out of the already butchered rear deck!
Old 11-08-2019, 09:48 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by txstormtrooper
i'm pretty sure you have to use vette or fbody accesories, the truck and camaro ones are too wide. You would be cutting an additional couple inches out of the already butchered rear deck!
Vette is the "shortest" one right? What about CTS-V they have the same?
Old 11-08-2019, 10:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Vette is the "shortest" one right? What about CTS-V they have the same?
Right. IF the CTS-V is the same spacing you should be good, BUT accessory location might be different.

Quick Reply: L92 into 911 swap questions