Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1990 Mustang w/ LS1/T56

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2019, 09:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 1990 Mustang w/ LS1/T56

Well after being a member here for almost 10 years I finally get to begin my first LS swap. For a few years I wanted a notch mustang with an IRS and LS/T56 swap.
The plan is to have a nice cruiser, that handles like it's on rails, enough power to keep my happy...for now, have A/C, good radio, ultimately take it on the Power Tour in 2020 etc..
Call it Pro-touring ish.Ish mainly due to the paint job being last on the list, and even then I just want driver quality, this is in no way a show or a drag car.

The car:
A pretty basic Foxbody, I'm the third owner and the last owner let it sit for 10 years.

One of the first days of owning it I took it to Autozone to grab basic tune up things and the brakes locked down on me on the way home, so I bought new calipers for it and while bleeding the brakes I learned that while working on this car I would I have two nemesis' 30-year-old parts, and the previous owner worked on it. While bleeding the rear drums I found out the bleed screw was cross threaded and would not go back in correctly and now leaked brake fluid every time the brakes were pushed. So I decided to start looking for a rear disk setup and stumbled on an IRS that had all poly bushings, 4:10s, MM adjustable tie rods, and the heavy-duty cross member.

Naturally, that snowballed into doing the rest of the 5-lug swap and cobra brakes on the front:

New vs. Old front brakes:

Old solid axle out:

The front of the subframe bolts right up, and the rear will bolt in but first you have to mount the bracket to the frame of the car, which requires a few new holes to be drilled. I decided to cut a access hole in the trunk pan in order to make a nut plate, which I can weld the nuts to, then weld that to the frame of the car. So I could weld the pan back together and not worry about the nuts turning if I ever had to take the bracket off for some reason.

Which I found the only rust on the car at this time, just a little in the spare tire area.

Just a little surface build up..fixed.

After about 5 months working on it here and there (we had a newborn roughly a month after I bought the car) I finished the IRS swap:

Front 5 lug complete:

The car decided for itself it deserved a better power plant:

Enter Wrecked Trans Am and Speed Engineering swap kit.

Cleaned up the engine bay and installed the K member :

Then in a single day, dropped the LS1/T56 from the Trans Am, dropped the motor in the notch, and reinstalled the T/A k member:

Roughly that is where I am currently, will be updating as we move along.

Last edited by samuel642000; 11-25-2019 at 10:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
HILROD (12-06-2019)
Old 11-25-2019, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Looking Good, keep us posted
Old 11-26-2019, 09:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Very nice! Should be a really nice package.

What Bullitt wheels did you go with on the IRS? Are those the deeper offset S197 fitment, or the SN95 type?
Old 11-26-2019, 11:35 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Engine_HP
Looking Good, keep us posted
Thanks man, more to come.

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
Very nice! Should be a really nice package.

What Bullitt wheels did you go with on the IRS? Are those the deeper offset S197 fitment, or the SN95 type?
Appreciate it! They are just factory SN95 type Bullitts, planning on getting the deeper style with wider meats eventually, or change the wheel selection completely in the future when I am "done"
Old 11-26-2019, 11:42 PM
Staging Lane

Got a little garage time in throughout the day today and was installing the Modern Driveline hydraulic clutch conversion:

And converted the throw outs to have an AN-4 fitting instead of the pushlock, fortunatly I enjoy building rifles also which meant I had a punch kit, for the roll pin, nearby.

Decided to end there for the day.
Old 11-27-2019, 10:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 226 Likes on 179 Posts

An Fbody radiator and fans work well if you’re on a budget. A Griffin Foxbody LS conversion with Lincoln Mark VIII fan is a real nice way to go for not much more money.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...l#post20148958

Last edited by 64post; 11-27-2019 at 10:22 AM.
Old 11-27-2019, 02:07 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 64post
An Fbody radiator and fans work well if you’re on a budget. A Griffin Foxbody LS conversion with Lincoln Mark VIII fan is a real nice way to go for not much more money.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...l#post20148958
yep, using as much from the donor as possible. it is a "budget" build but I'll spend a little extra money up front to only have to do it once.
Old 11-27-2019, 02:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,153 Likes on 2,460 Posts

Originally Posted by samuel642000
yep, using as much from the donor as possible. it is a "budget" build but I'll spend a little extra money up front to only have to do it once.
Good thinking! Better to "spend well" once, than 2 or more times later! Best of times to you, and have a good Thanksgiving!
Old 11-28-2019, 08:47 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Good thinking! Better to "spend well" once, than 2 or more times later! Best of times to you, and have a good Thanksgiving!
That's my thinking, ready to get this one on the road again, same to you also, Happy Thanksgiving!

Got the Stiffler's crossmember installed:

Started on rewrapping the wiring harness and decided to bang out the heater core and evaporator while I was in the area:

I'd say it was defiantly time

:
Old 11-28-2019, 10:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,153 Likes on 2,460 Posts

Nice crossmember! Simple elegance...
Yeah neither the heater core nor evaporator looking reusable at this point...
Old 12-03-2019, 11:41 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Nice crossmember! Simple elegance...
Yeah neither the heater core nor evaporator looking reusable at this point...
The Stifflers is a nice piece, I will be going back to them for more suspension items in the future.

Started putting a few items that have been showing up lately,
Knock sensors seemed to have been at the end of their life also, so I ordered new Ac Delco sensors and a new harness, seeing as the orginal was cut in half on a poor intake install...

New Aeromotive 340 stealth pump;

Getting ready to build the fuel system next while waiting on my engine harness.
The following users liked this post:
HILROD (12-04-2019)
Old 12-04-2019, 09:31 PM
Staging Lane

Maaaaaaiiiiiiiillllllll Callllllllll......

Got quite a few pieces of the puzzle in today, have a few more orders that are already in route and that should give me all the "big" buys to get this thing going. Minus the drive shaft and a tune, which will be last.

Went with a BP Automotive harness for this car mainly due to a couple of things, they include a few options that other companies charge an up charge fee for, they were quick to respond to my questions and didn't make it seem as if it was an inconvenience to do so, the braided loom was cheaper here than all others and they installed it for you instead of just supply the loom, lastly,... the had the biggest percentage off on black Friday lol
About the only complaint I have, which may be my fault if I overlooked it, is that the oil pressure wiring needed to be requested in order for it to be incorporated. Not a major deal and the way it read in the instructions is it wouldn't have been a charge to do so, but I didn't see it listed as needing to be requested on the ordering page. Ah well I'll figure it out.
Ordered black Friday, they added a couple customs for me like the Cruise Control wiring and the loom, and it arrived today, 5 days later.

Looks really good, and clear instructions are included with it.

Next up the majority of my fuel system has shown up, minus 2 fuel rail lines.
Tentative plan is similar to this below:

Might be a little overboard for the current setup but it should allow room to grow in the future.

Now remember what I said about one of my greatest challenges with this car is the previous owner worked on it? It appears that the lower radiator support is a great location to place a jack on this car....
(Ignore the mess, a lot of jumping back and forth and doing what I can at the time)

Ordered Motion Raceworks lower radiator support which is a nice piece have only one minor complaint is that it didn't include hardware(has the ability to be mounted with hardware or welded) but again nothing major can grab that on my way home from work one day. There's also a hint of what is in the future plans for this car in this pic...

Lastly, received my Holley fuel rails and Lokar throttle cable:

Threw those on already:

That's about the end of the parts drop off for the day, current plan of attack is to finish the interior rewire/wire clean up, and try to finish the wiring and get it tucked away and closed out. Then enlarge the hole for the shifter of the T56 to come through the floorboard, get that squared away and on to the fuel system.
Old 12-05-2019, 07:17 AM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Cool build.
Old 12-05-2019, 07:11 PM
Staging Lane

Trunk is done... ish. Plan to build the floor up in the future so the full size spare will be hidden and have a flat floor.
Don't mind the battery tender.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

May I ask what you paid for the car?

Thanks.
Old 12-08-2019, 02:07 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Stampede4ever
May I ask what you paid for the car?

Thanks.
under 2k a couple years ago.
Old 12-09-2019, 03:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have any pictures of how the master cylinder connects to the clutch pedal?
How do you plan to run the a/c system?
I have the exact same car mine is an 91 but same color and everything. I also will be running a 5.3 with a t56.
Old 12-10-2019, 06:30 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 02b4ccamaro
Do you have any pictures of how the master cylinder connects to the clutch pedal?
How do you plan to run the a/c system?
I have the exact same car mine is an 91 but same color and everything. I also will be running a 5.3 with a t56.
It's a little hard to decipher through pictures (or at least for me it was) but here's a link to an article that helped me decide to buy this option. I didn't really want the pull style that Mcleod offers, personal preference I guess.
http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-t...r-fox-mustangs

For the A/C I plan to utilize TxFireman1972's thread, like I have quite a few times already in my build. There is a lot of good info in here:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...ec-3550-a.html

Last edited by samuel642000; 12-10-2019 at 06:43 AM.
Old 12-10-2019, 06:40 AM
Staging Lane

I started hooking up the power steering lines and the pressure reduction kit by Scram Speed, and long story short I should have made my own. The pressure line is quite a bit too short, or so it appears in my first two attempts to install it, sent them a couple messages so far hopefully they can send me another or at least respond to tell me to F.O.
Anywho, the return line fit fine, the pressure reduction went in without much fanfare.

I searched for this info for quite a while so hopefully someone else can use it, shows the pressure stock GM pumps putout:

Remove the fitting for the line to screw into:

Remove the valve;

I found using vice grips worked the best for me to hold the valve while you unscrew the bolt(which is an 11mm) don't drop anything out of the inside, install your shims and reassemble.

Old 12-10-2019, 10:57 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 408GT
Cool build.
Thanks man!

Quick Reply: 1990 Mustang w/ LS1/T56