Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'92 S10 Lq4/Holley Terminator X Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2020, 10:55 AM
On The Tree

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Default '92 S10 Lq4/Holley Terminator X Won't Start

I've gotten to the point in my swap where it's time to fire the truck up...only to find out it won't start. It cranks and cranks, and while the Terminator X handheld shows cranking RPM (~100), it also shows the crank and cam sensors are both sending a signal to the ECU thanks to the diagnostic lights on the Terminator X ECU itself. The only thing I can get it to do is an occasional backfire through the throttle body (I've also noticed several of the intake runners feel warm to the touch after attempting to start). I've verified I've got spark from all eight coils thanks to a timing light. The issue is fuel delivery, and I am honestly not sure where to go from here. The injectors are stock Lq4 units wired up through the Terminator X, and my fuel system is all new, with a Walbro 255 in the tank, Corvette regulator, and Holley Sniper fuel rails with a single crossover. I've attached a picture of my fuel setup under the hood. From reading the Terminator X instructions, they recommend a return style fuel system that has feed and return lines fed all the way up to the fuel rails. Is it possible my setup can't provide enough volume?

Additionally, how can I verify the injectors are firing while cranking? I have searched and people say you can hear them, but I can't tell over the cranking of the engine.

I've re-setup the Terminator X several times ensuring all the parameters are correct (including TPS autoset), and save for just that occasional backfire, I get no life at all out of the engine. I am worried I'm going to trash a bearing or two if I keep cranking on it without it building up oil pressure.

I've attached a datalog from the Terminator X during a start attempt, if anyone is willing to take a look and see if they see anything glaring. Here's the dropbox link to the log file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vrqgkvlrsl...1-0001.dl?dl=0

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!!
Old 05-17-2020, 03:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Try a noid light to check for injector pulse at the injector plugs. After that maybe introduce fuel or brakeclean or the like, to see if it fires. Injectors have been known to stick after sitting for a long time.
Old 05-17-2020, 05:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 593 Likes on 471 Posts

Yes try a mood light at the injectors
make sure you have the FPR hooked up correctly. My swap had the fuel pump wired backwards inside the tank. Ricks Tanks messed up, so anybody can
Old 05-17-2020, 06:15 PM
On The Tree

I’ll give these a shot! Thanks guys. I shall report back.
Old 05-18-2020, 04:39 AM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would try using the light as suggested.or a little starting fluid to see if it fires. If so, be sure to check how you plumbed the Corvette regulator, a lot of guys dont realise that it's the opposite of what you would expect.
Old 05-18-2020, 09:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by lemans1
I would try using the light as suggested.or a little starting fluid to see if it fires. If so, be sure to check how you plumbed the Corvette regulator, a lot of guys dont realise that it's the opposite of what you would expect.
The inlet on the Corvette regulator is the offset fitting and the return is the center fitting.

Andrew
Old 05-19-2020, 08:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

I also see a vacuum leak from the fitting on the driver's side of the manifold. What MAP sensor are you using? Is it configured properly in the software?

Andrew
Old 05-19-2020, 09:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 593 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
The inlet on the Corvette regulator is the offset fitting and the return is the center fitting.

Andrew
this got me too
Old 05-19-2020, 12:00 PM
On The Tree

I've got the regulator setup right, just checked again. Also, the vacuum fitting is capped now, the photo was taken before I had capped it off. I've got some new Accel 53 lb injectors on the way, as this motor is out of a truck that was on fire and the stock injectors that are in it suffered some heat damage on their exterior which I am sure is a contributor to the issues I'm having. Not to mention with the sloppy stage 2 cam I'm running, I needed more injector anyway.

As soon as they show up Thursday I'll get them in and update!
Old 05-19-2020, 12:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
I also see a vacuum leak from the fitting on the driver's side of the manifold. What MAP sensor are you using? Is it configured properly in the software?

Andrew
I'm running new AC Delco 1bar MAP sensor PN: 12614970. There's an option in the Terminator X setup for OEM 1 bar, and that's what I've selected. The other options are for 2.5 bar boost setups.
Old 05-19-2020, 05:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by draab2006
I'm running new AC Delco 1bar MAP sensor PN: 12614970. There's an option in the Terminator X setup for OEM 1 bar, and that's what I've selected. The other options are for 2.5 bar boost setups.
Just make sure you don't select the internal MAP and then not run a hose to it...LOL

Andrew
Old 05-21-2020, 01:45 PM
On The Tree

Got the new injectors in, new tune file with the injector parameters, and.....still nothing. What gives? The engine just cranks and cranks with an occasional back fire and no other attempt to start. Fuel pressure regulator is plumbed correctly, MAP sensor is setup correctly, I have spark verified with a timing light, however I tried spraying some starting fluid into the throttle body and it still would not fire. Is there anything else I can try at this point? It is almost acting like the firing order is incorrect, despite the "Odd" coil pack connector being connected on the drivers side, and "Even" on the passenger side.

Last edited by draab2006; 05-21-2020 at 01:53 PM.
Old 05-21-2020, 03:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Did you do a TPS autoset? Send me a PM and I'll send you my email address. You can send me your tune.

Andrew
Old 05-21-2020, 10:24 PM
On The Tree

Thanks to Andrew’s help, I’ve gotten the truck started. Turned out I had the coil harnesses reversed. I had them the way I did because I assumed when I had them apart for cleaning the way they went back together based off of how the wires were “bent” from the factory. Needless to say absentmindedly I didn’t verify and they were both 180 degrees out. For anyone who may have this issue, check your coil pack harnesses to make sure they’re hooked up right! I used this quick chart to verify

The following 2 users liked this post by draab2006:
Homer_Simpson (12-26-2021), Project GatTagO (05-22-2020)

Quick Reply: '92 S10 Lq4/Holley Terminator X Won't Start