Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project "hole in the head." LS376/480 into my 1991 Fox Body Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2021, 09:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 171 Likes on 149 Posts

Fowler, his and hers coupes? I like it! I hope you do start a thread for your builds. I like seeing other peoples' builds as it gives more information, options and instructions for how to do things. It can keep a car builder from making mistakes that other builders have made in the past. A lot to be gained by viewing similar builds with nothing to lose.

I completely understand why you don't want to spend any of your "off" time out in a hot garage. I'm working in an air conditioned environment and I don't like spending "off" time outside in the Texas summer heat.
Old 12-05-2021, 09:14 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dannyual777
Fowler, his and hers coupes? I like it! I hope you do start a thread for your builds. I like seeing other peoples' builds as it gives more information, options and instructions for how to do things. It can keep a car builder from making mistakes that other builders have made in the past. A lot to be gained by viewing similar builds with nothing to lose.

I completely understand why you don't want to spend any of your "off" time out in a hot garage. I'm working in an air conditioned environment and I don't like spending "off" time outside in the Texas summer heat.
Been a while since I have been on here, I hope you're still making progress! Between work being crazy busy and the wife and kids I don't get to mess with these cars very often. Finishing up a 6.0 swap in the wife's 93 coupe. Once I get it running I'll tear it back apart to start the actual build. My white 89 will get a 1st get SBC setup that I had in my 92 hatch a few years back. I have a lot of cleaning up to do but they're coming along. My goal is to have 1 car running for the yearly foxbody meet-up that the North Texas group puts on around May.

Old 12-05-2021, 08:12 PM
TECH Resident

Awesome! Thanks for posting an update, Fowler. Two Fox coupe projects is going to keep you busy, for sure!

Since the weather has cooled in the Houston area, I've been back to work on my coupe. I got some holes welded up in my trunk floor today. The previous owner had drilled a number of small holes trying to trunk mount a battery. My new Taylor trunk mount battery box should be here at the end of this coming week and I'll properly mount it.

After I've made a good bit of progress, I'm going to do what I did almost a year ago and start posting pictures and descriptions.

Last edited by dannyual777; 12-05-2021 at 08:26 PM.
Old 11-26-2023, 06:30 AM
TECH Resident

IT LIVES! IT LIVES! IT LIVES!!!!!!
This is my first update to this thread in well over two years. After a project that has spanned one week shy of 5 years, I started and drove this car for the first time yesterday, 11/25/2023!

Please excuse my high tech, custom hood prop rod.

The following users liked this post:
Project GatTagO (11-26-2023)
Old 11-26-2023, 06:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 908 Posts

IT LIVES! IT LIVES! IT LIVES!!!!!!
This is my first update to this thread in well over two years. After a project that has spanned one week shy of 5 years, I started and drove this car for the first time yesterday, 11/25/2023!

Please excuse my high tech, custom hood prop rod.
First start of my Holley Dominator controlled LS376/480
Danny,

She sounds great and thanks for allowing me to share that moment with you. The first engine start is always special and it's great when it goes as smoothly as yours did.

Andrew
Old 11-26-2023, 07:08 AM
TECH Resident

Good early Sunday morning, Andrew, You're very welcome! You beat me to my next post!

My tuner, Andrew, was on the phone with me and he was "remoted" into my Windows laptop connected to my Holley ECU as we started the car for the first time yesterday. There were no leaks, parts banging together, strange sounds or strange vibrations. We ran the engine up to temperature and noticed that my DCC controlled, Lincoln MVIII electric fan's temperature probe was inserted into the wrong area of the aluminum radiator allowing the engine to reach 218 degrees.

After Andrew and I got off the phone, I went ahead and connected the fan's AC "on" wire to 12v which forced the fan on at all times. Temps were consistent at 199-201 degrees. It was time for a test drive and my wife wasn't going to miss that first drive in this car. We motored through the neighborhood and all was well so I took the car out on the open road. The engine ran great! The transmission shifted great. There were no strange noises or banging of parts under the car. The only thing that wasn't right is that my power steering is acting strange. I'm thinking that it may have air in the system since I rebuilt the OEM Ford power steering pump about 2 years ago The rack and pinion came out of a 2000 Mustang so that could be the cause.

Anyway, we returned home uneventfully. My teenage daughter who took the video of the startup had a horse riding lesson so we decided to take the coupe. I had no time to even remove my tape marks on my car and I really didn't care!

The car ran great with the temperature staying right at 200 degrees. It was about a 25 mile round trip and my wife had her hands covering her ears for about half the time due to the loud Hooker exhaust that dumps before the rear axle. That'll be addressed over the winter. I do already have a set of Pypes polished stainless steel tailpipes that clear my Maximum Motorsports' panhard bar. I don't think my wife is getting back into the car until the Pypes tailpipes are installed.
Project GatTagO (11-26-2023)
Old 11-26-2023, 07:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Danny,

While you're doing the tailpipes, may as well go all in...

https://ridetech.com/product/1979-19...ension-system/

Andrew
Old 11-26-2023, 07:16 AM
TECH Resident

I did make it to our local car get together last night. With the sound of that car, there were people staring at me as I pulled up! There were some Ford guys who were not happy about my LS3 in the Mustang. In fact, one of them had looked under my car and he informed me that I had forgotten to remove the foam protection wrapped around my Hooker mufflers. DOH!!!!!!! I was quite embarrassed!

I will go back in time to mid 2021 and update this thread with all of the progress that led up to yesterday. I took pictures all along the way and I'll post it all here over the coming days/weeks.
Old 11-26-2023, 07:22 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Danny,

While you're doing the tailpipes, may as well go all in...

https://ridetech.com/product/1979-19...ension-system/

Andrew

Oh boy!!! Hmmm. I'm not sure those Pypes tailpipes will clear that!
Old 11-26-2023, 07:41 PM
TECH Resident

I'm going to post the build from where I pretty much left off way back in post #274 on 3/24/2021.

I did buy the Aeromotive 340 pump and hanger assembly. It was the hanger that I wanted.

I felt the pump was too big for the Wix regulator/filter that I was going to use for the fuel system.

I felt that the 340 pump would overwhelm that Wix regulator/filter so I purchased a Deatschwerks 200 pump.

According to the research that I did, this pump should be plenty for my LS376/480. Michael Yount in post #275 had mentioned that he used a DW300 pump.
Old 11-26-2023, 08:05 PM
TECH Resident

You can see the two pumps here. It's pretty easy to wire and plumb this up when you already have Metri Pack connectors/terminals and the proper crimp tools along with Oetiker clamps and the proper crimp tool.

Here the pump assembly is installed in my new gas tank..You can see the Fragola AN fittings that I used for the fuel feed and the fuel return hoses.

Old 11-26-2023, 09:20 PM
TECH Resident

Continuing with the fuel plumbing, I decided to use stainless steel braided hose. I'd work with old school rubber lined SS hose in the past and I knew that wasn't going to work with 10% ethanol gasoline. It was time to get some experience with teflon lined SS hose. I used Fragola brand 6AN hose.

I found that electrical cable cutters worked well to cleanly cut this teflon lined SS hose

Prior to this, I'd never worked with teflon SS lined hose. The hose ends assembly is different.

I assembled two hoses. One for the feed and one for the return. I then air pressure tested them up to 100psi in a bucket of water. I did have to tighten one up more because bubbles were leaking.

Old 11-28-2023, 08:57 AM
TECH Resident

Here are a couple of pictures after I installed the hoses onto the Aeromotive fuel pump hanger assembly and installed the new fuel tank.

Old 11-29-2023, 10:35 AM
TECH Resident

So, I used teflon lined -6AN steel braided hose in the back or the car. Some guys will run it all the way up front and that is certainly a way to do it. Easy but not the way I wanted to do it. I wanted to do it a little more the way Ford did it. A combination of hard line and flexible hose. I'm not a total glutton for punishment so I decided to use nickle copper (nicopp) hard line. This stuff is pretty soft and it's much easier to work with than steel or, God forbid, stainless steel!

Prior to this project, I'd never worked with hard line other than maybe once with some small brake lines on my previous Mustang GT. I watched some videos on bending hard line on YouTube by HotRodHippie including this one:

I purchased some tubing tools including this flaring tool recommended by Andrew, AKA Dr. EFI (Project GatTagO):

Old 11-29-2023, 10:43 AM
TECH Resident

Nicopp comes in a roll and must be straightened out before properly bending it to the user's needs. The tubing is bendable by hand but there is no way that you could straighten it enough by hand to look good. You need a tubing straightener.

You can buy one all day long for $125-$150 but what fun is that? I watched a YouTube video of a guy making one for about 30 bucks. This time I did decide to be a glutton for punishment and I made my own. It was relatively easy but spending the money would've saved me a lot of time. Still, I just wanted to see if I could do it and if it would work.

Old 11-29-2023, 10:48 AM
TECH Resident

I made this tool fairly lightweight. It would never work on stainless steel. Probably not even mild steel but for nicopp, it was perfect! This homemade tubing straightener goes in a vice.

You hand straighten the coiled up tubing a little to get it into the orange rollers. Clamp down a little bit with the vice. Not too much or you'll dimple the tubing. Ask me how I know! You then push the tubing in and pull it out multiple times as the tubing straightens out. It won't be laser straight but it'll be straight enough to look professional.
The following 2 users liked this post by dannyual777:
Jimbo1367 (11-29-2023), Project GatTagO (11-29-2023)
Old 11-30-2023, 02:27 AM
TECH Resident

Here is a picture of the tubing bender that I used. It's definitely not a tool for a professional like the HotRodHippie but it's perfectly fine for a hobbyist who bends some softer tubing once in a while:

You can see that it made some really nice bends. There is a learning curve with a tool like this. I did mess some bends up and waste some tubing. One time I bent the tubing 180 degrees in the wrong direction. You can't unbend that!

Here are a couple of pictures of the flaring tool and a flared end of tubing:

The flaring tool was easy to use and did a wonderful job of flaring the ends. Don't forget to put the blue tube nuts and red tube sleeves on first!
Project GatTagO (11-30-2023)
Old 11-30-2023, 04:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 593 Likes on 471 Posts

That RIGID flare tool is one of the best tools I’ve ever bought. Great job on the tubing straightener.
Project GatTagO (11-30-2023)
Old 11-30-2023, 12:15 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
That RIGID flare tool is one of the best tools I’ve ever bought. Great job on the tubing straightener.
Thank you! Thank you! Sometimes I just want to see for myself if I can do something and making that tubing straightener was one of those times.

That RIGID flaring tool worked like magic on the nicopp tubing. It was super easy to use and the flares looked so good that I had a lot of confidence in them. So far, I've noticed no leaks.
Old 11-30-2023, 12:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thank you! Thank you! Sometimes I just want to see for myself if I can do something and making that tubing straightener was one of those times.

That RIGID flaring tool worked like magic on the nicopp tubing. It was super easy to use and the flares looked so good that I had a lot of confidence in them. So far, I've noticed no leaks.
You're welcome :-)

Andrew

Quick Reply: Project "hole in the head." LS376/480 into my 1991 Fox Body Coupe