Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

73 Cuda LS Swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2022, 05:11 PM
Launching!

Received 86 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
My car triggers OCD pain with some of my friends, with the colors.

Crusher camaro? lol. Sweet.
The following 2 users liked this post by 78TranzAm:
2ToeRacing (03-03-2022), wannafbody (02-18-2022)
Old 01-12-2022, 05:14 PM
Launching!

So i ordered an ICT adapter for the lower radiator hose and thats fixed. Next i need to replace the TPS switch inside the transmission. I keep getting a code for it but ive ignored it till now as I thought it was nothing important, then it clicked as to being why the transmission shifts rough and most likely why i had the weird shifting issues on the test drive the other day. Hopefully this switch fixes it. I was not gentle with the transmission the last time i put it in the car so, im not surprised lol.

Old 01-17-2022, 07:44 PM
Launching!

Replaced the manifold pressure switch in the transmission. Wasn't aware the cover comes off the old one and i installed it without it on... oops, was told thats ok so we'll see lol. But after first start up now, and after first shifting into R it still shifts slightly hard on the first shift but when i go from R to D its a nice soft shift and the trans doesn't try to jump off the mount lol. But, oddly i no longer get the code in my "stored section" of the code reader but it popped up in the "pending" section. I ran the car a couple times and cleared the code every time and after about the 5th time the code didn't come up anymore BUT now i have a 1-2 shift solenoid code and a TCC code... lol FML... While i was in there i noticed the 1-2 shift solenoid was very loose and very move able. The other one was nice and firm and didn't move. Wonder if thats why im getting the code? But i never got the code before? But i guess im going to have to change the TCC switch so will probably replace the solenoids too. IF its not one thing its another lol.. But thats how she goes. Cleaned the pan and put it back together. Maybe i need to drive it around the block again and let the computer adjust? Idk, we'll see.

Old 01-17-2022, 07:59 PM
Launching!

Also, lowered the front end just a tad over 2 inches. Not sure how I feel about it... First time running 50 series 15 inch tires and not sure i like the look on the front with that series on a 15inch rim... You tell me. Rear is stock height as far as i know. I will at some point put on a set of 2 inch lowering springs. Im ok with a very slight rake but not the old school rake lol.

Last edited by 78TranzAm; 01-17-2022 at 08:27 PM.
Old 01-18-2022, 06:30 PM
Launching!

I put the car on the mostly level street and re adjusted the front end height. Way too much rake for my liking with lowering the front 2 inches so I brought it back up an inch. Thats where it will stay until i can get the rear lowered.

The car still sits lower in the front than this picture shows even after i raised it back up an inch. I think the unlevel street makes the front sit higher. As it sits in the garage right now the top of the tire is even with the wheel well opening.

Last edited by 78TranzAm; 01-20-2022 at 06:20 PM.
Old 02-04-2022, 07:39 PM
Launching!

So of topic but had to share with the car world as im sure theres others who arent just into old, rusted out, muscle cars lol. We added to the fleet the other day. I've seen this truck right next to my sons school for about 3-4 years now. I asked if it was for sale 2 years ago and it wasn't. It was the ladys late brothers truck and they were close so the truck holds a lot of sentimental value. But it just sat in the driveway since he passed in 2016. Last week i was picking my son up from school and she pulled in her driveway right next to me. So i asked if it was for sale, she took a breath and said "well, make an offer". And i thought, ****, she might actually sell it lol. So long story short, for only $5000. I now own a 92 4x4, 5 speed Cummins. The Cudas now, big brother.

The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (02-04-2022)
Old 02-05-2022, 04:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 596 Likes on 473 Posts

nice score. I dig the older Mopar trucks. Some people are religious about older Cummins. Something about 12valves. Lol. I
Zanie (10-20-2022)
Old 02-05-2022, 10:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,130 Likes on 2,443 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
nice score. I dig the older Mopar trucks. Some people are religious about older Cummins. Something about 12valves. Lol. I
It's more about a near-absence of any electronics...
Zanie (10-20-2022)
Old 02-07-2022, 07:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 550 Likes on 344 Posts

Sweet truck! Are those Hummer wheels?

Originally Posted by G Atsma
It's kinda the polar opposite of LS swaps haha.
The following 2 users liked this post by ryeguy2006a:
G Atsma (02-07-2022), Zanie (10-20-2022)
Old 02-16-2022, 08:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ryeguy2006a
Sweet truck! Are those Hummer wheels?

It's kinda the polar opposite of LS swaps haha.
I believe so! not sure if im a fan of them or not yet. Given the tires on them are expensive and have 99% tread i won't be changing them anytime soon but i do prefer the stock wheels with center caps. Seems to be a trend with me and my vehicles... lol
Old 02-16-2022, 08:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Being a 92 it does have "some" electronics. The fusible links are always the biggest issues, then 91.5-93 have ECM's which run the AC system and some other things that im still not sure of. And of course they don't re produce the ECM's so you have to send them out to get rebuilt. The biggest issue on these trucks is ALWAYS the wiring lol
Old 02-16-2022, 08:36 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
I mean, like the LS theyre just reliable and durable lol. So only fitting one of my mopars has an LS and the other has a 12v lol
Old 02-18-2022, 06:12 PM
Launching!

Ordered some stuff and they showed up today. Love that Summit is only 2 hours from me. Means my parts get here next day most of the time. But, unlike the theme ive had going of "as cheap as possible" for this build. I chose to bite the bullet and spend $400 on an in tank fuel pump. My external pump is mounted on the bottom side of the trunk pan right above the sending unit of the tank (on a cuda the sending unit is on the side of the tank). I put it there because there was absolutely no where to put it below the tank. I barely found a spot on the frame rail next to the axle to mount the corvette filter/regulator. So, i just knew that that pump would burn up pretty quickly and it SUPER loud. You can hear it over the exhaust, so the in tank pump takes away quite a few issues. Im adding an external fuel filter which i got off amazon, im keeping my driveshaft the way it is with the extended yoke so i got the $45 driveshaft loop for insurance. Then i got some butyl tape so i can put the back window back in.

Im on the hunt for a trunk lid and grille both of which im afraid im going to have to buy new and i really don't want to spend $600 on a grille for this car thats 90% rust but, mopar... lol

So, im at the stage of the build now where im trying to finish up just the bare minimum stuff to get the car on the road.

and interesting what was on the ad cover from summit with my packages...

Old 02-18-2022, 09:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by RoyalJZ
hell yah brother i hate when somebody tries to tell you what ur doing with ur own money, im getting so much hate because im putting a 454 in my 92 camaro rs
You should put an LS in your car. :wink:

Originally Posted by 78TranzAm
Most purist hate me now. Weird how even chevy guys get mad at me for putting a chevy in a mopar. Internet people are weird and i thoroughly enjoy getting them butt hurt and doing it for far less money then what they put in to their cars lol
There's a guy over on For A Bodies Only (and I think he's on here, too) who is LS swapping his Dart. It's pretty cool, and most of the posts I've seen on that forum are pretty positive. But it isn't a Cuda. lol

Jay

Old 02-18-2022, 10:43 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JayinMI
You should put an LS in your car. :wink:

There's a guy over on For A Bodies Only (and I think he's on here, too) who is LS swapping his Dart. It's pretty cool, and most of the posts I've seen on that forum are pretty positive. But it isn't a Cuda. lol

Jay
Ya, the mopar people arent as protective over darts as they are E and B bodies lol. Theres a kid ls swapping his duster and he got kicked out of that group for it lol
Old 02-18-2022, 11:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 846 Likes on 647 Posts

I applaud you for stepping up and doing something out of the box and putting up with the hateraid.
The following 2 users liked this post by wannafbody:
2ToeRacing (03-03-2022), 78TranzAm (02-19-2022)
Old 02-19-2022, 02:58 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,143 Likes on 743 Posts

Sucks if you have to pay up for nice Cuda stuff but at least you are increasing the value, those cars are so rare.
Old 02-19-2022, 03:24 PM
Launching!

Sucks if you have to pay up for nice Cuda stuff but at least you are increasing the value, those cars are so rare.
Ya, very tired of prices for certain things, specifically a grille... $600 for a new one is the only option. I got lucky yesterday and a guy on Facebook responded to a post i made in a Mopar group. He's selling me a complete grill that has a minor broken piece and a crack for only $100 plus shipping. Insane deal, haven't paid him yet but i believe we should do the deal next week sometime, hopefully soon so that i can get it put on. As far as trunk lid, the only option will be new as i can get one shipped for around $320 as a used one shipped will be about the same because of shipping unless someone basically gives me one for free.

But aside from those 2 things, ill only have to start shelling out big amounts for body parts whenever i decide to start replacing body panels which, will be a long time. I would like to swap to 72 bumpers front and back as theyre the last year of flush bumpers but brackets alone are $200+ and the bumpers are $200+. So, the car with stay cosmetically the same for quite some time, unless i just happen to come across deals i cant pass up.
Old 02-19-2022, 05:52 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,143 Likes on 743 Posts

I hear you, I looked for deals for everything I bought for my car but some stuff I had to pay retail lol.

You figure out the converter lock issue? I was thinking it might do that too if it has popped a code, maybe even PO300?
Old 02-19-2022, 07:38 PM
Launching!

I hear you, I looked for deals for everything I bought for my car but some stuff I had to pay retail lol.

You figure out the converter lock issue? I was thinking it might do that too if it has popped a code, maybe even PO300?
I havent gotten back to it yet. If i start the car and just let it run ill get the TCC code and the 1-2 shift solenoid code. Maybe i just need to get everything tuned? haven't gotten the stock swap computer tuned yet so wonder if thats the issue. I may drive the car around the block again and see if that does anything.

Quick Reply: 73 Cuda LS Swap