Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New discoveries for LS1 into Mustangs Swaps

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 04:59 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was thinking more on the lines of using a Q1A (Ebay for $219.) tubular cross member and redrilling the engine mount holes so I could move it forward but I will try the stock location first just to check out the fit. Wouldn't bother me to hack an inch or two out of the floor. I seriously dought it will ever be a Ford powered vehicle again after the LS1 shows it's stuff.
Besides, I think the stock shifter location is too far forward anyways. It needs to be about 3 inches closer.
Old 10-24-2005, 05:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you are just gonna have the same problems that 96 is having..esp if you do a T-56...BUY THE DAMN QA1
Old 10-25-2005, 03:24 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by smarterthannobody
You wonder why you're car don't run and you have to hack up a Mystic cobra, If you don't want the shifter in the back seat listen to people that know what they are talking about.
WTF are you even talking about? My car doesn't run because Ford 4V motors keep blowing up with minimal mods. Who gives two ***** about a little piece of sheet metal, under the console, who no one will ever see, and could be re-welded in if ever you decide to go back to stock? What makes you think you know anything about the topic at hand? The shifter sits in the stock location...cut out a little bit of floor board, relocate the shifter handle foward, good as stock. No need to notch any oilpan, no need to fabricate custom motor mounts, no need to relocate tranny mounts. Until you've built a SN-95 with and LS1 and a T56 all together and running, get off my thread.

Originally Posted by yeah yeah
you are just gonna have the same problems that 96 is having..esp if you do a T-56...BUY THE DAMN QA1
What problems am I having? The motor sits in there like it came from the factory that way, using my stock K-member, motor mounts, and tranny mounts. Cut out the floor a little bit, extend the shifter handle foward a little bit...

I'm the last person that would want to cut out the floor on my Mystic Cobra, but i think the trade off is worth it.

Can you two tell me why it's worth all the ******* pain in the *** it would be to move everything forward about 3 inches, JUST so you don't have to cut out the floor a little bit? Besides the fact that you'd have to fabricate new motor and tranny mounts...the headers would have to be totally custom, the driveshaft would have to be lengthened that much longer, and the radiator and cooling fans wouldn't fit anymore because there'd be no more room. Plus you'd have 3 inches between the back of the motor and the firewall, so you can see all the back of the motor and front of the tranny.

Lets see some evidence that either one of you know anything about putting an LS1 in a Mustang. Gimmie some pics, some diagrams, some write-ups, something so maybe it will help out the entire Mustang/LS1 Hybrid community. Until then, you're just
Old 10-25-2005, 06:17 AM
9 Second Club

I'm with Mystic, he has done the work of fitting everything and has found that the stock location is the best. I'm not as far into my swap as him but I will be following his lead.
I don't know why you need to be posting in this thread if you don't have anything good or supportive to add.
I feel hesitant to post here because it's not my thread and I'm sure as hell not going to bash Mystic for the hard work he has put into his swap.
If the 4.6 was worth a crap I wouldn't be doing the swap either.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:08 PM
Teching In

Mr. Peebody said the way back machine says you should have sold the cobra running with a few mods for 12k and bought a v6 for 3k and painted it like the mistake cobra. Then you could pay for professional help.

Last edited by smarterthanyou; 10-25-2005 at 03:14 PM.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:18 PM
9 Second Club

Mystic,

Have you tried to fit up LS1 shorties or long tubes? I know everyone say's the 351W swapt headers will work if LS1 flanges are welded on but wondered if you tried the LS1 headers?
Old 10-25-2005, 01:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

A buddy of mine put Pacesetters in his Mustang if I remember correctly, but he had to ding up a couple primaries to make them fit. The 351W headers fit better.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:34 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by smarterthanyou
Mr. Peebody said the way back machine says you should have sold the cobra running with a few mods for 12k and bought a v6 for 3k and painted it like the mistake cobra. Then you could pay for professional help.
This just shows how much you know about mystic cobras. Good luck getting the mystic paint to paint your little "v6" mystic cobra. If a mystic cobra is wrecked or needs a repaint PPG will send out their own crew to your body shop and paint the car themselves and take every bit of oversprayed paper and every drop of leftover paint with them. Bottom line is PPG doesn't want people making this paint.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Slicknic
Mystic,

Have you tried to fit up LS1 shorties or long tubes? I know everyone say's the 351W swapt headers will work if LS1 flanges are welded on but wondered if you tried the LS1 headers?
Ya, I'm actually using Hooker Shorty headers. The only thing I'll have to change is the flanges where it would go down to the Y-Pipe. It hits the steering shaft, so I planned on removing that and having a ball/socket type flange welded on. That way I can use a stock Mustang H-Pipe (or any aftermarket off road H/X pipe). That oughta keep things simple.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Mystic96
Ya, I'm actually using Hooker Shorty headers. The only thing I'll have to change is the flanges where it would go down to the Y-Pipe. It hits the steering shaft, so I planned on removing that and having a ball/socket type flange welded on. That way I can use a stock Mustang H-Pipe (or any aftermarket off road H/X pipe). That oughta keep things simple.

dude you really are not using your head...and we would of been more then happy to help you until you acted like a moron...if we posted up a pic of the headers we are using you would be dumbfounded...lol hope you get your car running soon...lol
Old 10-25-2005, 06:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by pist0lpete
This just shows how much you know about mystic cobras. Good luck getting the mystic paint to paint your little "v6" mystic cobra. If a mystic cobra is wrecked or needs a repaint PPG will send out their own crew to your body shop and paint the car themselves and take every bit of oversprayed paper and every drop of leftover paint with them. Bottom line is PPG doesn't want people making this paint.

haha, ok let me guess you do paint and body work for a living, I sure hope not. You don't really think that do you?
Old 10-25-2005, 07:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Dude, you can buy "mystic" paint in any color combination you want, from any major paint company you want. Heck, you can buy it in rattle cans at Autozone
Old 10-25-2005, 08:49 PM
Teching In

Well, I know a few years ago the PPG mystic paint deal was true(haven't been around it in a while). It seems that the nice color change pigment on our US paper money shares some of the same pigments/sparkles as the "PPG mystic paint" and they do recover all residue and catch the solvent used to clean the equipment and extra paint(to deter counterfeiters). This only applies to the 1996 mystic color. Sounds crazy but I am sure crazier things happen daily. How do I know this?? My father ran a paint store for many years and I remember him talking about this, since he knew I was into mustangs at the time. Maybe why the later color change paint didn't include all the same colors???
Caleb
Old 10-25-2005, 11:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by yeah yeah
dude you really are not using your head...and we would of been more then happy to help you until you acted like a moron...if we posted up a pic of the headers we are using you would be dumbfounded...lol hope you get your car running soon...lol
What's your deal? I am doing just fine by myself. How am I not using my head? Please explain...

What are you using? 351 Longtubes with LS1 flanges? I thought about it. I found that Hooker shorties work just fine, plus they were free.

And where did I act like a moron? You talking about the PMs you and I exchanged? Just because I told you that I'd met John before and had already talked to him about helping me out...is that what you're talking about?
Old 10-25-2005, 11:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Brains
Dude, you can buy "mystic" paint in any color combination you want, from any major paint company you want. Heck, you can buy it in rattle cans at Autozone
Well your confusing "mystic" with the different varieties of chameleon paints made by anybody from house of kolor to ppg. The actual exact mystic color for the mystic cobras is the color i was referring to. There are many different variations o the chameleon type paints.
Old 10-25-2005, 11:10 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by smarterthanyou
haha, ok let me guess you do paint and body work for a living, I sure hope not. You don't really think that do you?
Don't talk unless you know what your talking about.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:26 AM
8 Second Club

what about ls1 mac midlength headers?
Old 10-26-2005, 12:48 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 1dirtyZ
what about ls1 mac midlength headers?
tried they don't fit for **** the steering knuckle is in the way
Old 10-26-2005, 07:21 AM
8 Second Club

there goes my plan,,,,

any one try and different type of long tubes?
slp or some other kinds?
Old 10-26-2005, 08:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

If all this jazz about the "true 96 cobra mystic paint" is true, that's a lot of crap to go through for such an ugly color

(never been a fan of mystic)

Quick Reply: New discoveries for LS1 into Mustangs Swaps