Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New discoveries for LS1 into Mustangs Swaps

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 09:47 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mystic96
Ya, I'm actually using Hooker Shorty headers. The only thing I'll have to change is the flanges where it would go down to the Y-Pipe. It hits the steering shaft, so I planned on removing that and having a ball/socket type flange welded on. That way I can use a stock Mustang H-Pipe (or any aftermarket off road H/X pipe). That oughta keep things simple.

Look what I found on Flaming rivers site http://www.flamingriver.com/index.cf...rod/prd227.htm
I was thinking about making one of these but didn't know they made one. I'm sure it would be cheaper through a stocking dealer than directly from Flaming River.
That eliminate the header issues pretty much.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:25 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by red90cobra
tried they don't fit for **** the steering knuckle is in the way

To make it fit right, you will just have to make a set of headres. It will cost less in the long run, Look how much time mystake cobra has wasted. Time = Money
Old 10-26-2005, 11:36 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by pist0lpete
Don't talk unless you know what your talking about.
Why are you here? This is not about small engine repair, you probably never have even pulled a valve cover off a ls1. so shut you're pie hole and go back paint class. Maybe then you can tell me how many coats of different colors the mystic paint is.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:38 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by smarterthannobody
To make it fit right, you will just have to make a set of headres. It will cost less in the long run, Look how much time mystake cobra has wasted. Time = Money
Who the **** are you and what the **** are you talking about? Why do you keep criticizing everything in my thread? If you don't like what I'm doing, that's fine. Say so and move on. All you and your buddy Yeah Yeah are doing is muddying up a thread that lots of people would think is pretty informative.

No, in the long run, it won't cost less to buy Long Tubes, re-weld on LS1 flanges, make any modifications necessary to the tubes to clear the steering shaft...unless you got a set of headers for free, got some LS1 flanges for free, and knew how to weld everything together by yourself.

The Hooker shorties, as well as the stock manifolds fit, with the only modification being that you remove the giant triangle flanges on the bottom for something smaller, like the ball and socket joint I plan on using. If money is tight, this would be the best way to go about it.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:32 PM
Teching In

Who the **** are you and what the **** are you talking about? Why do you keep criticizing everything in my thread? If you don't like what I'm doing, that's fine. Say so and move on. All you and your buddy Yeah Yeah are doing is muddying up a thread that lots of people would think is pretty informative.

Iam a **** head, in the long run, it won't cost less to buy Long Tubes, re-weld on LS1 flanges, make any modifications necessary to the tubes to clear the steering shaft...unless you got a set of headers for free, got some LS1 flanges for free, and knew how to weld everything together by yourself.

The Hooker shorties, as well as the stock manifolds fit, with the only modification being that you remove the giant triangle flanges on the bottom for something smaller, like the ball and socket joint I plan on using. If money is tight, this would be the best way to go about it.
To be honest I think what you are doing is dangerous for instance 2 bolts holding a motor mount that was engineered to hold 3, you probably don’t know the degree you're motor or drive shaft is or if it is straight. Those are just some things that can get you hurt real bad or killed if you do not do them right.

Last edited by smarterthanyou; 10-26-2005 at 12:42 PM.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:36 PM
On The Tree

How is this thread informative when you have made no progress and your car is not running and you had to chop up your car??? im dieing to know... all you have done as far as i can tell is set a LS1 on a stock Kmember and cut your car up, and that has taken you 1/2 a year?

do you plan on making any power w/ that LS1 motor with those headers? what cam are you going to use? and what heads ? what exhaust set-up are you going to use??? just to let you know those headers suck...
Old 10-26-2005, 01:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

You guys who haven't done this conversion shouldn't be running your mouth. I've been there, done that, and it all works just fine. You don't use 2 bolts on the motor mount -- you use all three. You simply extend the bracket and drill a hole.
Old 10-26-2005, 01:44 PM
On The Tree

LMFAO !!! were building one now, and the guy building it has done it many times..
Old 10-26-2005, 02:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by smarterthannobody
To be honest I think what you are doing is dangerous for instance 2 bolts holding a motor mount that was engineered to hold 3, you probably don’t know the degree you're motor or drive shaft is or if it is straight. Those are just some things that can get you hurt real bad or killed if you do not do them right.
As Brains pointed out below, all 3 bolts on the motor mount are used once the motor mount is modified. No I don't know what degree the motor sits, but I do know the driveshaft sits straight. The motor sits pretty level once everything is bolted up. I doubt there will be any problems if the motor sits 1 or 2 degrees up or down from factory specs.

And since you seem to know everything, why don't you tell me what degree I should have my motor set at?

Originally Posted by yeah yeah
How is this thread informative when you have made no progress and your car is not running and you had to chop up your car??? im dieing to know... all you have done as far as i can tell is set a LS1 on a stock Kmember and cut your car up, and that has taken you 1/2 a year?
As I've told you through our PMs...I have other things going on. This car isn't my highest priority. For 3 months my car was at a body shop being completely repainted. For almost a month I had some guy screwing around trying to modify my motor mounts for me. Those are things I couldn't control. I also have a day job and a night job, therefore I don't have much free time to wrench on a car.

This thread was informative because I shows in the very first post that you don't have to have a whole bunch of expensive custom parts to make a LS1 bolt into a Mustang. It shows that you can slightly modify some stock parts and get everything to fit. And I really don't think cutting approximately a 4" by 3" rectangle from the tranny tunnel is chopping up a car. Especially since unless you take the console out you'd never see it, and since it can be rewelded in if ever I decide to take the car back to stock.

do you plan on making any power w/ that LS1 motor with those headers? what cam are you going to use? and what heads ? what exhaust set-up are you going to use??? just to let you know those headers suck...
No I don't plan on making a ton of power. The motor is all stock. Stock cam, stock heads. I'm planning on using an off road X-pipe and maybe some bullet mufflers, or maybe I'll put my custom side exhaust setup back on. Haven't decided yet.

The car will probably stay mostly stock. I may put in a mild cam later on. I'm not out to set any horsepower or 1/4 mile records. I'm just trying to build a nice driver. It's fine that these headers suck. As long as they get the job done, they're good enough for me.
Old 10-26-2005, 02:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

If anyone needs a set of motor mounts made up, just send me a pair of stock 4.6L mounts and some beer money, and I'll weld 'em up for you.
Old 10-26-2005, 03:31 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by smarterthanyou
Why are you here? This is not about small engine repair, you probably never have even pulled a valve cover off a ls1. so shut you're pie hole and go back paint class. Maybe then you can tell me how many coats of different colors the mystic paint is.
I am here giving advice about things I know about and showing how incompetent you are when it comes to paint. I never claimed to be an expert on LS1's as you claimed to know about paint. I have onlnly given advice on what I do know very well. From what I can tell so far you come in here and criticize everything Mystic does and lack the knowledge to actually give him any intelligent advice. Last time i checked sites like this were set up for people to share educated advice. What I do or do not know about cars should be beside the point as I do know quite a bit but I come to places like this to get advice from educated people not dumbasses like you. If you don't like the thread then GTFO!
Old 10-26-2005, 04:15 PM
9 Second Club

LMFAO !!! were building one now, and the guy building it has done it many times..
So I see you have not built one either and have nothing to add...
Oooh and I see you are having someone build it for you, uh huh..
Old 10-26-2005, 04:18 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by smarterthanyou
Isn't it odd that this is the only thread that dumberthanyou has ever posted on..
Old 10-26-2005, 09:20 PM
Banned

My turbo ls1 mustang is faster than your turbo ls1 mustang....that is all. thank you.

I will gladly internet race anyone here. I talk 4's.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:03 PM
Conversion master

I think that's enough

Quick Reply: New discoveries for LS1 into Mustangs Swaps