Sponsored by:

air intake question-'67 el camino ls1m6

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 09:24 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default air intake question-'67 el camino ls1m6

Hi.

I am new to this forum. I am putting a ls1 m6 into my '67 elcamino.
I bought a wreaked '98 Z28 and have used as many parts off of it to get the most of my money spent getting it. I installed the firewall so that I could use the dash board, pedals, a/c, etc. I am trying to figure out how to get cold air to the air filter, or if it is worth all the extra work. There is only about 7 inches between the radiator and the Throttle body. If I could find a 90 degree elbow that would attach to the TB on one end and the MAF on the other in that short radius, I think that I could use flexable duct from NAPA to go between the MAF and the air filter down low on the left front area next to the radiator.

Has anyone came up with a good set up that they would like to share?

Any suggestions would help.

Also, I have made plenty of mistakes, and learned a lot. I may be able to help someone with questions too.

Way cool site!

I will include some pictures if I can.

Thanks,
Bruce
Attached Thumbnails air intake question-'67 el camino ls1m6-dsc00218.jpg   air intake question-'67 el camino ls1m6-dsc00219.jpg   air intake question-'67 el camino ls1m6-dsc00220.jpg   air intake question-'67 el camino ls1m6-dsc00222.jpg  
Old 04-06-2005, 10:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://shop.airflowonline.com/Mercha...tegory_Code=9D

works pretty good... 4" to fit the throttlebody, 3.5" to fit the MAF.

edit:

i just want to add that this setup is very temporary... its just there until i get around to getting a 4" mandrel bent piece... i want one solid flowing tube from the throttlebody to the bottom of the drivers side "battery box like" area... the big airfilter will be under the front of the car then.
Attached Thumbnails air intake question-'67 el camino ls1m6-engine1.jpg   air intake question-'67 el camino ls1m6-engine2.jpg   air intake question-'67 el camino ls1m6-cai.jpg  
Old 04-06-2005, 10:24 AM
Restricted User

The cool air would help .
Looks good,how long have you
bin working on it ?
Old 04-06-2005, 10:41 AM
Deranged Rat Fink

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excellent, Mr.D! The '92 RS conversion my fellow MTFBA member has is using one of those itty-bitty S&P chrome filters on his LS1 . It's cute but looks horribly restrictive.Your setup looks vastly more effective in letting that mug breathe!I know what I want now!
Old 04-06-2005, 10:55 AM
Staging Lane

Default Thanks!!!

[QUOTE=MrDude_1][url]Thank you MrDude. That is exactly what I need!
I was dreading the thought of this part of the project. I was expecting to have to pay a lot more than that for the elbow too.
Maybe my frankinstien WILL live after all!

I have been working on this project since spring of 2002.
I also posted more info on "convertion" thread about the car. or is it a truck?
anyway, thanks!
Old 04-06-2005, 10:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by badjuju342
Excellent, Mr.D! The '92 RS conversion my fellow MTFBA member has is using one of those itty-bitty S&P chrome filters on his LS1 . It's cute but looks horribly restrictive.Your setup looks vastly more effective in letting that mug breathe!I know what I want now!

its HUGE and its loud...... you will hear the engine sucking in air...

the summit part number is KNN-RE-0880.

its 14" long, and has a 4" outlet.... its even bigger then it seems in the pics..

truthfully, you could run a smaller filter.... the reason that one is so big is that it will be placed vertically thru the "battery box" area... the height is so that if the end becomes submerged, it will still suck air from above the waterline... thats the plan atleast.

if you really want a idea of what sizes are available, look here:
http://www.knfilters.com/universal/universal.htm
select a style and look it up in the chart.

you can then lookup that part number anywhere that sells K&N filters to buy it... the one i have was $49.95

elesquan:
sorry for the thread hijack.... btw, the elky looks great!
Old 04-06-2005, 11:03 AM
Staging Lane

Cool Project!

The camaro dashboard is quite a bit deeper than the stock elky... How much did you have to modify the dashboard (length or width) to get it to fit...

Originally Posted by elesquan
Hi.

I bought a wreaked '98 Z28 and have used as many parts off of it to get the most of my money spent getting it. I installed the firewall so that I could use the dash board, pedals, a/c, etc. I am trying to figure out how to get cold air to the air filter, or if it is worth all the extra work. There is only about 7 inches between the radiator and the Throttle body. If I could find a 90 degree elbow that would attach to the TB on one end and the MAF on the other in that short radius, I think that I could use flexable duct from NAPA to go between the MAF and the air filter down low on the left front area next to the radiator.

Also, I have made plenty of mistakes, and learned a lot. I may be able to help someone with questions too.

Way cool site!

Thanks,
Bruce
Old 04-06-2005, 11:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

I used a 2004 GTO elbow. It doesn't get really cold air but it works.

If you're just looking for an elbow, I've heard of people using the LT1 1LE elbow. It's oval shaped, but it's plastic so it will bend.
Old 04-06-2005, 11:21 AM
Staging Lane

I just had to shorten a filler panel that fits between the windshield and dash board,
and it is slightly narrower that the elcky is wide. The firewall from the camaro was used to make the dash work.(hvac etc.)
Old 04-06-2005, 12:03 PM
Launching!

That is badass, I never really thought of using the camaro firewall but it makes alot of sense if your going m6 to be able to just plug and play with all the hydraulic equipment and wiring and stuff along those lines. Good job.

Remington
Old 04-06-2005, 02:07 PM
Staging Lane

Bruce,

Could you please post some additional pictures of your firewall conversion - I would love to see more of where you cut and welded the two together.

Thanks!

Hi.

Way cool site!

Thanks,
Bruce
Old 04-06-2005, 05:21 PM
Restricted User

Thumbs up 4th gen brakes ?

What front brakes do you have ? I used C5 brakes
in front & 99 10 bolt with discs out back, so I could
use the ABS. The thing stops like big time !
Old 04-06-2005, 05:30 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 76LS1BIRD
What front brakes do you have ? I used C5 brakes
in front & 99 10 bolt with discs out back, so I could
use the ABS. The thing stops like big time !
I used cadilac spindles and calipers, and 1le camaro 12' rotors. The taller spindle changes the roll center to make it corner better.
I have one of the first gtech meters, and it pulls over 9 g's stopping. It just has the stock drum brakes in back, but I still had to put an adjustable propotioning valve in to limit the pressure to the back. I killed the abs and the air bags on my swap.

Are there any pictures of your car? I've allways liked that year firebird.
Old 04-06-2005, 05:32 PM
Staging Lane

I will try do dig up some pictures of the firewall.
Old 04-06-2005, 05:53 PM
Restricted User

there are 2 pics. from SLP show.http://www.slponline.com/cad2004/cad..._5.asp?PIC=105
I'm not very good with pics.
Is your trans. M6 ? (T56)
Old 04-07-2005, 01:11 PM
Staging Lane

Any idea how many hours you have into the firewall/dash change?

I will try do dig up some pictures of the firewall.
Old 04-07-2005, 01:57 PM
Staging Lane

I started the project in 2002, and all of the pain from that part of the swap has not yet left me. It was a pain. I started out by measuring where the engine/trans was in relation to the firewall/trans tunnel. Then after the engine/trans was out I started to drill out what must have been 100,000 spot welds (O.K. maybe 200 or so) and using a die grinder with a cut off wheel, and a sawzall I cut out the firewall as big as I could to be able to trim it down as needed when fitting it in the camino. I ended up cuting the firewall on the camino out just below the removable cowl area, but I cut around and left in the fender mounting areas. The Z firewall was left as tall as possible to use the air plenalum and the windshield wiper motor mounting area. I welded in a sheet metal filler between the two after I had everything where I wanted it. I was able to leave the windshield in to keep that part of the car straight.
I am one of those people that are to poor to be able to spend all the money to be able to do it right.(poor people have poor ways) But, I did get rid of that ugly ***
el camino dash. And I was able to use the intermitent wipers, too.
I am guessing about 200 hours to tare down the Z and install firewall and modify the frame. But that is a guess.
I remember thinking when I was about done with that part of the project that I probably could have worked overtime or a part time job and earned enough money to buy all the things I needed. But working on the car is funner that working for someone else I suppose. My goal was to have a car that had all the good stuff from a new car, with old car style. And be able to just plug everything back into the wiring harness from the Z with the exception of the lighting. So far it has worked out.
If you do this, I would not start without buying a set of factory service manuals for the donar car. I found mine on ebay for cheap, and would have never been able to do it without them. I also would buy a bunch of those ziplock bags, and put screws from every part taken off into there own bag and mark the bag with a magic marker. I also used wire ties on the end of each connector, wrote what it was on masking tape and put the tape on the wire tie cutting off the extra after the tape was on. When the harness was out of the car, it was overwhelming wondering how it all went back in.
If you do it, I will be glad to give you my email address if you want. I will try to find the picures this weekend and let you know.
Bruce
Old 04-07-2005, 03:12 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks to everybody that has shared ideas.

MrDude- have you figured out how to keep water spray, mud etc. off of the filter when you relocate it? And is the reducing elbow the only support needed for your air filter system? Thanks again, I am ordering that elbow.

Scooter70- I priced the GTO part at the dealer a few weeks ago, and it was over $100. Looks like you are using it pointing opposite from GTO install. You have a cool vette. Thanks.

76 Bird- I like your car. Did you use a donor car also? My swap is a M6 too.
Thanks.
Old 04-07-2005, 03:29 PM
TECH Junkie

[QUOTE=elesquan]
MrDude- have you figured out how to keep water spray, mud etc. off of the filter when you relocate it? And is the reducing elbow the only support needed for your air filter system? Thanks again, I am ordering that elbow.
QUOTE]

im not worried about waterspray mud or debris from directly hitting it... the nose of the car will still be in the way of any "direct hits" it may get a mist when its raining out, and it may become partway submerged if i go thru a large puddle(or a small lake ) but for the most part, the nose of the car keeps it clear.... this setup is alot like most LT1 setups... there are alot of cars like this..

when clamped, the elbow can hold everything up... but right below that hump hose is the moving belt and spinning PS pump.... i didnt feel comfortable driving it like that, so i have a bracket holding it under the hump hose.. you cant see it in any of thoes pics... the filter itself is currently on the fender, so it holds half its own weight as well...

when i finish with it (i have other higher prioritys first) it'll be supported near the PS pump area by a bolt in the head, and near the fener part.
Old 04-07-2005, 08:09 PM
Restricted User

I started with a wrecked backend 99 Z
30K ,got it cheap,& used alot of it.

Dale

Quick Reply: air intake question-'67 el camino ls1m6