Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

camaro v6 to LS1

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 07:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default camaro v6 to LS1

I want to change out my v6 to a LS1 but am trying to way my options. I want to get more power but with a v6 I can only get so much, theres a supercharger and some other options that would be worth the money but with a LS1 there are so many options. Would my best bet for the money be to swap out my engine?

Last edited by camaroPOWER; 05-13-2005 at 02:35 PM.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:07 PM
SSU, come over and relax

your best bet would be to sell your v6 and buy a z28
Old 05-09-2005, 08:10 PM
On The Tree

Yeah thats what I hear. I was just looking around for a wrecked car with a ls1 or someone that is selling what I need. I dont want to sell this car because im almost done paying it off and dont feel like jumping back into payments. I have been back and forth on what I want to do and keep landing on engine swap. But i do hear alot of problems with engine swaps.

Last edited by camaroPOWER; 05-13-2005 at 02:36 PM.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't have any real problems with my swap. Just downtime for piddly stuff. If you can't afford any downtime, then I'd skip the swap.

I ended up needing a steering rack (my y87, although fast ratio, wasn't the same rack as the v8 for my year...). Found that out after the swap was finished and I couldn't hook up the steering.

Broke the water temp sending unit, and the 3-wire on the 98 wasn't listed correctly at any of the local parts places. So I had to get one from a dealer.

Needed an exhaust hanger.

Nothing major, just little stumbling blocks that made the swap drag out.
But if you have a donor car sitting right there, it would simplify a lot of things.

I didn't want to swap tanks and lines, so I went with a 97 vette fuel rail so I could keep my gas tank and fuel lines. That simplified things for me.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you want to keep the v6, and pump it up, a Powerdyne is an easy install.
The kits had a bit of a slippage problem, but check on camarov6.com for info on the "John_D." power-wrap. I was able to get 12 psi on a Powerdyne on my setup before I did the v8 swap.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:56 PM
On The Tree

How long did it take you to do the swap before all of the problems? And how long after?

Last edited by camaroPOWER; 05-13-2005 at 02:36 PM.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Once I had the engine ready to go in, the actual swap probably took about 1/2 a day. Getting the old engine and tranny out, switching the front suspension to the new k-member, rolling the new combo under the car and setting the car back down on it.

Then it's just hooking up hoses, torque arm, exhaust, etc. I made a jumper wire to power up the INJ2 circuit. Made up some new fuel hoses since neither the v6 or v8 ones mated up quite like I wanted them.

Bleeding the brakes. (I used a pressure bleeder)
Aligning the front end. (I used home tools to set caster, camber, toe).
Putting the v8 gauge cluster in the car.
Tuning the computer for new different gears. (the swap engine came from a 2.73 car and I had 3.42 gears)

It probably equalled about another full day for all the hookups, fluid fills, etc., except I spread it out over a few different sessions.

If you have everything you need, and nothing goes wrong, you could probably pull the whole thing off in a weekend. (a tank and line swap might slow you down a bit, I didn't have to do that with mine)
Old 05-10-2005, 08:24 PM
Teching In

depending on what year your v6 is Hardwired could take your factory v8 harness if you have one and make a plug and play type harness. if not they could modify an existing v8 harness or make you a brand new one. call Hardwired at (210) 827-0556 ask for Rudy
Old 05-12-2005, 01:34 PM
On The Tree

The swap is definitely the way to go if you've got the space/time/tools/patience and you do some research to make sure you cover all the bases. Sure, buying and LS1 car is easier, but you'll pay for it initially (and every month for insurance).

Depending on your goals, modding the V6 is a waste of time/money IMO. Sure, going fast w/a V6 is cool, but then when you get bored or want to go beyond the limits of the 6, you'll realize all that money/time could have been spent on building a faster V8 car.

Not sure what year your car is, but supposedly a '98 to '98 swap is easiest, which I lucked into. We'll see how it goes in a few months.

Check out Magnus' site: http://www.dxsoftware.com/magnus/ for more info.

Quick Reply: camaro v6 to LS1