Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Those that have done full aftermarket gauges. got some questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 08:13 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Those that have done full aftermarket gauges. got some questions

Hey guys, I am wanting to convert to full autometer sport comp gauge setup on my swap. Its a 6.0 swap into a 91 fullsize blazer. I think I have everything figured out, but had a few more questions about the speedo and oil pressure. Can I just hookup the vss lead that comes off the harness straight to the autometer speedo? Also, what are my options as far as the oil pressure sender goes? I know there are several different ways to do it, like in the stock location in the pan with an adapter, but I am wanting to know what my options are. I already have the temp sender hooked up so that shouldnt be a problem, and how the tach reads like a 4 cylinder signal. Anything else I should know about before diving into this little project? Any suggestions? Post up guys.

Thanks,
Remington
Old 05-10-2005, 09:03 PM
TECH Regular

i dont know but i hope you get some good answers!!! i need the same info!!
Old 05-10-2005, 10:01 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default I have been doing some research myself...

Originally Posted by Remington H.
Hey guys, I am wanting to convert to full autometer sport comp gauge setup on my swap. Its a 6.0 swap into a 91 fullsize blazer. I think I have everything figured out, but had a few more questions about the speedo and oil pressure. Can I just hookup the vss lead that comes off the harness straight to the autometer speedo? Also, what are my options as far as the oil pressure sender goes? I know there are several different ways to do it, like in the stock location in the pan with an adapter, but I am wanting to know what my options are. I already have the temp sender hooked up so that shouldnt be a problem, and how the tach reads like a 4 cylinder signal. Anything else I should know about before diving into this little project? Any suggestions? Post up guys.

Thanks,
Remington
Reading the Autometer speedo information the VSS signal from the transmission "MUST" connect directly to the speedo. There is an output from the speedo to connect to the PCM. Every one of the Autometer speedos are self calibrating by driving a measured mile and pressing cal button on the speedo or inline.

On the tach the PCM puts out a 4 cyl signal which will need to be converted. There is a conversion box for this but I will have to look up the name, John B has it on his site.

This is just information I have read and I have not installed new guages yet. Just gathering information for the swap later.

I plan on tapping the block for the temp sensor and also mounting my stock oil sending unit in the block similar as John B has done.

Just my information I have gathered so far.

Question: What about Autometers new computerized gauage sytem, anyone know about it and how much it cost? Autometers site just gives a need demo so far.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:24 PM
On The Tree

I have a full Autometer gauge setup in my Cutlass. I had difficulty with the speedo when I wired it like Autometer's directions said. They have you run the VSS high wire through the speedo then on to the PCM. This immediately threw VSS trouble codes from the PCM upon startup. I called Autometer and they were no help. They just reread me the instruction sheet. However, I found a way that does work. The PCM has an output that feeds the stock speedo and cruise unit. It is a single wire (pinout varies with year) that has a 4000 pulse per mile signal. I simply took this wire to the input terminal on the Autometer speedo (and in parallel to the cruise control unit also) and both work just peachy.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:49 AM
Launching!

thanks for the replys so far, any ideas on the oil pressure gauge hookup? Isnt the sensor in the pan for the factory oil pressure sensor? Would I just take it out and replace it with the autometer sender or does the computer use its output signal for something? Anybody out there have an idea?

Remington
Old 05-11-2005, 10:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Remington H.
thanks for the replys so far, any ideas on the oil pressure gauge hookup? Isnt the sensor in the pan for the factory oil pressure sensor? Would I just take it out and replace it with the autometer sender or does the computer use its output signal for something? Anybody out there have an idea?

Remington
There is a location on the drivers side above the oil filter where there is a small plate that you can remove and tap for the oil pressure fitting for the autometer gauge to fit.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:15 PM
Launching!

alright cool thanks.

Remington
Old 05-11-2005, 10:12 PM
Teching In

There is another hole in the heads for the Autometer temp sender, its the same spot as the factory sender but in the other head (reversed obviously) from memory. This allows the factory sender to keep doing its thing with pcm.

My oil pressure sender is above the filter. Tach is switched to 4 cyl and the VSS single wire runs the speedo. Fuel gauge was never going to work on the factory sender as the Ohms move backwards to autometer of the same Ohm range.

Hope this helps.

cheers
Mal

Quick Reply: Those that have done full aftermarket gauges. got some questions