Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lt1 into a mercedes 1990 180e

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 09:37 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lt1 into a mercedes 1990 180e

Well we just took out the lt1 motor and the mercedes motor. We are using the lt1 tranny and probably a jaguar rear end with a custom driveshaft. Lt1 ecu to run the motor and minor things.

Any things we should look into?
Any problems we will likely come across?

As of now it seems that we are gonig to be using 2 drivers side headers and having the passenger side come up the front and under and out.
Old 07-19-2005, 12:52 PM
TECH Regular

You stole my idea!
I was debating whether to do the bimmer or the 190e with an LS1 ended up doing the bimmer just through a random sequence of events.
I think the 190 (or 180?) would be a great swap. Awesome sleeper. Body is very stiff, big engine bay. My only concerns were a lack of performance parts (brakes, suspension etc) and the expense and rarity of replacement parts. If you have one in great condition go for it, especially one of the 16v ones that have bigger brakes and a beefier suspension.
The LT1 is a little heavy though, if you can get a Ls1 I think the handling would be vastly improved.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Waveridr85
Well we just took out the lt1 motor and the mercedes motor. We are using the lt1 tranny and probably a jaguar rear end with a custom driveshaft. Lt1 ecu to run the motor and minor things.

Any things we should look into?
Any problems we will likely come across?

As of now it seems that we are gonig to be using 2 drivers side headers and having the passenger side come up the front and under and out.
How are you running a rear sump engine with a rear steer car?

This guy used a ford engine/trans.
converted to rack and pinion by making a plate to mount it on.
he has no problems running headers with the steering box gone.
running an 8.8 ford diff
http://www.190revolution.net/forum/v...ic.php?t=18352
go down to the 8th post, alot of info
Old 07-19-2005, 09:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by redmist
You stole my idea!
I was debating whether to do the bimmer or the 190e with an LS1 ended up doing the bimmer just through a random sequence of events.
I think the 190 (or 180?) would be a great swap. Awesome sleeper. Body is very stiff, big engine bay. My only concerns were a lack of performance parts (brakes, suspension etc) and the expense and rarity of replacement parts. If you have one in great condition go for it, especially one of the 16v ones that have bigger brakes and a beefier suspension.
The LT1 is a little heavy though, if you can get a Ls1 I think the handling would be vastly improved.
There are plenty of suppliers of suspension parts for 190E's. You can also mod koni double adjustable inserts to fit into the factory shock.
E320 brakes bolt right on, they are huge.

Yes, the LT1 is heavy and rear sump
I dont know how it will fit with the 190 cross member and the fact that it is rear steer.
This LS1 oil pan should fit nicely though.
Attached Thumbnails Lt1 into a mercedes 1990 180e-pan-side.jpg   Lt1 into a mercedes 1990 180e-pan-top.jpg   Lt1 into a mercedes 1990 180e-pan-bottom.jpg  
Old 07-25-2005, 10:52 AM
On The Tree

update:
-We have fitted the engine and are making motor mounts
I forgot to mention that I am working on this project with a friend and it is being doen to his car. So therefore I do not have all the answers.

Question #1: I have no idea what a rear sump engine or what a rear steer engine is. If someone can explain these to me i would greatly appreciate it.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

update:
-We have fitted the engine and are making motor mounts
I forgot to mention that I am working on this project with a friend and it is being doen to his car. So therefore I do not have all the answers.

Question #1: I have no idea what a rear sump engine or what a rear steer engine is. If someone can explain these to me i would greatly appreciate it.
rear sump engine is where the sump is towards the rear of the engine
example.....gm f-bodies and trucks have rear sump pans
late model gto's have front sump pans

rear steer cars steer from the back of the steering knuckles, brake calipers towards the front of the car.
vice versa for front steer.
190's are rear steer cars

any pics of the project?
I want to see how he cleared the factory steering with a rear sump LT1.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:04 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Gen3Benz
rear sump engine is where the sump is towards the rear of the engine
example.....gm f-bodies and trucks have rear sump pans
late model gto's have front sump pans

rear steer cars steer from the back of the steering knuckles, brake calipers towards the front of the car.
vice versa for front steer.
190's are rear steer cars

any pics of the project?
I want to see how he cleared the factory steering with a rear sump LT1.
What we did was sat the engine and trans further back by cutting into the fire wall and floor of the car. The pass side of the car will have a similar "hump" as the camaros do where the trans will be.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What we did was sat the engine and trans further back by cutting into the fire wall and floor of the car. The pass side of the car will have a similar "hump" as the camaros do where the trans will be.
ah, sounds good.
any pics?

Quick Reply: Lt1 into a mercedes 1990 180e