Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 RX7 slowly in progress

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 06:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 RX7 slowly in progress

Hey guys, I'm pretty new to the forum. I just got my LS1, and am starting this great conversion. I was hoping some of you guys that have gone through this could give me heads up on any "bumps in the road" I might encounter. It seems pretty straightforward; I'm just looking for some heads ups. Thanks! I'll be lurking as always.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:54 AM
On The Tree

nothin?
Old 08-17-2005, 07:39 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.torquecentral.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11
Have you been to that forum. I did the LS1/ RX7 swap in my FC. For a start, look ahead. Where to mount the PCU, whether to run the air intake from left or right. That will make a difference in the cooling setup. Put the heater hoses on before putting the engine in, it'll be a lot easier. Cut out some of the lip on the firewall where the heater hoses go and about 6 inches right behind the engine to make accesss to the PVC hoses easier. Best to lower the engine in the bay to see what needs to be done then take it out so you can climb in to work.
Old 08-17-2005, 08:03 AM
On The Tree

the last time someone gave em that link, the site was down or something. As per the cooling system, I was considering keeping the stock, radiator, heater hose, etc. I understand roataries run pretty hot. Would the stock radiator, or a TurboII radiator provide sufficinet cooling for head/cam'd LS1?
Old 08-17-2005, 08:20 AM
10 Second Club

good luck. i wouldn't use that stock radiator. step it up in cooling dept definately.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:55 AM
Launching!

There are a couple of "bubbels" in the forward part of the tranny tunnel that will have to be cut out for a T56. And the link does work. I visit that forum every day.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:10 PM
Restricted User

Hey 2MCHPWR, where did you get that switch that mounts on your shifter? I've been looking for something like that. Thanks for the help.

Sorry for the
Old 08-17-2005, 09:08 PM
On The Tree

2mchpwr, what radiator did you go with?

would a 3-pound hammer take care of those tunnel bubbles?

Thanks guys!
Old 08-18-2005, 07:39 AM
Launching!

Yea, guess a hammer would take care of them.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:46 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=22

Check out the RX7 in the above link. We added an ATI ProCharger '04 GTO supercharger to this LS1 equipped RX7. 563 rwhp on our Mustang Chassis Dyno! Bob
Old 08-18-2005, 09:32 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by NOSjohn
Hey 2MCHPWR, where did you get that switch that mounts on your shifter? I've been looking for something like that.
That’s the normal switch that comes with hurst line loc. It rattled so much I removed it and used radio shack switch on the center console instead.

Originally Posted by LS1FC3
2mchpwr, what radiator did you go with?
That is the hinson supplied radiator:
http://www.hinsonsupercars.com/CoolingSystem.htm
Old 08-18-2005, 09:41 AM
Restricted User

Thanks for the info. !
Old 08-18-2005, 12:07 PM
TECH Regular

hiya! welcome aboard man!
I dont think a hammer will move those tranny buldges out enough, I used a cutting wheel on a dremel, but Rx-Ben used a sawzall reciprocating blade for his and it was even faster that way.

the time consuming part of my LS1FC swap was making stuff myself, like finding the right rad. hoses, making rad.brackets, fuel hose routing, intake plumbing, clutch master setup, etc., but its not much work really.

what are you buying for the swap ands what are you gonna make by yourself?
Old 08-18-2005, 01:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

A summit racing radiator is the cheapest way to get a good performing setup. I got mine for like 140 on sale. I made the brackets out of rubber grommets and aluminum stock, took me about 2 hours total (including fan bracekts).

The fan from an early 90s Ford Taurus fits well, and is cheap/powerful.

Radiator hoses are easy. Just go to Napa and get the flex-fit ones, they have tons of lengths and different ends available. Like 10 bucks each.

Sawzall for sure on the tranny tunnel. Takes 45 seconds per side that way. Just make sure you seal it up when you're done. Rust sucks.

And ExoticPerformancePlus sure likes to pimp the car that they didn't do the swap on an awful lot.
Old 08-18-2005, 03:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by owen v8litew8
hiya! welcome aboard man!
I dont think a hammer will move those tranny buldges out enough, I used a cutting wheel on a dremel, but Rx-Ben used a sawzall reciprocating blade for his and it was even faster that way.

the time consuming part of my LS1FC swap was making stuff myself, like finding the right rad. hoses, making rad.brackets, fuel hose routing, intake plumbing, clutch master setup, etc., but its not much work really.

what are you buying for the swap ands what are you gonna make by yourself?
Yeah, after looking at the pics of the tunnel on your website, I see what you mean.

As far as what i am buying/making...I haven't decided fully yet. Right now I'm focusing on getting the LS1 built up. I'm not trying to do a total budget project here; just trying to keep the cost lower through things like the cooling system and the driveline (driveshaft, rearend, axles). Most of the money will be put into the motor/tranny. The Hinson parts (other than the mounting equipment) are way too expensive. I can make simple mounts and stuff like that. I have access to a machine shop during school, and I plan to use it as much as I can.

Overall, I want this thing finished within 2.5-3 years. Plenty of time, no rush. The only thing keeping me from getting this done quick is lack of significant income.

Thanks for your help; I've bookmarked your webpage as it is very helpful.

Quick Reply: LS1 RX7 slowly in progress