Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dual tune for and LS1...like a tow/haul but in the PCM not the BCM

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 12:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual tune for and LS1...like a tow/haul but in the PCM not the BCM

I just got off the phone with Jesse Bubb from Wait4MePerformance and after talking it over he ensured me he can dual program the PCM for a more stock program....and on the push of a button turn into a High performance program. It is kinda like the Tow/Haul button on the trucks but instead of going through the BCM to just change the shift points in the tranny....it will actually be a whole different program. I asked him about it because I am putting an 1999 LS1 into a 1994 S10. So I wanted to have one for a more streetable/highway tune....and then one for a Hell Break loose tune. For those of you who want to be able to control what type of tune you have....for those daily drivers wanting to still have that streetable tune....this is perfect. Just flip a switch and back to stock it goes.

Moderator Edit: Please refrain from discussing pricing of non-sponsoring vendors. This is our policy here at LS1Tech. Didsussion of services rendered is ok just keep pricing out of it. Take it to PM or contact the vender directly.

Thanks,

Last edited by Scooter70; 10-20-2005 at 06:48 AM. Reason: Non-sponsor pricing is not allowed. Sorry.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:48 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thats what he did for my pcm. All I had to do was provide a momentary ground to one of the pcm pins (don`t remember which one off hand) to get into the second mode. I do not remember if mine is actually a completely different program but it changes the shift points, torque management, and converter lockup, I think that it uses the same ignition advance tables in both modes. Sure is cool though, Jesse
Old 10-19-2005, 09:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like he's enabling/disabling the "Performance shift" feature. Changes line pressures, shift points, and I believe touches on the fuel/spark tables. So it can be enabled in the LS1 PCM eh? I use it a lot in my Grand Prix GTP (which has it stock). I may have to look into this...
Old 10-19-2005, 09:49 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey guys enlighten me on this topic. Is this on the fly switching or do you have to shut off the car to enable/disable the different tunes? Does anyone know how this is done and what is actually happening in the PCM?

IF the PCM is capable already with multiple modes can each mode be tuned to exact settings or are the results only shift points as in towing? I never heard of this possibility.

I like to hear more. Is this possible with tuning the PCM ones self?
Old 10-19-2005, 10:00 PM

It is on the fly switching, the computer always reverts back to the normal mode when I shut the car off. After I start the car if I want to put it into the tow mode I just push a button that momentarliy grounds a pin on the pcm, and it goes into the tow mode. If I want to go back from the tow to regular I just push the button again.

I think it would be possible to set up a program like this yourself.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

This sounds very cool. How far does the second tune go? Could you have an SD tune and an MAF tune? Or use it as a valet mode to limit speed or RPM? A N2O tune and a regular tune? The possibilities are very far reaching.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:48 AM
Teching In

Does he have to redue your wire harness, or can he just program the computer and you add the switch?
Old 10-20-2005, 08:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 6shooter
Does he have to redue your wire harness, or can he just program the computer and you add the switch?
most likely, you'll need to be able to ground a pin thats not currently in your harness.

you can do it pretty easily if you have a pin to slip there... so say, if you disconnected CAGS, EGR, AIR, or anything else you're not using, you could take that pin/wire and move it to another spot on the connector (its EASY to do)

then use that wire.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:57 AM

I only had jesse tune my computer, I did my own harness mods. All that I had to do was to put in one extra wire, I needed to provide a momentary ground to pin 71 blue. I don`t know howfar the tune goes, but I know that he put a speed density and MAF tune in my computer, if the MAF fails or is unplugged it reverts to SD.
Old 10-20-2005, 02:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah all it takes is a momentary ground in pin 71 blue and it will switch between the 2 settings. Only thing is...when the car is turned off....it will revert back to the original #1 tune....or the tune he has as default #1. So the #2 tune can only be used after startup...and yes it is a on the fly switch. The computer will just switch to the other tune. And as from what Jesse and I discussed...he can make 2 completely different tunes.....as per say in my understanding...yes a tune for NO2 and Reg....or I am sure there can be like a valet mode also....anything it seems can be done with this setup.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have tuning software, look at your "performance" section, that should be that part of the tune being discussed here-
Old 05-16-2006, 11:17 PM
Launching!

Default Wanted to bring this back up for discussion...

I have EFILive and I was wondering if I can activate this dual mode myself and make all the tune changes myself. Anyone done this on your own?

My PCM is from a 2002 full size truck 4x4, 1500 1/2 ton LQ4 6.0 Liter V8 at least that is what the vin goes to as read by EFILive. Is there any special features there because it is a truck PCM like tow mode or something?
Old 05-16-2006, 11:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

subscribing.
Old 05-17-2006, 01:08 AM
8 Second Club

need .... more ....INFO!
Old 05-17-2006, 02:24 PM
TECH Junkie

this is interesting. seems like this would work really well for a nitrous car. have a N/A tune and a nitrous tune with less timing and maybe a tad richer. or a street tune with lower shift settings and rev limiter, then a track tune with much more aggressive shirfting and much higher rev limiter
Old 05-17-2006, 09:05 PM
Launching!

What about wiring two PCMs in, with a toggle switch to choose which sends the info? I remember reading about this one time or another, it seems pretty neat to me.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:07 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by flatlander757
What about wiring two PCMs in, with a toggle switch to choose which sends the info? I remember reading about this one time or another, it seems pretty neat to me.
That would take alot of contacts to switch over everything from one PCM to the other. Wouldn't be easier to just unplug one PCM and plug up the other PCM? If you know your going to the races plug up the one tuned for racing, if your going on a cruise plug up the one tuned for cruise. If your cruising to a race then take them both along.

How about just take the laptop and flash the PCM with the approriate tune.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

dunno if i'd want to try and hide 2 pcm's.. and if one can hold multiple programs, why not use that?
Old 05-17-2006, 10:14 PM
TECH Junkie

i can reflash my computer in 2 min, but a switch would make things really easy
Old 05-17-2006, 10:15 PM
Launching!

Default Clarifications.....

Ok lets run down the list.

In order to have a dual tune one must flash a Custom OS?

The tunes are switchable back and forth on the fly with a pushbutton wired from a ground into pin 71 on the computer, and when the car is shut off it will revert to the first tune?

Both tunes can be totally independent of one another and full tunes?

Is there any limitations like the computer will have to relearn sensors when switching tunes or anything like that?

Is there anything else to know about custom tunes and/or dual tunes?
The following users liked this post:
Sticker (12-15-2020)

Quick Reply: Dual tune for and LS1...like a tow/haul but in the PCM not the BCM