Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do the gauge clusters have seperate gauges or is it all in one set up?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2002, 11:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,454 Likes on 1,008 Posts

Default Do the gauge clusters have seperate gauges or is it all in one set up?

Do the gauge clusters have seperate gauges or is it all in one set up?

I've wondered about "after doing an LS1 swap" how the gauges might be set up in the "new cars" dash from the donor car.

Anyone know or have pictures of the back of the cluster?

In other words, how much hassle is swapping in the gauges from the LS1 car into something like Third Gen Camaro? Any know any details?

Thanks
Old 04-24-2002, 10:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Do the gauge clusters have seperate gauges or is it all in one set up?

I've got picks of the back of the gauge cluster. I'll send them to you in email.
Old 04-24-2002, 10:16 PM

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Do the gauge clusters have seperate gauges or is it all in one set up?

Why go through the hassle? I just used my OEM gauges when I did mine.
Old 04-25-2002, 07:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

I can use the original gauges?!

For oil pressure, gas and alternator etc?

I thought the digital gauge cluster made that impossible. How do you tie in?

I'm thinking about doing this in my 72 Vette, but the tach is driven off of the distrubtor. How would I work around that? I want the tach and speed-o to work. The speed-o is mechanical driven how would I hook that up to a 4L60e?

I know these are pretty ignornate questions on my part but I want to understand what I'd get into before I jump not after.

Thanks again for the help guys.
Old 04-26-2002, 12:07 AM
Conversion master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As for the vette, you could give Abbot Enterprises a call. They have a Cable-X box that will convert the electronic speed signal from the computer to a mechanical cable drive that allows you to use your speedometer. It is easily adjustable so you can calibrate it.
They also have an Electronic Ratio Adapter that you can use for your tach signal. You will have to get an electric tach from a 75-77 vette and us it in conjunction with the ERA. This is also adjustable for calibration.

<small>[ April 25, 2002, 12:13 PM: Message edited by: 70 LS1 ]</small>
Old 04-26-2002, 08:02 AM
On The Tree

Autometer makes a programmable speedo for cars with electronic speed sensors, and most tach's should work with LS1's, just see their tech page for tips on hooking it up (must set for a 4 cylinder).

I'd like to get more info on setting up gauges as well, for the 5.3 install into my Jeep. If at all possible, I'd like to keep my stock Jeep gauge cluster. I'm sure others would like to use the stock gauge cluster out of whatever vehicle they are installing the new motor into.

As far as I've seen so far, I believe there is some sort of interface box that the stock Fbody gauge cluster uses. If so, we may be outta luck, unless we could get one to use.

Brian Green
89 TTA
Old 04-26-2002, 08:50 AM
9 Second Club/LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can use the gauges you want by substituting the sending units onto the LS1 engine that is compatible with your gauges. If using GM gauges, the oil press. sending unit is already compatible. Just take the wire from the sending unit to your gauge. The computer is not using that signal so you are free to do with it what you want.
For water temp., if using GM gauges, use the 3 wire sending unit from the 98 Z28. The 3rd wire is for the gauge. The other 2 wires are the coolant temp for the PCM. 98 was the only year they did it that way.
For 99 GM went to a weird serial data method of obtaining water temp from the PCM signal and sending it to the gauge cluster. That's why the 99 and up cars are so inaccurate on the gauge.
If adding a water temp sending unit for aftermarket gages, you can use the hole at the back of the passenger side head. Since the threads are odd on the LS1's (straight thread with copper washer) we break off the original oil press. sensor, drill and tap for 1/8" NPT, and use the sending unit that matches the gage. You can do the same thing for water temp on passenger side head. Unscrew plug, drill hole in plug, weld on 1/8" NPT sleeve, and screw in your own sending unit. Someone makes this adapter (Equus?), but many have said it breaks off easily in the head. Just don't bother the original coolant temp sensor in the drivers side head (unless switching to the 98 3 wire version), because this is one of the main sensors for the PCM.

91 Z28 LS2 408CI, LS9 Supercharger, LPE GT7 cam, Yank3000, 3450 raceweight.
Latest numbers: 9.71 ET, 141.42 MPH, 1.40 60' , 610 RWHP Mustang Dyno

www.speartech.com
Old 04-26-2002, 08:24 PM
Launching!

Well that is useful info for me. I think I got a 98 cluster from Josh, but my motor is a 99. I prob'ly would've spent days trying to figure out what was wrong.

You da man.

(I'm out of money and am hacking apart a FBody guage cluster in order to create hybrid guages - glueing the turny parts to the back of the stock Datsun faces. Clever? Retarded? White-trash hack-job? Yes.)
Old 04-27-2002, 09:16 AM
On The Tree

Let me know how your 'hack' job goes and be sure to send me a picture. I've been thinking of doing a 'hack' job to my Astro AWD dash just to get a 'Tach'. My biggest problem is not the interface with the 94 dash, the problem is getting the proper signal (half the speedo signal) to send to the cruise control and ABS box. GM did some weird things in the Astro electrics as I read it. They took the VSS signal and fed it to the VSSBuffer. They then fed a 4K signal to the Speedo which drives the speedo/odometer and then cut the 4K signal in half to drive the cruise and PCM units. Actually I think it's a pulsing ground signal that drives all these things. In any case, I ran the VSS signal to the LS1 PCM and fed the 4K pulse from there to the speedo so the tranny and speedo would work, but I am at a loss on how to get the cruise and ABS to work short of installing another VSS on the output shaft and feeding the VSSBuffer it's own signal. I just hate the thought of butchering the tailshaft housing on the transfer case.
Old 04-28-2002, 09:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Wow!

I think I've learned more on this thread than all the searchs and reading, I've done so far about gauge clusters.

Thanks for info.

Are their more details it would be good to know?
Old 05-08-2002, 08:15 AM
On The Tree

I just ordered an adapter to fit a coolant sensor sender in the unused plug on the passenger head from Hydraulic Supply Co. Here's a page with a few links about those type of fittings: http://www.xse.com/leres/ss/gaugepod.html

Also modified a couple of the stock oil pressure senders to work with aftermarket gauge senders by doing as John mentioned above. Seems to work out fine, thanks.

Found another company that makes a few nifty parts that may or may not help people:
www.dakotadigital.com

They make a universal tachometer adapter as well as universal speedometer adapter, that may help adapting LS1 parts to another car's gauges. Also have gear indicators that can be integrated to the 4L60E's, might be trick for the dash of a hotrod.

Brian Green
89 TTA
2001 Jeep TJ
Old 04-22-2003, 12:39 AM
Launching!

Well, my hack-job was a complete waste of time. Lots of time. Oil pressure worked, right up until I actually installed the gauge in the dash, then it stopped. Dunno why. None of the other gauges would work. So, I gave up and melted my credit card on some autometer electric gauges.

I don't see how you could use this elec. sender in that spot behind the manifold. I can't get it to fit in the oil filter/unused oil temp location either - exhaust is in the way. Sucker is big and FAT. I'm going to have to use a 90 or 45 fitting. Then I have to worry about making sure the fitting is tight and leak free, yet ends up pointing it's elbo in the correct direction.

Tried drilling and tapping the plug from the pass. side head for temp. Broke the damn thing. Ordered the Equus adapters. Sure hope those don't break.

Quick Reply: Do the gauge clusters have seperate gauges or is it all in one set up?