ls1 oil pan - $400
ls1 engine - $2000
4l60e - reuse s10 or used
headers - $330 or custom
exhaust - $600, no cats, SLP loud mouth
dual 12" E-Fans - $300
wiring - $500
vette radiator - $130
im probly missing something add to it guys.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:40 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by firefighter
ZZ4 you got lucky as HELL! I had been looking for well over a year had as many as 3 yards looking for me and all of them never could identify the damn things thats why I went the full size truck route it gives me an excuse to buy better axels any ways. I hope it'll put up a good fight when I'm done with this project 'cause I've decided to go 6-speed.
I know, even more so for the price. I really wanted to find an 8.5". Im also running a 6 speed, and eventually will be putting some decent power down through it. I was running a mini spool for a while, and ended up sheering it in half on a 1-2 shift.

Theres a guy on ebay thats frequently got them, but he's out of florida, and I wasn't paying to ship a rear all the way up to ohio.

BTW, for those that are still shooting to find one, I took some comparison pictures between my 7.5 and 8.5" to identify it.

Hope it helps out some.
http://www.blazinlow.com/forum/showt...threadid=42856
Old 12-30-2005, 06:15 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The issue with the power steering with F-body accessories isn't the frame clearance, it is the steering box in the truck. You can't notch the steering box, so your next choice is either to have the engine sit really high which will throw off the drive-line angle, or get Vette accessories.
Where are you getting the wiring done for $500?

Don't forget fuel lines, radiator hoses, heater hoses, A/C lines, computer program, throttle cable, cruise control cable, paying someone to weld up the notches in the frme for the A/C and oil pan, gaskets, some kind of intake plumbing and filter, and probably some otherthings I am forgetting.

See if this might help... http://www.v8s10s.com/lid1.html
Old 12-30-2005, 11:18 AM
On The Tree

Wow... lol! Ok, I have a '98 S-10 with an LT1 swapped in it, and am currently going to drop in an LS1 now. But from my experience you can def. count on spending much more than you plan.

But it all depends on if you want to do things once..or if you want to do it over and over again down the line.

You need things like: Oil pan - accessories for the engine - sensors for the engine - PCM - wiring harness - fuel lines - fuel fittings - your trans will need to be built or you'll need to buy a good one - maybe your driveshaft shortened (this depends on trans) - Traction bars (trust me ) - you'll need to make up a custom air intake - motor mounts - manifolds or headers (Sanderson headers work well) - the rest of the exhaust - tuning - perhaps a new rad (i used the Be Cool, the vette rad wouldn't cut it with over 400 HP) - electric fans - rad hoses - trans cooler and oil cooler hoses - an aftermarket trans cooler - relocating the battery to the rear is a good idea for room...

And depending on what your gonna use it for their are even more things to buy.... for example if you drag race it, driveshaft loop - you might want certain gauges like a trans temp, or maybe a larger tach with shift light - slicks - skinnies for the front - drag rims - adjustable shocks ...

This can pretty much go on forever..... LOL! so you see it all depends on the quality you want and what you really plan on using it for. for a good street toy, you'll need most of what i put in the first section there... but i'm positive you'll still find more stuff you'll need.

Just do it right the first time, take my word for it. And as for the rear end issue... from my own experience i have about 170 passes on my 7.5" rear end that i put an Auburn posi into before it finally broke... that's about 2 and a half years of racing and daily driving on it with an automatic trans. So they can last for a bit. But eventually they will break.

have fun!
Old 12-30-2005, 12:17 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ZZ4Blazer
I know, even more so for the price. I really wanted to find an 8.5". Im also running a 6 speed, and eventually will be putting some decent power down through it. I was running a mini spool for a while, and ended up sheering it in half on a 1-2 shift.

Theres a guy on ebay thats frequently got them, but he's out of florida, and I wasn't paying to ship a rear all the way up to ohio.

BTW, for those that are still shooting to find one, I took some comparison pictures between my 7.5 and 8.5" to identify it.

Hope it helps out some.
http://www.blazinlow.com/forum/showt...threadid=42856
hey you guys may want to check out www.s10forum.com
that guy on ebay as s10warehouse you are refering to is a member of that site and goes by s10warehouse. he may cut you a deal on shipping or somthing.
Old 12-30-2005, 12:45 PM
Teching In

Default 8.5 Rear axle

I picked up a 2 wheel drive 2000 Blazer rear axle with disc brakes and Posi traction in a 3.42 ratio for $ 400.00 plus shipping from Car-Part.com. Its a direct bolt in for the trucks.
Old 12-31-2005, 07:34 PM
TECH Addict

this one guy a 97 blazer didnt do anything except relocate the alt and everything is fine. and 1baddime i pretty much listed everything major u said already. im expecting all the hoses put that stuff is pretty cheap relative to everything else. painless makes a harness for around 550 and this other company specializes in s10 swaps. im not getting traction bars until i need em and my stock trans will hold up fine to a stock ls1. and i was listing the basic ls1 swap stuff, im not doing a high power engine yet, im saving up and gonna do all the stuff needed later on. thanks for all the help. ps. s10warehouse doesnt ship to alaska.
Old 01-01-2006, 02:36 AM
On The Tree

depending on what year your truck is the painless is not gonna work, and the 4L60 from a s10 won't bolt up to a LS1.
Old 01-01-2006, 04:06 PM
TECH Addict

i contacted them and they said they could do it. ive had a dozen ppl tell me 4 or 5 diff things about my 4l60e and the ls1. some say u just need another hole, others say u need an adapter, etc. do you know this absolutely for sure?? it would be good to hear from a fellow mini on this.
Old 01-01-2006, 04:24 PM
TECH Resident

You contacted who that said they could do what?
If you mean Painless making you a harness, they will sell you an off the shelf LS1 harness that will make the engine start and run. Actually making it integrate in to your truck, i.e. making your stock gauges, ABS, cruise cntrol, etc. work will be left up to you. I have heard people on s10forum do the same thing with a newer truck and regret it.
Old 01-01-2006, 05:10 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by XtremeDime
i contacted them and they said they could do it. ive had a dozen ppl tell me 4 or 5 diff things about my 4l60e and the ls1. some say u just need another hole, others say u need an adapter, etc. do you know this absolutely for sure?? it would be good to hear from a fellow mini on this.
go to s10forum.com and in the V8 section there are plenty of people running LS1s in their s10's. most of them use the camaro 4L60E.
Old 01-01-2006, 05:35 PM
On The Tree

What I'm telling you is first hand experience. I didn't listen when people told me. GM makes 3 4l60e tranny's: one that doesn't have a removeable bellhousing and 2 that has a removeable bellhousing. One of those is designed for LSX series and the other for s-10, astro vans, and full size trucks with the 4.3. If you want to use your tranny then this is what you have 2 do(b/c this is what I did) change the bellhousing to a LSX bellhousing, the input shaft, and stator(friend of mine works at a tranny shop).

Another 1st hand experience: I ordered the painless harness, like I stated early depending on your year model you may have a BCM which controls things such as fuel pump, shifting into gears, fan kick up/down, etc. The painless is a standalone system which means your BCM can't read off your PCM which in turn means no fuel no start, etc. So what I did was send my painless harness and my 4.3 harness to speedscene wiring and they married my 2 harness together, so I'm running 2 PCM. Trust me I called every wiring company around even painless and when I mentioned BCM nobody had an answer for me b/c everybody runs a standalone system.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-01-2006, 05:38 PM
TECH Resident

2 PCM's? What year truck? the 98-up trucks run just fine with the LS1 PCM if the wiring is done right. (1st hand experience)
Old 01-01-2006, 05:43 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ls6jimmy
What I'm telling you is first hand experience. I didn't listen when people told me. GM makes 3 4l60e tranny's: one that doesn't have a removeable bellhousing and 2 that has a removeable bellhousing. One of those is designed for LSX series and the other for s-10, astro vans, and full size trucks with the 4.3. If you want to use your tranny then this is what you have 2 do(b/c this is what I did) change the bellhousing to a LSX bellhousing, the input shaft, and stator(friend of mine works at a tranny shop).

Another 1st hand experience: I ordered the painless harness, like I stated early depending on your year model you may have a BCM which controls things such as fuel pump, shifting into gears, fan kick up/down, etc. The painless is a standalone system which means your BCM can't read off your PCM which in turn means no fuel no start, etc. So what I did was send my painless harness and my 4.3 harness to speedscene wiring and they married my 2 harness together, so I'm running 2 PCM. Trust me I called every wiring company around even painless and when I mentioned BCM nobody had an answer for me b/c everybody runs a standalone system.

Just my 2 cents.
try Jarred at current perfomance.com he will make the harness THANKS
Old 01-01-2006, 05:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Jones'n
2 PCM's? What year truck? the 98-up trucks run just fine with the LS1 PCM if the wiring is done right. (1st hand experience)

Yes 2 4.3/LS1 PCM, 2001 GMC Jimmy, speedscene wiring did do my harness right.(plus my truck is fully load, by that I mean my whole truck is power everything and the BCM controls that to and I would like to have my power windows in the summer.)
Old 01-01-2006, 05:59 PM
TECH Resident

Still doesn't need 2 PCM's.
Old 01-01-2006, 06:12 PM
12 Second Club

no it dosent. your 4.3 PCM will run the LS1 engine. all you have to do is have your wiring harness added 2 injectors and other various cylnder specific wiring added to it. provided its 99+
Old 01-01-2006, 06:12 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bww3588
no it dosent. your 4.3 PCM will run the LS1 engine. all you have to do is have your wiring harness added 2 injectors and other various cylnder specific wiring added to it. provided its 99+
Who in the world told you that?
Old 01-01-2006, 08:14 PM
TECH Addict

current performance thats the one. im practically a resident at s10forum, been on there for close to 3 years now. i posted a thing about the 4l60e there and no one knew the answer. i heard that the s10 computer works fine with the ls1. so i can use my stock tranny? why did u tell me i couldnt earlier?
Old 01-01-2006, 08:39 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ls6jimmy
Yes, there are several different 4L60E / 700R4 variants, including ones with removeable bellhousings. However, the difference is basically a .400" thick crank spacer, and a bolt hole or two that you just don't use. FYI, a 700R4, TH350, TH400, and Powerglide all can be made to work just fine with an LS1. GM didn't create a new bellhousing bolt pattern, they just added to it slightly.

'JustDreamin'

Quick Reply: s10 ls1ers