Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reverse drivetrain direction

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 12:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reverse drivetrain direction

A friend of mine is trying to put a vette motor/transaxle in a corvair.
It occured to him that if the motor/transaxle are facing backwards he will be able to go very fast backwards but not so fast forwards. How would you change the direction of the drivetrain. I don't know if reversing the firing order would work because it's computer controlled car. Could you change the coil packs around?

Ben
Old 02-24-2006, 12:55 PM
Teching In

Sorry, I posted this in the wrong forum. I don't know how to move it.
Maybe ab Admin can help...

Ben
Old 02-24-2006, 01:12 PM
TECH Addict

Firing order would have nothing to do with the direction the car moves. The crankshaft would still spin in the same direction. It's all in the tranny.
Old 02-24-2006, 01:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Maybe dumb comment, and don't know if it's even possible, but could you flip the ring gear to the opposite side of the differential (basically turn the posi around the other way)? Probably wouldn't fit... but that would reverse the direction of rotation on the rear wheels.
Old 02-24-2006, 02:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Besides the ignition timing, you would have to consider the valve event timing too. (that's if the pcm would even handle a reluctor wheel turning backwards).

And reversing the rotation of the water pump, alternator, etc.

Flipping the diff over sounds like the easiest way.
Old 02-24-2006, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bens3rdgen
A friend of mine is trying to put a vette motor/transaxle in a corvair.
It occured to him that if the motor/transaxle are facing backwards he will be able to go very fast backwards but not so fast forwards. How would you change the direction of the drivetrain. I don't know if reversing the firing order would work because it's computer controlled car. Could you change the coil packs around?

Ben
If it's a C5 transaxle he's basically screwed. An automatic only works in one direction, and I'm not sure if the T56 will work properly running in reverse. The correct way is to reverse the direction in the final drive by flipping the ring gear to the other side of the pinion as Camarohlic suggested, but I don't think that's possible with the C5 transaxle.

Reversing an LS1 is a challenge. I don't think reverse rotaton cam cores are available as they are for SBC and BBC engines used in boats and sprint cars.

FWIW, if you put the C5 engine/transaxle in backwards even with the engine directly coupled to the transaxle, the engine would be almost completely outside the car. You'd need wheelie bars just to support it.

A possible conversion is to use an old THM 425 transaxle from early Olds Toronado. It's strong enough, as basically it's a reverse-rotation THM 400. It puts the engine in the rear seat area which isn't all bad. CG is a little high but nothing a roof airscoop won't solve.

There were SBC V8 conversion kits which used the Corvair transaxle, but it's not very strong. Crown made the kits, I believe.

FWIW, the original VW Beetle swing axle transaxles could easily be reversed by flipping the ring gear, but VW designed them that way. Any old VW geezers here WHO remember why the ring gear could be swapped? An old Hippie might know why.
Old 02-24-2006, 03:16 PM
Teching In

You guys are awsome. That's all the info I needed.
Thx.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:12 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Old SStroker
... Any old VW geezers here WHO remember why the ring gear could be swapped? An old Hippie might know why.
Did someone call for a hippy/geezer?
<Ahem>: That would be to permit the VW van to enjoy 4 forward gears and only one for reverse, since it used a single drop gear at the rear hubs to raise the numerical final drive ratio and improve ground clearance. Thus its axle shafts turned backwards as it drove forwards.
Many a VW transmission swapper learned of this idiosyncrasy the hard way...
Old 02-24-2006, 11:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MadBill
Did someone call for a hippy/geezer?
<Ahem>: That would be to permit the VW van to enjoy 4 forward gears and only one for reverse, since it used a single drop gear at the rear hubs to raise the numerical final drive ratio and improve ground clearance. Thus its axle shafts turned backwards as it drove forwards.
Many a VW transmission swapper learned of this idiosyncrasy the hard way...
You ARE old.

It made it easy to swap a Corvair into a V-bub based dune buggy also. Germans made their engine run backward...or was that the Corvair?
Old 02-25-2006, 10:14 AM
TECH Regular

Flipping the gear also beat hanging the '61 Buick aluminum V-8 out the back of my '52 split window Beetle.
PS: It turns out Porsche trannys of the era didn't share this capability. (Don't ask me how I know this. )
Old 02-27-2006, 12:52 PM
Teching In

Which tranny were you using? I take it you broke it?
Old 03-27-2006, 05:52 PM
11 Second Club

Why don't you put it in the front?
A local guy has an L98 in his 69 Corvair on a Monte Carlo chasis.
He is in the process of making it into an LS1 car. He also has a 12 bolt in it.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

A possible conversion is to use an old THM 425 transaxle from early Olds Toronado. It's strong enough, as basically it's a reverse-rotation THM 400. It puts the engine in the rear seat area which isn't all bad. CG is a little high but nothing a roof airscoop won't solve.
The TH-425 is a chain driven TH-400. It bolts to the back of the engine the same way as a TH-400 but has a chain that drives the trans. It bolts up alongside the engine and the axle from the final drive pass under the oil pan of the engine. This all puts the engine facing forward ahead of/ over top the trans. I wanted to put one in the back of my Monza after seeing a Vega with a 455 in the hatch.

Bill
Old 03-28-2006, 08:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ski doo snowmobiles get their engines to stop and rotate in the opposite direction in order to go in reverse

...Get your engine to rotate in the opposite direction?
Old 03-28-2006, 08:15 PM
Launching!

Consider a Porsche transmission? Google Factory Five Racing for info.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:15 PM
TECH Resident

Reverse rotation engines are quite common in some dirt track applications where the rotation of the motor helps pin the LR tire on the surface..I have a friend who builds these thigs he shop in called "Reverse Racing" A special crank ,cam and oil system is required as well as a special ring and pinion for a quick change or 9inch which isnt that hard to come buy..however for a C5 I'd be willing to bet your screwed and as far as running helical cut trans gears you might run into some issues there as well straight cut gears wouldnt be an issue...
Old 03-28-2006, 09:17 PM
On The Tree

Uh why not the new Pontiac Grand Prix V8 FWD transplanted in back?

--JMarsa

Last edited by jmarsa; 03-28-2006 at 09:50 PM.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:23 PM
On The Tree

i remember this one...the corvair engine sits with the front of the old engine towards the rear of the car. i.e. a rear engine rwd car. when they put the sbcs in them the sbc faces the front...and so the reverse spin of the motor doesnt matter all the while converting the car to a tru mid engine setup...at least thats what i remember. read up on the corvair v8 swap i think it says it somewhere at the site where they sell the kits. im not sure what mods youd have to do to the body/chassis but it would be a bad ************ in the end with the engine in the middle of the car.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:52 AM
TECH Resident

......all of this makes my head hurt!
Old 03-29-2006, 11:54 AM
On The Tree

[QUOTE=00transamnh]Ski doo snowmobiles get their engines to stop and rotate in the opposite direction in order to go in reverseQUOTE]
those are two stroke engines no valve train to deal with

Quick Reply: Reverse drivetrain direction