Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VSS in Muncie 4 speed

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 03:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default VSS in Muncie 4 speed

Ok I am hard headed and had to have a Muncie behind the LS1 in my '62 Nova. I also had to have a VSS so the PCU would be complete. If anyone else is even remotely interested let me know and I will PM the story to you. Maybe I should have just used the 6 speeed but.....
Old 05-31-2006, 04:16 PM
On The Tree

I'd be interested in what you did. Why not post it up on the board, that way someone in the future could make use of it?
Old 05-31-2006, 04:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Let me get the file size down to the limit and I will do it.
Old 05-31-2006, 06:44 PM
On The Tree

Default very interested

i am very interested i need this info to get my ls1 in my boat thanks ahead of time scott
Old 06-01-2006, 05:29 AM
Staging Lane

Yep, I could do with the VSS info as well! Post your project up ....now!
Old 06-01-2006, 10:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default VSS install directions

Installing a 40 tooth reluctor and VSS in a Muncie 4 speed
If you have a need to install a 40 tooth reluctor and VSS in a Muncie 4 speed (the one I modified was the later series Muncie 4 speed with the standard size output shaft) it can be done pretty painlessly. The output housing actually has enough room in it with slight modification to house a Jaguars That Run (Stealth Technologies) 40 tooth reluctor kit. By using Stealth Part number 4L60-003 reluctor ring kit for 1.30" i.d output shafts and a making a bushing to adapt it to the Muncie 1.162" o.d. output shaft you have a durable and correct 40 tooth reluctor. The kit fits between the speedometer gear and the reverse gear on the output shaft.

I found that making the bushing out of 1/16" X 1" aluminum stock was easy and nearly the exact .038" was taken up. I was careful to be sure that the entire circumference of the space was filled up to make the installation strong. I formed the shim around an appropriate sized socket. The clamp of the reluctor adapter squeezes squarely on the shim tightly. I mounted the reluctor as far up front as possible since that is where the room is in the housing. Be sure to leave enough room for the reverse shift lever to move unobstructed but it doesn't need a lot of room since the lever has a hard stop.

The tail housing must have some of a strengthening rib removed in order for the reluctor ring adapter to fit. I measured to find out where the toothed part of the adapter stopped and measured and marked it onto the rib. I removed the necessary material and it looked like the picture below.

A bit of the material on top of the rib had to be removed (not shown) in order for the clamp of the reluctor kit to clear. I did not remove the entire rib but just shaved it for clearance. After this modification to the tail housing it fit perfectly with no clearance issues.

Next I carefully measured where the ¾" x 16 tapped hole needed to be drilled to match up with the reluctor ring. There is plenty of material to drill and tap in this location. Drill the appropriate sized hole and tap it for ¾" x 16 threads. To get the ideal ½ turn of clearance for the VSS, I shimmed it appropriately.

By installing the VSS on the passenger side all shifter clearance issues are eliminated. In case I am not the only crazy person to just have to run a Muncie 4 speed behind an LS1 and have all of the PCU functionality I wanted to share so your questions may be answered.

I have a write up with pictures but even after ZIPPING it it was to large to attach. I can PM the entire thing if you ask.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

email me the pics, and i'll resize or do whatevers needed to post them up.
MrDude_1@FastGM.com
Old 06-01-2006, 12:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thumbs up here ya go

Thanks, just emailed it, if i could have just bolted it to the site I could have.....
Old 06-01-2006, 01:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Novas Forver
Thanks, just emailed it, if i could have just bolted it to the site I could have.....
cool, im downloading it and firing up photoshop right now.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:11 PM

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds awesome! Thanks for shaing!
Old 06-01-2006, 01:24 PM
TECH Junkie

i hope its ok, but i put a seperate copy of this is availible at http://www.fastgm.com/vss/ i figured since i put pics there, i might as well put the whole thing.
click any pic to see the fullsize view.

Installing a 40 tooth reluctor and VSS in a Muncie 4 speed
If you have a need to install a 40 tooth reluctor and VSS in a Muncie 4 speed (the one I modified was the later series Muncie 4 speed with the standard size output shaft) it can be done pretty painlessly. The output housing actually has enough room in it with slight modification to house a Jaguars That Run (Stealth Technologies) 40 tooth reluctor kit. By using Stealth Part number 4L60-003 reluctor ring kit for 1.30" i.d output shafts and a making a bushing to adapt it to the Muncie 1.162" o.d. output shaft you have a durable and correct 40 tooth reluctor. The kit fits between the speedometer gear and the reverse gear on the output shaft.

I found that making the shim out of 1/16" X 1" aluminum stock was easy and nearly the exact .038" was taken up. I was careful to be sure that the entire circumference of the space was filled up to make the installation strong. I formed the shim around an appropriate sized socket. The clamp of the reluctor adapter squeezes squarely on the shim tightly. I mounted the reluctor as far up front as possible since that is where the room is in the housing. Be sure to leave enough room for the reverse shift lever to move unobstructed but it doesn't need a lot of room since the lever has a hard stop.

The tail housing must have some of a strengthening rib removed in order for the reluctor ring adapter to fit. I measured to find out where the toothed part of the adapter stopped and measured and marked it onto the rib. I removed the necessary material and it looked like the picture below.

A bit of the material on top of the rib had to be removed (not shown) in order for the clamp of the reluctor kit to clear. I did not remove the entire rib but just shaved it for clearance. After this modification to the tail housing it fit perfectly with no clearance issues.

Next I carefully measured where the ¾" x 16 tapped hole needed to be drilled to match up with the reluctor ring. There is plenty of material to drill and tap in this location. Drill the appropriate sized hole and tap it for ¾" x 16 threads. To get the ideal ½ turn of clearance for the VSS, I shimmed it appropriately.

By installing the VSS on the passenger side all shifter clearance issues are eliminated. In case I am not the only crazy person to just have to run a Muncie 4 speed behind an LS1 and have all of the PCU functionality I wanted to share so your questions may be answered.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Premium, thanks, I hope it helps someone else. Now I should talk about the clutch setup!
Old 06-01-2006, 11:04 PM
Teching In

There is another option for a vss and an old four speed. Use a vss that is driven by the speedo cable and have the computer re-programed to function with the 8000 pulse vss. I'm hoping I will know this weekend how well this will work as I expect my re-programed computer and vss to arrive tomorrow. My tranny is a T18 four speed with the speedo cable originally driven through the dana 20 transfer case in my CJ5. My engine is a 2003 LQ4 6.0L.
Old 06-02-2006, 05:50 AM
Staging Lane

Ace photo`s and write up! Hopefully can apply similar methods to my Tremec TKO11 `box.

Quick Reply: VSS in Muncie 4 speed