Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radiator hose help

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 09:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator hose help

I got my new Griffin radiator today and need some help getting it hooked up. It fits perfectly and this is one of the last things I need to figure out before I can get it started. I did a search and there wasn't anything really clear other than going to the parts store and looking for something that fits. I've enclosed a couple of pics and am hoping someone can point me in the right direction as far as part#s for the hoses. I'm thinking that all of the bottom hoses have to be close and I'm sure the same holds true with the top. Thanks for the help,

Bill[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-31-2006, 05:08 AM
Launching!

Try here....http://www.jagsthatrun.com/
Old 08-31-2006, 09:44 AM
On The Tree

I ended up using corrugated stainless steel radiator hose. Check here

The distance between the engine and radiator is tighter in my Jeep than your Blazer, so these will work nicer for you than they did for me.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a couple pieces of coat hanger and bend them into the shape that you need. Then measure your inlet and outlet diameters. Go to a "real" auto parts store, not one of the ones where they have to ask the year make and model and if it has A/C. There are books from Gates or other suppliers with pictures of hose in them. They are organized by hose diameter, then listed by length. Study the book with your hose inlet measurements, and find hoses with the right length for your application and look at the pictures and see if there is one in the basic shape of your bent coat hanger. You may have to buy a longer hose and trim it for fit. Once you find ones that work, be sure and write down the part numbers for future reference so you don't have to go through this all again. Also for heater hoses, they make formed hoses with 45, 60 and 90 degree bends in them that may help you route your hoses away from the water pump. I used one on mine and it helped me route a hose through a tight spot. A good partsman, or woman, is hard to find, but a treasure when you do!

Hope that helps

Pat
Old 08-31-2006, 10:17 AM
Staging Lane

I did what stu did and the store let me go thru the whole inventory I bought a few that I thought might work when I test fit them all and found the two I needed I got my money back on the others I'm using a griffin too with pass side hook ups but I don't have part #s sorry
Old 09-01-2006, 10:12 AM
TECH Regular

I Did Same as Jeepinpets. Found them on Bay
Old 09-01-2006, 11:48 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jeepinpete
I ended up using corrugated stainless steel radiator hose. Check here

The distance between the engine and radiator is tighter in my Jeep than your Blazer, so these will work nicer for you than they did for me.
This is the real time picture of that set up. Like Jeepinpete said, the Jeep is real tight. This hose can bend into real tight situations and can be purchased in different lengths or get a longer one and it can be cut to size. The one I have is 1ft.
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Radiator hose help-dsc03106.jpg  
Old 09-01-2006, 02:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looks like the stock Tahoe/Escalade/Silverado bottom rad hose will fit.

-Matt
Old 09-04-2006, 05:27 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the input, I ended up cutting the factory upper and it worked great. Then I went to the auto parts store and bought a silverado lower and had to cut about 2 inches of length of it but other than that it is a perfect fit.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey Bill, what model Griffin radiator did you end up going with? Is it a cross-flow/reverse-flow/whatever that is suited to the LS1?

Got any pics of the fitment? What was the cost? I need to order one, I think that's literally the last thing I need to buy other than a steering column
Old 09-28-2006, 12:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ttt...
Old 09-28-2006, 03:50 PM
On The Tree

Shifty,

I just told them that I need one that fit a 72 K/5 and that my old one was a 4 core so they matched it. They told me it is a cross flow even though it has both the supply and return lines on the same side. I also had them build in a engine oil cooler since my motor had all of the plumbing for one.

The fit was perfect but if you have them install an oil cooler have them install it centered in the radiator (height wise) or the tank will be to large on the drivers side to install it without modifying the core support. That's what I had them do to mine.

My only complaint about the whole thing is there is no drain in the radiator. If I'd known that they didn't come standard with one I would have had them put one in.

If you want some pics let me know and I'll take some of whatever you'd like to see.

Bill
Old 09-28-2006, 04:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey Bill, thanks for answering this one I'll hold off on the pics - I am curious though - what did the radiator set you back costwise?

I don't know if I have a 2, 3 or 4 core radiator. the core thickness is 1 3/8". I want to use a stock truck radiator, but been having problems getting an accurate measurement for one. Not sure if the '99+ GMC/Chevy 1500 radiator will work or not.

With regard to the cooler, I won't need one. Don't need a tranny cooler either (running a T56).
Old 09-28-2006, 08:58 PM
On The Tree

No problem, I wish there was more info out there on how to do a swap into a 68-72. My original radiator is about 2 5/8" thick and the new one is pretty close. If you take the radiator cap off and look inside you can see the rows inside, count those and it will tell you how many cores you have.

The cost was not cheap but I wanted one that would fit into the stock location and was getting tired of fabbing parts. If you put a zero on the end of 72 you'll be in the ball park as far as the price.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ouch! Ok, '02 Escalade radiator it is!
Old 09-29-2006, 02:59 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

dont mean to hi-jack this thread but it kinda pisses me off when i hear ignorant people gripe about being asked what year make and model their working on. im a mgr for advance (a real parts store) and the reason you need to ask those questions vary from time to time. i had a reterd the other day tell me he wanted spark plugs for a big block chevy, and when i asked what year etc, he called me stupid and started to threaten to leave. the thing the chump doesnt realize is the parts on the shelf are organized by part number, an im not about too memorize every part number for fun. and since he addimently rufused to tell me anything about it i had to figure out a guess about what year it might be. and since i figured it was an older motor i gave him newer style plugs (the seat is different). the guy came back an hour later pissed (i was laughing inside cuz i did it on purpose) and then his smug attitude started to fade and he proceeded to tell me the year. so i pulled the right plugs off the shelf and showed him the diff .................... he didnt say anything, just got the correct plugs and left. the moral is the guy who is quick to run his mouth and think he knows everything, usually has a lot to learn.

it may have been a little wrong to have fun at a jerks expense, but i bet the next time he walks into ANY auto parts store, just maybe he'll be a little more humble and not be so quick to be an ***.......
Old 09-29-2006, 02:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by leonpiper69
dont mean to hi-jack this thread but it kinda pisses me off when i hear ignorant people gripe about being asked what year make and model their working on. im a mgr for advance (a real parts store) and the reason you need to ask those questions vary from time to time. i had a reterd the other day tell me he wanted spark plugs for a big block chevy, and when i asked what year etc, he called me stupid and started to threaten to leave. the thing the chump doesnt realize is the parts on the shelf are organized by part number, an im not about too memorize every part number for fun. and since he addimently rufused to tell me anything about it i had to figure out a guess about what year it might be. and since i figured it was an older motor i gave him newer style plugs (the seat is different). the guy came back an hour later pissed (i was laughing inside cuz i did it on purpose) and then his smug attitude started to fade and he proceeded to tell me the year. so i pulled the right plugs off the shelf and showed him the diff .................... he didnt say anything, just got the correct plugs and left. the moral is the guy who is quick to run his mouth and think he knows everything, usually has a lot to learn.

it may have been a little wrong to have fun at a jerks expense, but i bet the next time he walks into ANY auto parts store, just maybe he'll be a little more humble and not be so quick to be an ***.......
That guy was looking for a specific part for a specific application! Most time everything I need is not in the computer! They have to look it up in the book anywa. Or they want to know why that engine in that truck isn't in the computer!

But I have used the local Advance Auto parts cause the guys in there I know and are a big help!

Quick Reply: Radiator hose help