Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S10 Swappers - Better Brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 09:12 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S10 Swappers - Better Brakes?

I have stock 1991 S10 front suspension & rotors on my heavy project.
It there an upgrade that can be done using factory parts to keep the
price down? I don't care if it moves the rotor/rim outward. I've looked around the web and nothing jumps out at me. Thanks for any possible ideas.
mv - http://www.enzoco.com/mike/truck/
Old 11-12-2006, 09:48 AM
Staging Lane

Don't have the answer for you, but I have to say, that is a really cool project and I am looking forward to seeing it done!
Old 11-12-2006, 09:58 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The 91 front brakes are single piston. You can swap out those for a double piston S10 Brake from a later truck or blazer. They basically bolt in, with just a slight modification for the brake lines.

The rotor size is the same, just better clamping force. Upgrade the pads and it should stop better.
Old 11-12-2006, 05:13 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks guys. Winter is moving in here in NE Ohio, so time in
the unheated garage will be limited, but I hope to finish before
*next* winter. .
I will look into the dual piston calipers.
Thanks again.
Mikey
Old 11-12-2006, 06:59 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what I undestand is that S-10 for the most part uses the same spindles as G-bodies. If this is the case you should be able to use any of the brake kits available for those cars.

The Blazer brakes are ZQ8's 98 and up . People have adapted LS1 12" and C-5 vette 13"(12.75 actual) brakes on ZQ8 spindles. I believe ZQ8 rotors are 11" and require a hub. It may be easier to get the spindles and everything off of a donor truck.

Other options are aftermarket brakes, C-5 brakes on the stock spindles, or an old school 1LE/Imapla police car brake swap (12" rotors from a third gen camaro 1LE, spindles from a B-body). You could try a hydraulic brake booster to increase clamping pressure instead of the vaccum booster.

The 1LE is what I have on my car. It is a bit of a pain and requires some inovative engineering to tune out some of the bad that comes with larger B-body spindles.
Old 11-12-2006, 07:12 PM
TECH Resident

Mike, I have a couple of ideas for you and some solutions if you are interested.

1) probably the easiest/cheapest but not the best you get the spindles/rotors and calipers off a '98 and up Blazer. 10.5" rotor by about 1.? inch with an iron dual piston Delphi caliper. With good pads it'll stop pretty well and can be had cheap.

2)You can call my friend Ed Miller he's in the Carolinas he can make you about any damn thing you want or need. I personally have the C5 set up on my Blazer on lowered Belltech spindles. Flat out stops like a ****.

Either way you are interested in going give me a pm. I still have my stock set up with like 25K on them or I can give you Ed's number. I also have my rear discs too. lemme know.

Persio.
Old 11-12-2006, 07:16 PM
TECH Resident

Oh and what is that an old Fire Chiefs car?

So you know on price I put the C5 front/LS1 Camaro rear on the Blaze for about a grand.
Old 11-12-2006, 09:51 PM
Staging Lane

Wow! Lots of experience here for sure. Thanks guys. Yes Persio, it's an old Ohio grass-fire truck from the forties. It's Ebay's fault! I was searching late one night, and found the "items nearest me" pull-down menu. The seller of the truck was only 3 miles away from my house. I paid $1800 which was fair, but transport to get it home was cheap. I added 17 inches to a long-bed S10 frame to get it right for long panel body. It has giant wheel-well openings, which means I need to find some really tall (and hopefully inexpensive) tires to fill them. I was hoping the use the little s10 tires, but they looked pretty dumb, as they didn't come close to filling the space.
see: http://www.enzoco.com/mike/truck/p2page5.htm
If I use a taller tire, my stock brakes will be marginal at best, even if it is just slow old supply store weekend type truck. I will try and PM you about the brake hardware from your truck. Thanks, Mike V
Old 11-13-2006, 04:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'd be interested in how to get bigger brakes on the S10 spindles. I run a set of dropped S10 spindles on my Monza with stock 10.5" rotors and single piston calipers. I'd love to be able to stop a lot better. Can you post some pictures? Thanks

Bill
Old 11-13-2006, 06:40 PM
TECH Resident

I replied to both of you guys if you want links and a loooooong thread on brakes go to http://s-seriesforum.com/ and check out the brake section it'll be the top sticky.
Old 11-15-2006, 04:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Just upgrade the knuckle and all to the newer dual piston setup and big rotors on the 01up s-series blazer, swap in a newer disc brake rear and use a proportioning valve for a 78 vet and you are set. That's what I did on my square when I still had it and it work fine. The balljoint sizes and all are the same.

Quick Reply: S10 Swappers - Better Brakes?