Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Price of v8 swap to a v6 2000 blazer?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 03:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Price of v8 swap to a v6 2000 blazer?

Well I have a friend who wants to swap a 5.3/6.0 or other similar v8 into his blazer. Assuming that he had the tranny and engine already, what total cost would he be looking at in the end, after all the fabrication, etc?

Thanks,
-Lurius
Old 12-10-2006, 04:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Extimate spending anywhere from $2,500 to $5,500.
Exhaust Manifolds/headers:
Exhaust system and catalytic converters
Cooling: Radiator and fans
Harness:
Programming PCM:
Driveshaft shortening
Frame modifications to fit A/C compressor
Crossmember modifications for oil pan
Modified oil pan
charge A/C system: $125 ish
Emissions testing: plan on $80-100

Final price depends on who is doing most of the work. Labor for modifying frame, assembling, etc.
Harness is going to be about $700
Programming is going to be in the $500 range (dynotuning $$350-800)
Drive shaft shortening is about $100
Exhaust is from cheap to expensive, depending on whether you go with custom headers or modified 99 F-Body exhaust manifolds to new high flow converters, stainless pipe, or tie into the existing 4.3 exhaust.
Fans are in the $350 range
Radiator: $600 range,

He needs to do his research before jumping in.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:42 PM
10 Second Club

if he had an engine and trans with harness and computer already.. and just wanted to get it running...

$2000 id say, give or take. lots of time though
Old 12-10-2006, 05:01 PM
TECH Resident

Hes looking at about a couple years from now to do this, and will likely depend on me to help him through this lol.. Either way, I love working on trucks and cars, so im willing.. Hes getting some money when he turns 21(another year and half) so hes got plenty of time to start saving up for it.. Honestly, I think I want to do this to his blazer more than him, which is where hes likely to get the motor and tranny from.. Once my 408 is doen and I get a new tranny for it i'll have those to spare for him.

Thanks for the replies!

-Lurius

PS: philntx: He actually lives here in Arlington, but frequently goes to plano to visit his family, If you ever go to a track sometime PM me and i'll see if I can drag him there with me to see you run your blazer. We were looking at it on the threads here earlier.
Old 12-10-2006, 05:38 PM
Banned

You know, I was going to post a similar question and wanted to piggy back if you don't mind.....I have a 2002 trailblazer EXT. It came with the V6. would like to drop the LS1 or LQ9 engine in the car. Has anybody done this successfully as well? A friend of mine believes it would be simple because the car had a v8 option. Any one done this?
Old 12-10-2006, 06:16 PM
TECH Resident

Probobly easier than the blazer v8, yea. Bigger engine bay first off, and if there a v8 option you could just get the radiator from a v8 TB and put it on.

-Lurius
Old 12-10-2006, 09:43 PM
TECH Resident

The 02 is easier because factory parts are available. Just find a totaled 5.3 Trailblazer or Envoy.
Old 12-10-2006, 09:44 PM
TECH Resident

I would be more than happy to show him my truck. (and explain the "true" costs to a conversion like this)

QUOTE=Lurius]Hes looking at about a couple years from now to do this, and will likely depend on me to help him through this lol.. Either way, I love working on trucks and cars, so im willing.. Hes getting some money when he turns 21(another year and half) so hes got plenty of time to start saving up for it.. Honestly, I think I want to do this to his blazer more than him, which is where hes likely to get the motor and tranny from.. Once my 408 is doen and I get a new tranny for it i'll have those to spare for him.

Thanks for the replies!

-Lurius

PS: philntx: He actually lives here in Arlington, but frequently goes to plano to visit his family, If you ever go to a track sometime PM me and i'll see if I can drag him there with me to see you run your blazer. We were looking at it on the threads here earlier.[/QUOTE]
Old 12-10-2006, 10:17 PM
12 Second Club

they make this already, with a warrenty! trailblazer ss

Quick Reply: Price of v8 swap to a v6 2000 blazer?