Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom A/C system

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 05:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Custom A/C system

I've read it in bits and pieces, but there was a discussion about the type of A/C compressor to use with the aftermarket systems. Do we have a vendor on board that is doing the complete system for the LS1 conversions with correct compressor and adapter bracket? I would like to put one in my '69 Camaro, but most kits I've seen only offer for original engine only. Thanks, Toby!
Old 05-15-2007, 09:29 PM
Launching!

I think that any of the aftermarket A/C systems would work with the stock F-body, or Corvette, or truck A/C compressor will work (whichever accessory drive set you have, use that compressor). The compressor is basically a pump for the A/C system and is sized for the amount of cooling to be done, not the specific system it's in, generally speaking. Check out the latest issue of Hot Rod, they have a pretty informative article on A/C system retrofits and all the components needed. I think the toughest part is getting the ECM to run the system (if you're running EFI).
Old 05-15-2007, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Generally the aftermarket systems use a Sanden compressor. Street and Performance and ATS both have kits complete with the compressor. I used the Street and Performance system with my own Sanden compressor. Some people have adapted a variety of OEM compressors as well.

Pat
Old 05-16-2007, 08:54 AM
Launching!

vintage air has the setup for your car. they also have a bracket to install a sanden comp in the stock location. talk to frank at prodigy customs or his website gpsuperstore
Old 05-17-2007, 12:12 AM
On The Tree

The Sanden compressor can be mounted in several ways. The bracket that Vintage Air sells for a LS1 engine require a lot of cutting in the crossmember and it will reduce the strenght of the crossmember. The ATS kit is best, it will move the compressor forward enough so that no cuttings is needed. It also includes a new crank damper/pulley. Both of these are mounted low.

The other route is to mount it high, up next to the cylinder head, Street&Performance has a kit like that.

There are also ways of doing your own bracket, several examples could be found here.

You will also find wiring diagrams here that shows how to connect the Sanden to the PCM, wich is the best way to run it. The idle will go up when the AC starts and the cooling fans will be activated too.

Jan
Old 05-17-2007, 10:23 AM
Launching!

Newman Car Creations also sells a bracket kit to mount the A/C at the top of the motor, although I don't know how much it cost. I think it uses the factory idle tensioner, but needs a longer belt. From looking at their website, it looks like it might only be for a Corvette accessory package as well.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:59 PM
TECH Resident

I used a stock F body setup with a stock GM compressor with my Hot Rod Air components. I had to use the adapter block on the rear of the compressor so I could make up my lines with the aftermarket fittings. The GM compressor is a variable output unit but it works just fine with the TXV type system.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:52 PM
TECH Resident

Question Sanden Compressor Inlet/Outlet

Speaking of the Sanden 508 compressor, does anyone know, off the top of there head, what size of the inlet and outlets are? Are they -6, or -8 hose ends, or?? Thanks, Gar
Old 05-21-2007, 09:30 AM
TECH Resident

Lightbulb Sanden 508 Port Sizes

O.k...after quite a bit of research on the web, I believe the following to be the standard port connection sizing for the Sanden 508 A/C compressor: There are two ports, one larger than the other. The suction side is 5/8"(-10)...and the discharge side is 1/2"(-8). The hose end fitting type reqiured is called a BeadLock fitting. These are female with a o-ring inside.

Quick Reply: Custom A/C system