Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Motor Mounts for a G-Body

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2003, 05:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 Motor Mounts for a G-Body

I am thinking about puting an LS1 in my 79 Malibu. I was wondering if anyone makes motor mounts for it? Thanks for the help. Great site. Andy
Old 05-08-2003, 10:07 PM
Launching!

Default Re: LS1 Motor Mounts for a G-Body

If you can't find anyone who makes them specifically for your car, you can go this route. Roy at www.thirdgenresource.com sold me the U shaped brackets only for $40.00 shipped. You could see how John at www.speartech.com did his in the F-Body that he did, and yours would work the same way. Check out his 91 project to see how he fabbed his up.
Old 05-08-2003, 11:36 PM

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I sell the G-body specific LS1 motor mounts for $150. You'll also need a modified oil pan or else you'll have to torch your frame for clearance. These sell for $250/exchange and with my mounts and modified pan you can drop the motor right in!
Old 05-10-2003, 09:55 PM
Teching In

John, I have been on your web site before! As a matter of fact I bought one of your clutch pedal brackets. I didn't think were selling motor mounts. With your motor mounts can I use my current transmission crossmember. I have a T56 G - Force crossmember in the car now with a 406 SBC (stock motor mounts). How many motor mounts do you have? If I buy a set it will be a couple of months. By the way awesome car, how do you like the bigger sway bars? Thanks Andy Smith
Old 05-11-2003, 03:29 PM

With your motor mounts can I use my current transmission crossmember.
You should be able to but might have to elogate the mounting tab a bit because the motor will sit about 5/8" closer to the front of the car.

Thanks for the positive feedback and the big sway bars are very nice!
Old 11-13-2004, 06:44 PM
Teching In

Default information on mounts and other related questions

Originally Posted by John B
I sell the G-body specific LS1 motor mounts for $150. You'll also need a modified oil pan or else you'll have to torch your frame for clearance. These sell for $250/exchange and with my mounts and modified pan you can drop the motor right in!
You sell both pan and mounts for 250? Where can I get them? Have number or address? Take credit cards. Also do you notice a huge difference in the LS6 vs. LS1 as far as performance? I am going to put on or the other in this month and since I can not find a LS6 here in town I am settling for the LS1. Don't really want to but I am on a time budget. Gotta finish my car around the new year. 1986 Cutlass Supreme. Please email me at shroomopolis@yahoo.com Would love to talk to you about your car and great web site. Michael

Last edited by shroomer1297; 11-13-2004 at 07:09 PM.
Old 11-14-2004, 11:12 PM

Please email me at shroomopolis@yahoo.com Would love to talk to you about your car and great web site. Michael
Thanks Michael! E-mail sent!
Old 02-23-2005, 04:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I may be jumping into this list. I need to see what I need to do for headers, and a few other things.

Chris
Old 03-04-2005, 12:23 AM
Teching In

Default pan...

i have a steel pan for conversions pm me...
Old 03-15-2005, 10:14 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default John B motor mounts 5/8" forward

John B, when did you discover your motor mounts move the engine forward 5/8"? Can your motor mounts be moved back 5/8" and then will the stock oil pan clear?

Was there a reason the engine is moved 5/8" forward, like to clear the alt or anything?

I am going to swap an LS1 into my '86 Elcamino this summer so I would like to go with the best setup to mount the engine and tranny.
Old 03-18-2005, 10:48 AM

John B, when did you discover your motor mounts move the engine forward 5/8"? Can your motor mounts be moved back 5/8" and then will the stock oil pan clear?

Was there a reason the engine is moved 5/8" forward, like to clear the alt or anything?
The motor mounts are set to clear the alternator at the power steering pump and the passenger cylinder head at the firewall/Air Conditioning shroud so the motor can't be moved back 5/8".
Old 03-18-2005, 02:51 PM
Launching!

Default I'm sold now on your mounts....

The motor mounts are set to clear the alternator at the power steering pump and the passenger cylinder head at the firewall/Air Conditioning shroud so the motor can't be moved back 5/8".
Thanks John B for the info. I am sold on your motor mounts now. I am working on a deal for a 2001 Z06 LS6 motor with 11K miles on it and a 4l60 tranny out of truck to go with it. If or when I close the deal I will need to purchase your motor mounts and pan. If I send you a NEW oil pan can you have it modified and sent back to me instead of swapping it out with one you already have? If I purchase a new pan I just want it on my engine.

With the Corvette accessory set up I think I will not have an issue with altinator at the top and will only have to deal with the A/C compressor.

Talking to John at SpearTech he stated the A/C compressor on the Vette motor is about 1/4 to 1/2" further back as compared to the F-Body.

SpearTech has a sweet motor-tranny setup that I am considering also. If I go with the other motor I will go with SpearTech for harness, computer, and drive by wire.

Thanks again John B, I will be intouch before the end of April. I will probably also be reading your conversion site as I am doing mine on my '86 Elcamino.
Old 05-22-2005, 03:43 PM
Launching!

Default Have Pan need it modified

John B,

I have aquired a F-Body oil pan and now need to ship it to you for the mod. I do have a few questions. Since you knotch the pan which reduces the oil capacity can you add some expansion on the sides of the oil pan to bring back the oil capacity? Also what parts of the pan do you need, oil pan, pickup tube, pan baffle, windage tray?

I also want to purchase your motor mounts. Which rubber mounts do I need to buy, do you have a year and part number?

Fuel Pump, which one did you use? I can get a FI fuel tank for the '86 Elco and I have found a FI sending unit just need a fuel pump for the 58psi the LS1 demands to mount in the tank, which one did you use?

FYI
I am going to probably knotch my frame to clear the A/C compressor to use stock belts however I will look at how much it requires to remove and how I will need to re-strengthen before making the full decision. If I don't like it then I will proably go for relocating the A/C to the top of the engine.

So with these questions please answer or send me a PM as I am ready to send you the oil pan to mod. Very interested in adding oil pan extensions to add oil capacity. Also need your engine mounts.

James
Old 05-26-2005, 08:55 PM

James, did you get your questions answered in the e-mail that I sent you?
Old 05-26-2005, 09:25 PM
Launching!

James, did you get your questions answered in the e-mail that I sent you?
Yes, you answered my questions. With the loss of 1/2 quart of oil with the modified oil pan I can live with that.

Oh, one last item. The oil pan I sent you looked brand new never used, so if it looks newer than the one you have on your shelf I am willing to wait for the pan I sent you to modify. I purchase from 5.3racer on another post.

James

Quick Reply: LS1 Motor Mounts for a G-Body