Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The G-Body Swap Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 08:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't read this whole thread but was wondering if F-body LS1 headers will work on the G-body?

I was building a drag only 85 SS but right now on the fence wheither to continue or abandon the project. There are a few LQ4 in my area that are going cheap and want to build a carb version using the front mounted distributor. Most of the engine area is stripped of A/C/heater setup plus using a manual steering box so there is plenty of room.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 85ss
Fuel tank - G Body, V6 w/fuel injection
Sender - GM # 25092742
Pump - AC Delco # EP241
Contact Shawn at http://www.RetroLsx.com for anything else needed, wiring, etc. He does a lot with the G Body's.
I actually just used my factory 87 monte tank...just sucks cause it wasnt baffled. Stuck the GN sending unit and a walbro pump in the tank.

Originally Posted by nutiger
I haven't read this whole thread but was wondering if F-body LS1 headers will work on the G-body?

I was building a drag only 85 SS but right now on the fence wheither to continue or abandon the project. There are a few LQ4 in my area that are going cheap and want to build a carb version using the front mounted distributor. Most of the engine area is stripped of A/C/heater setup plus using a manual steering box so there is plenty of room.
The pacesetter headers look an aweful like the swap headers I think edelbrock makes. I've ordered a set and gunna see how well they work in the car after i get the motor back from the machine shop. From what I understand there's no problem on the drivers side but the passenger side involves some fitting. Think I can cut some tubes reclock them and all will work out fine. When i get it done I'll take some pictures for you guys. Like I said though the motors at the machine shop and I'm in the middle of swapping the stuff from the wrecked car I had swapped into the new build.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:18 PM
On The Tree

Have a question for you guys as well...Does anyone know the difference between the two different brake boosters in Monte Carlos? My 87 ls car has a smaller diameter yet thicker booster then my 86 ss car has. I know a guy that has a ss car that is wanting to buy a booster, but when I showed him the one on my ss he said it was the wrong one and is the one like whats on my ls car. Any real difference in them as far as performance or will they work the same on either brake system?
Old 03-08-2010, 10:41 AM
Teching In

The smaller diameter / thicker booster is a dual diaphragm unit and the larger diameter / thinner one is a single diaphragm. My '85 (built 5/85) came with the single diaphragm one and when it needed to be replaced the shop put on the dual style, that may be the only one available now. I can't say that I noticed any difference between the two. It was either '86 or '87 when GM changed to the dual type. Also the dual type uses a longer pushrod.
Larry.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 85ss
The smaller diameter / thicker booster is a dual diaphragm unit and the larger diameter / thinner one is a single diaphragm. My '85 (built 5/85) came with the single diaphragm one and when it needed to be replaced the shop put on the dual style, that may be the only one available now. I can't say that I noticed any difference between the two. It was either '86 or '87 when GM changed to the dual type. Also the dual type uses a longer pushrod.
Larry.
Thanks...didn't figure it would make a difference, but I figured some one on here would know for sure. Just gotta make sure I keep the rods with the correct booster then. Thanks again
Old 03-08-2010, 08:20 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by nutiger

i have 98 f body hooker headers on my monte drivers side fits mint pass side little masaging on tube by frame little dent and she fits fine.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by littlefranks
i have 98 f body hooker headers on my monte drivers side fits mint pass side little masaging on tube by frame little dent and she fits fine.
Question bout your intake...pming you.
Old 03-13-2010, 01:29 PM
Teching In

here are some picks of my swap
I used the caddy cts-v oil pan and made custom engine mounts.
the pan is safe
the ac pump has plenty of clearance
I have not had to notch the heater housing.

Old 03-13-2010, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 81cuttysupreme
fella's, sup? i'm still working on my swap. it's taking a while b/c i keep fixing or upgrading other things along the way. i'm still trying to get to the bottom of my gauge issues. i'm assuming the reason most people swap the senders on the LS motors is so they can use their original gauges? is this right? my gauges are horrible in my 81 cutlass. all i have is a granny speedo and a fuel gauge, the rest are dummy lights. so what i've been trying to figure out is if i can buy aftermarket gauges that will work with the original LS1 senders??? if so, i think this is the better route for me since my instrumentation is pretty horrible. what would the difficulties be with this route??? keep in mind i'm electrically challenged.

thanks.
I have a question similar to yours. I'm using GM's 97 - 98 F-body three wire temp sender and want to know if anyone has any idea of which gauge/s works with this sender.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Monte4ever
I have a question similar to yours. I'm using GM's 97 - 98 F-body three wire temp sender and want to know if anyone has any idea of which gauge/s works with this sender.
If you have the stock g-body gauge, I can turn down a stock sender on my lathe and re-thread it to 12MM for you. Then you can screw it into the passenger side head.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:03 PM
TECH Regular

Bringing this thread back to the top. My question is about fuel sending units. I bought an EFI tank for the Monte from 1A Auto (free shipping) and sending unit from Rock Auto pn: FG156A (sprectra). A few pages back someone was talking about changing the lines to larger ones? Is this necessary? I will be dropping in a stock 2004 5.3 and use a Walbro255...do the lines need to be changed or will it feed my engine properly in its current state?

Also what is going on with connecting the 255 to the harness that is being modded by current performance? There was talk about having to change plugs or something that I didn't really understand as I read through.

TIA,
Mike
Old 04-13-2010, 06:21 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are installing a fuel injected engine, you have to change the fuel lines not because of capacity, but rather to handle the huge increase in line pressure generated by the fuel injection capable pump (Walbro 255lph for example). 100 psi line required. Carb'd cars use a fuel line built to handle 15 psi.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:35 PM
TECH Regular

I'm sorry, I meant to say the lines that come right off the sending unit...those 3, ~5" long hard lines that come right off the sending unit with flared ends to hook up the lines (supply, return, vent).
Old 04-13-2010, 11:29 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The EFI sending unit should already have the 3/8" feed line and 5/16 return, so you should be good to go.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:34 PM
On The Tree

I'm very new into LS1 G-Body swaps and still need a lot of infos how to do it. I'm in Germany and its very hard to get any parts for the swap. So I need you guys help!
What kind of fuel lines/system (pump and everything) you used for the G-body? I'm rebuilding a 79 Monte Carlo and I want to swap a LS1 with T56 in there.

Any good write-ups / part-lists? I need online shops where and what to order for my swap. Kinda like catalog friendly. You also can PM or email me cruizinkev@gmail.com

Thanks guys!
-Kevin
Old 04-27-2010, 06:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Do a search on the net for "bzdel". He has put an LS1, and then upgraded to an LS7, in his 87 Monte SS. Different body but overall is the same as a 79. He has very detailed information on what was done to get it done, pics and everything. Good information.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:58 PM
Teching In

anyone have a trand dapt part no. for motor mounts that are a drop in install needing no mods. not looking for brp.
Old 05-13-2010, 01:20 AM
Staging Lane

Hey guys just got my motor and getting all my parts together for my conversion. So far I pretty much have everything figured out but wanted some input on fuel system. Did all of you run the 4.3 tank? Any body have pics of there fuel tank setup pumps etc?
Old 05-13-2010, 05:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by sschevyss
Hey guys just got my motor and getting all my parts together for my conversion. So far I pretty much have everything figured out but wanted some input on fuel system. Did all of you run the 4.3 tank? Any body have pics of there fuel tank setup pumps etc?
I ran the 305 tank with the 4.3 sending unit and stuck a walbro in it. Sending unit locks in just fine, but the tank isn't baffled like the 4.3 tank so make sure you keep the fuel level up if you intend on running it hard.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:22 AM
10 Second Club

i used a fuel cell vented outside car corvette fuel filter ,proform 220lph pump works fine.

Quick Reply: The G-Body Swap Thread