Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The G-Body Swap Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 08:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok, well first things first. i'm confused about the oil pressure sensor on the LS1, sits behind the intake. if i had an electric oil pressure gauge would this not be a direct connect? for an fbody is this not hooked up to a pressure gauge? why is it difficult to switch over to electric gauges? do the fbodies have electric gauges?

my factory gauges are not that great. i have a sweeper speedo, and the rest is all dummy lights. so that's a big reason why i want to switch gauges. i just figured with the 4l60e electric gauges would be the easiest. as you can tell i dont have this figured out, so your input is greatly appreciated. or if you want to just come over to my house and help me hook allthis stuff up i could live with that too. haha.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You can hook up your oil pressure behind the intake. You just need an adapter. Since your car didn't have all of the gauges from the factory, sounds like you'll have some fun.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:54 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Monte4ever
Someone may want to take them up on this if you stay in their area.

http://www.maliburacing.com/forum/vi...p?f=29&t=88413
pacesetter
Old 01-06-2010, 09:57 PM
Staging Lane

Item number: 120513316951 ebay help me out sorry for the highjack
Old 01-13-2010, 04:01 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by John B
The weight difference with the LS motor may raise the front about 1/2" over the stock motor once settled.
It looks like its even greater than 1/2" on mine, such that I was planning on raising the rear to match the front and then slap on some tweny-foes
Old 01-13-2010, 07:07 PM
Launching!

Because i have several cars and intend to buy more, and because i like the "big wheel thing" My first Gen III or IV conversion is my fairly clean 79 Coupe Deville and my take on a donk or high riser ( gone wrong ) with 26's and an L92 headed Lq9 with the usual bolt on's,,, but not all jacked up, lift kit and... yet with great suspension and ride call it Pro Big Wheel Touring or sum shhh so 8X for what ^^^ he said... so now that i've... you because i'm... i'll....
Old 01-14-2010, 02:04 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by kj598bbc
because i like the "big wheel thing" My first Gen III or IV conversion is my fairly clean 79 Coupe Deville and my take on a donk or high riser ( gone wrong ) with 26's and an L92 headed Lq9 with the usual bolt on's,,, but not all jacked up, lift kit and... yet with great suspension and ride
Ok I’ll admit I was being facetious when I said I was thinking about raising the rear to match the front and putting on 24”. But seriously, when you talk about great ride and suspension… it relates to me in terms of quality….. In short, if ride quality and suspension is your goal, then making your car a “high riser” would seem to go in the opposite direction to achieve that goal along with throwing handling characteristics (cornering, specifically) out the window.

Don’t get me wrong.. I’m all about doing what you want to do to achieve the desired results.. My philosophy is to each his own….

I guess I’m trying to understand what you mean by great ride and suspension... If you mean the quality of the appearance then I understand..

In addition to handling going out the window...To me it no longer looks like an SS but rather an aircraft coming in for a landing, but again to each his own..

Last edited by 2Aspire; 01-14-2010 at 03:04 PM.
Old 01-14-2010, 03:27 PM
Launching!

Again not to thread jack and Seriously I would never no way, no damm how do that to a Mcss ! And that looks like **** by the way, and could easily fit 28's. I am definitely goin to accomplish GREAT suspension and ride and it will be a fully documented build. Again i like several "styles" of car, because my car is a 79 Caddy coupe, that has plenty of room for 24's with NO suspension mods, I am goin to rock it out with 6's. My sig has some of my other cars that are more stock "appearing". Bottom line my goal is swapping a Gen III or Gen IV in almost everything i own. My Caddy is gonna sit half as high (or less) with GREAT suspension and ride AND have 26's. And i'll keep my vette rally's on my 79 Caprice coupe and my 79 Malibu coupe....
Old 01-14-2010, 04:30 PM
Launching!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

A friend of mine is about to do a Regal with LQ4 and a front mount turbo, does anyone have a similar swap they can post some pics of? Hes got the BRP kit and LH8 Pan, if anyone's got a pic of front mount turbo and a/c, post them up!
Old 01-14-2010, 08:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 12SEC SS
A friend of mine is about to do a Regal with LQ4 and a front mount turbo, does anyone have a similar swap they can post some pics of? Hes got the BRP kit and LH8 Pan, if anyone's got a pic of front mount turbo and a/c, post them up!
Might try looking in the forced induction section. here's a link to a thread started by yours truely...
https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...fi-setups.html
Old 01-14-2010, 08:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2Aspire
It looks like its even greater than 1/2" on mine, such that I was planning on raising the rear to match the front and then slap on some tweny-foes
mine seemed to sit pretty high after the swap also...bad enough some of my bodies refered to it as the 4wd monte carlo.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:47 PM
TECH Regular

Thought you guys might want to see some pics of my swap. I am almost done, just having a little trouble with wiring. 1984 Chevy El Camino, 2001 ls1, afr 205's 62cc, g5x3 on 112, ported fast 90/90, hsw 200 shot 90mm wet plate, Continental 3800 stall w/ th400, GN 8.5 rear 3.73's. Fuel system is Magnafuel Protuner pump w/ 16 gal fuel cell, shifter is b&m pro ratchet. My Ram air intake was custom made by me...i took 4" plastic 90 degree elbows that can be found in the plumbing section at home depot...cut each 90 deg. elbow in half and glued them together with jbweld. I sanded down the jbweld inside the "Y" so it wouldn't effect air flow, then i attached 4" straight tube that i cut to my measurements. Inside the 4" straight tube is Spectre's inline fuel filters (pn 880100) that are rated to 450hp each filter. I am going use two more 90 deg. elbows to route the tubing to each inner light where the high beams are usually located on 1980-87 El caminos. I will put wire mesh over the 6.5 by 4" rectangular headlight funnels (pn 9787) that fit directly where the lights use to be. All tubing is connected with Spectre's 4" couplers. My Engine compartment is a little dirty but here are the pics:
Attached Thumbnails The G-Body Swap Thread-img00038.jpg   The G-Body Swap Thread-img00177.jpg   The G-Body Swap Thread-img00210.jpg   The G-Body Swap Thread-img00214.jpg  

Last edited by deeloc1; 01-15-2010 at 10:09 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Monte LS....1
Might try looking in the forced induction section. here's a link to a thread started by yours truely...
https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...fi-setups.html
Theres some pics of my turbo setup in my build. Last I heard the guy who bought it was selling it.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

He actually has a PT88 to go on them, so he plans to use them unless the right offer comes along.. just need a fuel system and tranny....
Old 01-18-2010, 07:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Haha. Was wondering if you'd post up. Hopefully someone will put that setup to good use soon.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:32 AM
On The Tree

fella's, sup? i'm still working on my swap. it's taking a while b/c i keep fixing or upgrading other things along the way. i'm still trying to get to the bottom of my gauge issues. i'm assuming the reason most people swap the senders on the LS motors is so they can use their original gauges? is this right? my gauges are horrible in my 81 cutlass. all i have is a granny speedo and a fuel gauge, the rest are dummy lights. so what i've been trying to figure out is if i can buy aftermarket gauges that will work with the original LS1 senders??? if so, i think this is the better route for me since my instrumentation is pretty horrible. what would the difficulties be with this route??? keep in mind i'm electrically challenged.

thanks.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 81cuttysupreme
fella's, sup? i'm still working on my swap. it's taking a while b/c i keep fixing or upgrading other things along the way. i'm still trying to get to the bottom of my gauge issues. i'm assuming the reason most people swap the senders on the LS motors is so they can use their original gauges? is this right? my gauges are horrible in my 81 cutlass. all i have is a granny speedo and a fuel gauge, the rest are dummy lights. so what i've been trying to figure out is if i can buy aftermarket gauges that will work with the original LS1 senders??? if so, i think this is the better route for me since my instrumentation is pretty horrible. what would the difficulties be with this route??? keep in mind i'm electrically challenged.

thanks.
There are a few companys that make a digital cluster that fits into the stock position. You should be able to then find all the required adapters if any are needed to stick the sending units into the lsx...I had actually thought about trying to pickup a monte carlo ss cluster to stick in mine, but figured by the time I bought the converter for the speedo and crap I could do brand new after market guages. Anyone know if they make aftermarket guages that would fit in the stock bezels?
Old 01-24-2010, 06:17 PM
On The Tree

what adapters? so no matter what gauges i buy, the stock senders will not worK?
Old 02-18-2010, 10:14 AM
On The Tree

hi everybody! my 79 MC will get a LS1 with the T56 soon. I'm in Germany and parts and all infos are rare. Still learning from you guys. At the moment Idk what to do with the fuel input. I heard I should use a EFI tank from a newer g-body? any shops/links what fuel things to get?
Old 02-18-2010, 07:04 PM
Teching In

Fuel tank - G Body, V6 w/fuel injection
Sender - GM # 25092742
Pump - AC Delco # EP241
Contact Shawn at http://www.RetroLsx.com for anything else needed, wiring, etc. He does a lot with the G Body's.

Quick Reply: The G-Body Swap Thread