Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The G-Body Swap Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 09:55 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on another successful Ls swap. Time to tune & de-bug er.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:06 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don`t have a pic from that angle. I will check tomorrow, but I don`t think I can even see the linkage from the top side with the motor in. I have only lived in DG for a couple years, I`m from chicago. I hear you on the spare time thing. I`m on a rotating work schedule, and that sux, couldn`t imagine being out of the country.

Originally Posted by 2Aspire
Thanks G-body! I appreciate it..

One last question.. Do you happen to have a picture with a view from the angle posted below?
BTW... other than the fact that I'm out of the country currently.. Normally, I'm very close to where you are.. My old stomping ground ( Downers Grove) where I went to highschool.. The next question would be South? North? and what year? lol

Anyway.. just mentioned as it would probably be nice to shoot the sh%t with you some time.. With all my spare time.. lol

Thanks again.. Matt
Old 10-20-2009, 08:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Monte88
Nice car! sinister looking. Your plan sounds good but I would use the msd 6010 instead of the dist for the tuning capabilities.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are you guys using for power steering lines?
Old 10-20-2009, 10:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

With the truck acc drive it uses an old style pump. I used the truck pressure lines as I swapped in hydroboost, with the stock return line from the car.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by HILROD
With the truck acc drive it uses an old style pump. I used the truck pressure lines as I swapped in hydroboost, with the stock return line from the car.
I've got the f body acc drive and using the stock gear box...i cut the hard line out of the factory line and had a fitting brazed onto the end of it and ran a -6 to the f body pump. worked for a day and then I guess something with the oring messed up and I cant get it to stop leaking even with a new o ring. Curious if anyone has a remedy for it. A friend had a fitting that came with two different brass inserts to fit a gear box and one of the inserts looks just like the bottom of the factory monte line, but the brass insert is slightly longer and wont allow the new fitting to screw into the box far enough...if pictures would help, I can try to get some. Really sux that something this pesky is keeping me from driving the car, as I totally loved those first 50 miles or so.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:54 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by G-Body
I don`t have a pic from that angle. I will check tomorrow, but I don`t think I can even see the linkage from the top side with the motor in. I have only lived in DG for a couple years, I`m from chicago. I hear you on the spare time thing. I`m on a rotating work schedule, and that sux, couldn`t imagine being out of the country.
Thanks, I appreciate it.. I will probably just have to bite the bullet and then chronicle what has to be done to get it to work..

A rotating work schedule would definitely suck.. And your right.. being out of the country for work really sucks as well....However, Im glad to be on a work schedule of any kind these days...

Originally Posted by Monte LS....1
Finally got the car driving around on saturday so went and got the exhaust put on. Drove bout an hour to a drag strip in it and ran a 8.1 in the 8th with the factory tune and leaving somewhat easy. Pretty happy bout it myself.
Nice job...
Old 10-22-2009, 08:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Monte LS....1
I've got the f body acc drive and using the stock gear box...i cut the hard line out of the factory line and had a fitting brazed onto the end of it and ran a -6 to the f body pump. worked for a day and then I guess something with the oring messed up and I cant get it to stop leaking even with a new o ring. Curious if anyone has a remedy for it. A friend had a fitting that came with two different brass inserts to fit a gear box and one of the inserts looks just like the bottom of the factory monte line, but the brass insert is slightly longer and wont allow the new fitting to screw into the box far enough...if pictures would help, I can try to get some. Really sux that something this pesky is keeping me from driving the car, as I totally loved those first 50 miles or so.
Im using a 98 s-10 pump which is similar to the f-body pump. I just used the line from the s10 and it boltet right on. It was a 4 cyl model fyi.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:39 AM

Thanks, I appreciate it.. I will probably just have to bite the bullet and then chronicle what has to be done to get it to work.
Sorry, forgot to check it......writing it on my hand now so that I remember to check tomorrow.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:49 AM

I checked out the linkage from the top and snapped a couple pics, but there really isn`t a good view. The top side of the linkage is all stock anyway. You do get a good view of the jeep grand cherokee U-Joint intermediate steering shaft though.
Attached Thumbnails The G-Body Swap Thread-shifter-top.jpg   The G-Body Swap Thread-shifter-top-2.jpg  
Old 10-23-2009, 08:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thought that looked familiar yet out of place. I work for Jeep LOL
Old 10-27-2009, 09:41 PM
Launching!

I checked out the linkage from the top and snapped a couple pics, but there really isn`t a good view. The top side of the linkage is all stock anyway. You do get a good view of the jeep grand cherokee U-Joint intermediate steering shaft though.
Hi G-body.. Just got back to the states.. Thanks for the pictures.. I appreciate it.. Its good enough..

Interesting choice on the on the steering u-joint.. But hey.. It obviously works!
Old 10-28-2009, 12:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Someone may want to take them up on this if you stay in their area.

http://www.maliburacing.com/forum/vi...p?f=29&t=88413
Old 10-29-2009, 12:23 AM

Interesting choice on the on the steering u-joint.. But hey.. It obviously works!
I decided it was time to stop destroying the GM rag joints. I think I killed 3 of those things. I read about the jeep shaft on the MCSS site IIRC and it basically was a bolt in. Just had to grind a slight depression in the steering shaft so the bolt could clear and lock everything together. It has a better more connected steering feel than even a new rag joint had. Best $10 steering upgrade ever.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:54 AM
Launching!

I decided it was time to stop destroying the GM rag joints. I think I killed 3 of those things. I read about the jeep shaft on the MCSS site IIRC and it basically was a bolt in. Just had to grind a slight depression in the steering shaft so the bolt could clear and lock everything together. It has a better more connected steering feel than even a new rag joint had. Best $10 steering upgrade ever.
So weird.. Before you posted about this.. I was browsing the MCSS site in the parts for sale section.. A guy had these for sale.. Since I had seen yours already, I decided to see what the deal was as the for sale thread didn’t detail.. As you stated I found that it cleans up the slop and eliminates the need to replace the old rag joint style repetitively..

What I couldn’t find was if it helps or hinders header clearance or if clearance simply remains the same..
Old 10-29-2009, 03:58 PM
Teching In

Default bolt on exhaust

Hi
It does not take an idiot to figer that the words “bolt on” are close to blasphemy here but I need the help so here go´s
I have got to the last things on my list after a long build and was wondering about exhaust systems.
The thing is that I can not get hold of an exhaust system in Costa Rica and thought I should cheek in here to see if any one has bought a “bolt on” system.
Running the stock lm7 with a 4l60e with car intake, I have headers from S&P and was thinking of running a “true two” system with a x-pipe. The cross member has been built as a replica of the original but modified to fit a “true two” system.
Nearly forgot , I am using cats.
It all being shoe horned in to a 86 El Camino.
As I need to import a exhaust system all and any Ideas are welcome .
Old 10-29-2009, 07:04 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by evilelcamino
Hi
It does not take an idiot to figer that the words “bolt on” are close to blasphemy here but I need the help so here go´s
I have got to the last things on my list after a long build and was wondering about exhaust systems.
The thing is that I can not get hold of an exhaust system in Costa Rica and thought I should cheek in here to see if any one has bought a “bolt on” system.
Running the stock lm7 with a 4l60e with car intake, I have headers from S&P and was thinking of running a “true two” system with a x-pipe. The cross member has been built as a replica of the original but modified to fit a “true two” system.
Nearly forgot , I am using cats.
It all being shoe horned in to a 86 El Camino.
As I need to import a exhaust system all and any Ideas are welcome .
WE DONT MEAN to thread jack...so... just take a peek at a few major exhaust brands header back g-body bolt on systems, they've worked for me in the past on Elco's.

Last edited by kj598bbc; 10-29-2009 at 08:15 PM.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I fail to see how that would be off topic in the G-body swap thread since exhaust is part of the swap. Do you mind elaborating? We here at ls1tech dont condone newb on newb playa hating... Yo'

To answer the question: Given the amount of variables in an exhaust system esp given that its a camino. A muffler shop would be your best bet for a good fitting system. For the x pipe I would suggest getting a universal type kit from jegs or summit.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by topher455
I fail to see how that would be off topic in the G-body swap thread since exhaust is part of the swap. Do you mind elaborating? We here at ls1tech dont condone newb on newb playa hating... Yo'

To answer the question: Given the amount of variables in an exhaust system esp given that its a camino. A muffler shop would be your best bet for a good fitting system. For the x pipe I would suggest getting a universal type kit from jegs or summit.
You're right im wrong... and you're funny too.... newb..ha-ha, playa hatin ?? now i fail to understand. Been looking round this site forever, nothing newb about me cept the join date !!!

Last edited by kj598bbc; 10-29-2009 at 08:17 PM.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:23 AM
Teching In

I'm sorry I should have formulated the question differently.
In a land far away with few Chevy's and many 4 bangers we have to import ALL the parts that Chevys need. Now you are right when you say “do you home work “ and that I have, I found quit a few systems.
However very few of the so called “bolt on “ items we import to the land of few chevy's and many 4 banger dont really bolt on and have to be “adjusted” shall we say, and thats when the right engine is in the right car. Thats why I asked if any body has tried a “bolt on” system and got it to fit with little or no problems, that way I dont have to order some thing then ship it “ to the land of..”, to find out it wont fit.

Further more there is a reason why I only have 7 posts in two years and thats because 99% of the info is RIGHT here in this thread and others like it....Thanks to all for sharing in them....

Topher455 My brain must have been on cruise control with its pilot not in ...You are spot on ..a universal kit would be the right way to go, thanks for slapping me out of cruise control.

Quick Reply: The G-Body Swap Thread