Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The G-Body Swap Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 06:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I've owned 10 or so G bodies and every one had the rear offset to one side. Always the same side by around 3/8. My latest has a 9 inch and I centered it.
Old 10-04-2009, 03:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HILROD
I've owned 10 or so G bodies and every one had the rear offset to one side. Always the same side by around 3/8. My latest has a 9 inch and I centered it.
Which side have all of yours been of too?
Old 10-09-2009, 08:59 PM
On The Tree

Anybody have any ideas of how to get the column shift in my car to work...the stock stuff runs into exhaust near the engine.
Old 10-10-2009, 12:51 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Monte LS....1
Anybody have any ideas of how to get the column shift in my car to work...the stock stuff runs into exhaust near the engine.
What mounts and headers are you using?

Any pictures?
Old 10-10-2009, 08:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Connect a cable to the lever on the column and make a bracket to mount to the cable to the firewall? Seems to be the easiest solution.
Old 10-11-2009, 12:34 AM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have floor shift, but the column controls my indicator. I had to bend the Z bar flatter and then bend the lever than comes off of it to the outside of the car to get it to clear the exhaust. To make the rod from the column bolt up and follow the new arc I cut the end of it off and welded a bolt on so that I could use a heim joint on the end.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:22 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the info guys. I'll see what I can work out. I've got a buddy helping me out with this as well. I had ordered a kit from lokar that uses a cable and a bracket to run the cable on the other side of the column but it won't work. Worse comes to worse I guess I'll put one in the floor, but I kinda like the idea of leaving it on the column. Thanks again.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2Aspire
What mounts and headers are you using?

Any pictures?
using the brp mounts and no headers right now. Was going to try to make it to the lsx shoot out but not gunna make it. Guess there's always next year.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:12 AM
Launching!

using the brp mounts and no headers right now. Was going to try to make it to the lsx shoot out but not gunna make it. Guess there's always next year.
Reason I ask is because I have the same ( 86 Monte with Column Shift)

I have John Bs mounts and wanted to go with the BRP header but dont have enough info to pull the trigger yet..

If anyone has already.. The BRP headers with mounts that are placed close to the stock position.. and could post some pictures of the driver side area to where the column shift linkage comes down.. It would be appreciated.

To date I have no idea if its going to be a major deal or a simple tweak such as massaging the linkage as I had to with the standard motor and long tube headers for same application.. 800+ dollars for headers is a bit hard to swallow when you come to find out that theres no way in heck there going to fit with a column shift... and to tranfer over to console shift is not cheap nor real simple either
Old 10-12-2009, 11:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2Aspire
Reason I ask is because I have the same ( 86 Monte with Column Shift)

I have John Bs mounts and wanted to go with the BRP header but dont have enough info to pull the trigger yet..

If anyone has already.. The BRP headers with mounts that are placed close to the stock position.. and could post some pictures of the driver side area to where the column shift linkage comes down.. It would be appreciated.

To date I have no idea if its going to be a major deal or a simple tweak such as massaging the linkage as I had to with the standard motor and long tube headers for same application.. 800+ dollars for headers is a bit hard to swallow when you come to find out that theres no way in heck there going to fit with a column shift... and to tranfer over to console shift is not cheap nor real simple either
Not sure how close the position of my motor is to the original, but the brp kit i used actually bolts into the same holes as the factory mounts. If you'd like, I can take a picture or two of the linkage area around the stock f-body manifolds. I've also not forked out the money for the headers just yet.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:04 PM
Launching!

Not sure how close the position of my motor is to the original, but the brp kit i used actually bolts into the same holes as the factory mounts. If you'd like, I can take a picture or two of the linkage area around the stock f-body manifolds. I've also not forked out the money for the headers just yet.
Yes that would be greatly appreciated..
Old 10-13-2009, 05:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by G-Body
I have floor shift, but the column controls my indicator.
So you have a cloumn steering wheel ( thus column controlled indicator) but floor shift? Am I understanding this correctly?

What is the location of your motor? Could you post pictures of the linkage, zbar, bends\location relative to exhaust?

thanks,

Matt
Old 10-15-2009, 12:35 AM

Basically yes its a column shift wheel without the lever on it and has a factory floor shifter. the engine is pushed back as far as possible, had to notch the heater box to get it to fit and pass head is maybe half an inch off the firewall.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:58 AM

Heres the pics that I have.
Attached Thumbnails The G-Body Swap Thread-cat-shift-drive3.jpg   The G-Body Swap Thread-cat-shift-drive4.jpg   The G-Body Swap Thread-cat-shifter2.jpg   The G-Body Swap Thread-cat-shifter-drive.jpg   The G-Body Swap Thread-cat-shifter-drive2.jpg  

Old 10-15-2009, 06:19 AM
Launching!

Thanks G-body! I appreciate it..

One last question.. Do you happen to have a picture with a view from the angle posted below?
BTW... other than the fact that I'm out of the country currently.. Normally, I'm very close to where you are.. My old stomping ground ( Downers Grove) where I went to highschool.. The next question would be South? North? and what year? lol

Anyway.. just mentioned as it would probably be nice to shoot the sh%t with you some time.. With all my spare time.. lol

Thanks again.. Matt

Old 10-15-2009, 06:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I wish I would have done an LSx motor in the first place instead of an LT1. But I now have the LT1 running pretty good, & the 6 speed is a blast to drive. So instead of putting more $ in the LT1 I think I am going to keep my eyes out for a 6.0L truck engine, have it rebuilt with some different heads & then I will have to find another 6 speed & change it over.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:02 AM
Teching In

I guess I am the newest to the G-body LS1 club... I currently have an '88 MCSS with a 700Hp 350ci using a ProCharger. The car has been 129mph in the 1/4 on a 640hp tuneup. I also did a Tremec TKO conversion about 8yrs ago (which I will be keeping with the LS1. My plans are to install a mostly stock LS1 in the car for now with a carb and distributor conversion, and fab a single turbo setup for it...looking for around 520ish to the tires for now. This SHOULD be done by the end of this winter... over the next year or two (as $$ allows) I'll build up a better engine and shoot for 650-700 at the wheels. I'll keep throwing some updates out as they come! Here is what I'm starting with...

Old 10-15-2009, 08:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey Monte88, what mufflers you running? Sounds pretty good.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:50 AM
Teching In

It is a 2.5" straight dual system (no crossover) using Dynomax Race Magnum mufflers. I actually HATE the sound...too "poppy" for me. When I go with the turbo I'll be changing the whole system.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:48 PM
On The Tree

Finally got the car driving around on saturday so went and got the exhaust put on. Drove bout an hour to a drag strip in it and ran a 8.1 in the 8th with the factory tune and leaving somewhat easy. Pretty happy bout it myself. Anyone else have any times I can compare to with in a car with similar mods (gear,3600 stall, and cam)?

Quick Reply: The G-Body Swap Thread